Home renovations vs my tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 19 Feb 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Hi guys

I will be doing some renovations in my house over the next month or so (minor building & some painting), the rooms i will be renovating are adjacent to my dining room where my tank is. Any better ideas how to prevent dust / paint fumes etc contaminating my tank, rather than emptying a 700 + L tank and housing my lions, softies etc ??

my problem is the fact that this has to be a multi stage renovation so moving the tank may not be an option. Was thinking of making a huge "cover for the tank during the days they work it can then be taken off once contractors leave ....suggestions

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JD167

JD167

Building obviously generates a lot of dust and you don't want that to get into your tank. I'd say cover it up with some of the wife's bed linen and make sure there are no gaps. Just be careful for heat and that the linen don't touch any of the lights. MH's tend to get very hot!

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

A dust cover over the tank and sump - you'll need to keep the lights off - that will keep the dust out, but for the fumes, you'll need to keep all the available doors and windows open to keep the house clear.

5. amalick

amalick

Buy a standard car cover from Midas/Macro or something. Its +/- R400 bucks

6. amalick

amalick

You can borrow one that I have lying around - THats if you live in C.Town.

7. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

thanks sovar guys...sorry amalic, commuting between CT & PTA to feed the eel & lions will be a prob (not to mention petrol price :lol:)...thanks for offer though, didnt think of car cover...excellent idea...busy restoring a capri & fintail merc so i need to buy some anyways....

Mike thanks, i wil put on 1 or 2 large floor fans to try and keep dust away...also keep everything as open as possible (please nobody do the raindance)

8. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

How about running the air intake to you skimmer though some active carbon, don't know if that will help with the fumes or you can try one of those carbon cartridges they use on masks.

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

what are the dimensions?
    the best way is to create a postive air flow like in a bio-dome or virology lab so air only leaves

10. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

sorry dallas only read ur post now...tank size 1500 x 65 x 65 (with stand hight goes to 1600) I only have about 500 mm on the sides of the tank to work with....the 3 rooms being worked on are all open plan +-120 sqm....hope i make sense

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Frans - how about creating an area in a wall - to put your tank in, while you are BUSY renovating your house? Looks at Amalick/Ashraf's idea! LOL!

Recent Posts