Home Aquarium vs LFS

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rudeboy1, 22 Feb 2012.

1. rudeboy1

rudeboy1

Hi All

Something has really sparkled interest for me lately.

I see the LFS's use different sumps than what we do.

LFS use: Protein skimmer, bioballs, ceramic rings, sponges

We use: Protein skimmer, various reactors, DSB and various products such as seachem matrix, activated carbon and purigen.

Why can the LFS's use the inexpensive filtration? Is there a benefit for us to have all the various gadgets on our systems?

I see the LFS's keep clams, fish, coral, inverts, etc, etc in the tanks that we do with little fuss.

Can someone please explain why LFS's can use that filtration and we cant?

Sorry about the question just certain things are really expensive when it comes to reef keeping.

:eek:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

You must remember that LFS's keep the stock for short periods only. It comes and few days later sold. Bio-balls works very well to convert ammonia to nitrites and then to nitrates, but this where their function stops. It is ideal for large volumes of fish coming in and increasing the bioload all of a sudden. It is not long term.
    You can keep a tank with that filtration, but your nitrates will keep going up, so you'll need another method of exporting that.
    And btw, bioballs are bloody expensive.

4. kiwikid_1

kiwikid_1

with luck for the LFS their stock will only be there a day or 2...a couple of weeks at the most, so They don't need flash setups...

I know and importer here in NZ...500 -700 fish in 1600ltrs with a skimmer suited for maybe 800ltrs and Bio balls.....Thats it! but the fish are gone in 15 days

5. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

So it is used for quick filtration? So basically it is used to support a large bioload and when that bioload is gone it still manages to perform its function normally?

I found a place that sells 1000 bioballs for R 560. Its so interesting. So its not suited for a home reef setup but only a LFS that is constantly moving stock through the tanks?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what size?
    golf ball size?
    or the smaller Nickerball size? (Sweets size)

7. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

Regular size like the blue ones that the LFS's stock but they black.

8. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

LFS's have guys working there all day who can do water changes ;)

9. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

That is true. Maybe we should hire someone to do that instead of paying so much for filtration. Lol.

10. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

Of course in the 80's down south, bioballs were not available and if one could find them, they were VERY expensive. We found that a cheap alternative is to use hair curlers. They actually seem to work better than bioballs as they have a larger surface area per liter. My systems have evolved since then, but they were the bomb in the olden times....

11. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

We always have new stock arriving, leading to a constantly high bio load, so we found that the best longterm solution is lots of live rock (NOT BIO BALLS) and good protein skimmers as bare minimum.
    PLUS Our coral units get the full dosing regime as if it is an home aquarium.

They look so beautiful because we treat them so well;)

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It will work at home as well, but only in a FOWLR, not a reeftank with sensitive inverts. If the latter, you need some other means to export nutrients.

13. Express Reef

Express Reef

@ Tobes, :blush: I`m totally confused. I know someone (One of the sponsors) Who got a 2000 x 800 x 750 Reef tank with SPS, LPS and softies, with huge tangs with clams and sensitive inverts that runs a sump with bio balls and a refugim for 7years without problems, going now for 8y.:whistling:

Last edited: 22 Feb 2012
  14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Like I said, you can do it but need extra filtration or more frequent water changes or carbon dosing, etc to get rid of the nitrates as bio-balls do not convert nitrates.

15. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I have to admitt that this is the only "filtration" I have seen...guess one of the reasons I want to go "old-school"...all I see in LFS are TONS of LR and MONSTER Skimmers...coupled with full dosing regime(when needed)...

16. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

So bioballs and ceramic rings are a thing of the past. Natural filtration would be best for home and LFS's? So instead of using the above you use liverock. I see why it cant be used in a home aquarium on a long term basis. I heard that they are called nitrate factories. So rather just stick with the safe way of filtration in my reeftank.

Recent Posts