Home made chiller

dallasg

Controversial Reefer, but knowledgeable!
Reaction score
hi,

my tank is running at a constant 27° and was thinking of ways to cool it down, so while staring at my pc, which is water-cooled, if added added a separate pump to the sump, say 400l etc and i passed the tube thru an aluminium block with a fan, like a heatsink think it would work? or would having pc fans blowing over the sump be better?

Dallas,

Yes, it would work , but IMO you would get a better cooling effect if you have a fan blowing directly onto the water surface.

Passing your water through a tube on a heatsink yields indirect cooling, which will lower the temp, but only slightly.

BTW: Why do you want to lower the temp ? 27 Deg is not high.

cool, i just ordered 6 80mm fans for my hood

thats without anylights, and my mh will be mounted this week...

ps. will be at you around 6ish

Yes, at ambient temp evaporative cooling will be much more effective.:thumbup:

thanks, will go the fan route :) might also help with the mh not cracking my tank again

Dallas - letting a fan or 2 blow over your algae scrubber (if you are going to build one like SantaMonica's) will also assist greatly in ensuring that your tank's water stays cooled down....

A tank temp of 27 degrees is perfectly OK. No need to worry there. Worry if it starts hitting 30 degrees

Dallas - letting a fan or 2 blow over your algae scrubber (if you are going to build one like SantaMonica's) will also assist greatly in ensuring that your tank's water stays cooled down....

yip :) its huge

hehe, i was using the heat sink from mine :)

Yip, I build a scrubber a while back and mounted a 220v PC server fan to blow directly onto my screen(80% shading) and it maintains the water at a constant 25.5-26 degrees, even with a 33 degrees measured temp outside the tank! Cheap and effective!:thumbup:

I can also vouch for the fan cooling, got a Papst 150mm 220V fan blowing into the sump and the sump cover forces the air to flow from the one side to the other. Very powerful, but causes high RO use. My fan is controlled by a thermostat that has a sensor in the water. In my case it is just used for high temp days as it is set to come on at 27.9 deg.

i am going to add the fans this week, bought a huge fan from makro as well, like a freaking jet plane to keep the air moving while i am at work, its the afternoon sun that hits my place and warms it, but atleast i know the temp is constantly at 27°

Just remember to have good surface movement in the tank for max gas exchange incase the temp goes up to ensure your live stock will have enough oxygen ;)

got plenty in sump and tank surface

Back
Top Bottom