homemade fish food

Yeah made food. Worked out well. Fish love it to bits. Feed half a block in morning and half at night. They are looking very healthy and don't let food even get to bottom of tank, it's all gone

Mmmmm, sounds much better now, also more understandable:thumbup:;)

Ok a quick one for the more knowledgeable (than me since I'm vegetarian;)) I have a friend that sells fresh seafood/fish here in Newcastle ... collects it from "some" market in Durbs in the wee hours of the a Saturday morning and drives to Newcastle straight after that with the stuff in a refrigerated trailer ... By lunch time most of his stuff is sold ... Yesterday I was passing by and he offered me some "inside guts" and other bits and pieces of fishes that people usually have asked him to "gut the fish" (I think the term is right???) - I'd like to know are these any good to put in the blender ? There's all kind of "wierd" looking pieces in this mix but all is from seafood 100% ... I can get like "checkers" packet full of this "mix" every week for free coz he says they usually throw this stuff away as we humans dont eat these "insides" ... I seen things like heads of fish, tails , interstines and other bits and bobs...... Any thoughts on this.....

Chikaboo, I would be afraid that it would foul the water very quickly. You would probably be fine if you fed small amounts once in a while, but IMO it wouldn't be worth it.....Just a little too messy for me.

I also would be very careful about the bones. Just one thing I would like to query is that most of the recipes I have read for making your own fish food, say when buying that marina mix you must remove the crab sticks and not include them. Do you do that?

Hey I was wondering if u could just chuck in a hake bone so the fish can scavenge off? Like a fresh 1 from a filleted hake?

It is a recipe Eric Borneman "invented":

Fish food and coral food (coral food is liquefied) Ingredients
  • a whole fresh sea fish
  • 10 whole shrimp - I squeeze the heads
  • 1 pound fresh mussels - cracked and scraped out
  • 1 pound fresh clams including clam juice
  • 1 8 oz container fresh oysters
  • 1-2 fresh or frozen squid, whole
  • 1 package frozen sea urchin cubes
  • 1 12 oz package artemia (brine shrimp, frozen), thawed
  • 6 types of dried seaweed Nori, Wakame, Hijiki, Dulse, Ano, etc.) - available at Whole Foods market, health food stores, Asian markets.
  • about 2 g. powdered sea greens/antioxidants or immune boost complex
  • 2 tbsp. marine flake
  • 2 tbsp. VibraGro
  • 2 tbsp. powdered spirulina
  • 1 tbsp Super Selco
Optional (found frozen in Asian markets)
  • ark shells
  • periwinkles, etc...
Method
  • Blend coarse ingredients in food processor
  • Mix in fine ingredients (Artemia, powders, flake, Selco)
  • Freeze in flats
This makes a LOT of food...approximately 10-12 quart size Ziploc flats.
OPTIONAL: I also make a pigment complex of multiple fresh and health food purchased pigmented animal and plant sources ( such as vegetables with rich colors, carotenoids, etc), mixed with some of the fish food, liquefied, and fed to corals at night.
Eric Borneman

Damn!!

This is an interesting if not expensive buffet. How long does a mix like this last? What is meant by coral food is liquified, how is it done?

Hey there Jacojs - you can bump all you want bud but it's a bit hard to answer your question as we all can make the same mix with the same quantities but because we have different amounts of fish and livestock the same amount of food will last each of us differently .... I hope this answers your question though.....

I hear ya man but come on don't tell me one person can use all that up in a month and another in six??

I just wanted an estimate cause a mix like that costs a lot I would guess, anyway thanks for the effort.

By the way the second part of my question has still not been answered, the liquidizing part. I know what it means but I just don't understand how when all of this is mixed/blended together the coral food is liquified, does it mean that half needs to be liquified and half just blended?

Looks like guys with foto's and tanks get more/better responses than guys that are trying to learn or figure stuff out. :nono:

:lol: Jacojs not true but sometimes we get caught up in the moment trying to help someone and neglect others - my appologies man ... A mix like this wont last a month by me bud .... I got a ton of fish..... and I like to keep them fat.... If you work out the costs not matter what the feeding regime is it still works out cheaper to make your own food ..... Take the marine mix from a pet shop about R50 .... x 10 packets = R500 .... All thoses ingredients will make about 20 packets of the marine mix portions at about the same price and a much bigger variety .... Liquified means just that - it is further blended untill very runny so it is easier for corals to feed on....

Making a big batch of food like this is a great thing to do at club meetings. Everyone can chip in on the costs and then divide the food up equally. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have a bunch of unwanted fish food.

Can anyone offer some recipes which could be put together for pollyps, mushrooms etc. what I refer to as general "plant" life.

Also - how detrimental would it be to narrow the ingredients down to say shrimp, muscles, fish, calamari/squid tenticles and garlic. I am looking to put a simplistic "menu" together of which can all be purchased at Pick 'n Pay or the like yet at the same time is nutritional enough.

feed them USN mass builder and steroids ;)

:lol: Jacojs not true but sometimes we get caught up in the moment trying to help someone and neglect others - my appologies man ... A mix like this wont last a month by me bud .... I got a ton of fish..... and I like to keep them fat.... If you work out the costs not matter what the feeding regime is it still works out cheaper to make your own food ..... Take the marine mix from a pet shop about R50 .... x 10 packets = R500 .... All thoses ingredients will make about 20 packets of the marine mix portions at about the same price and a much bigger variety .... Liquified means just that - it is further blended untill very runny so it is easier for corals to feed on....

Thanks man, I have read your thread and saw all your tanks......hectic man but very nice :thumbup: Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you say you buy the marine mix from Pick & Pay or was that someone else? Cause in your last post you say pet shop now I have gone cross eyed again :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom