Holiday Preparations TL-550

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just started my tank. You can follow the progress here.

We really like going camping and just not being at home a lot. The first thing that comes to mind is that I need to keep my tank happy while I am not at home.

I have 2 concerns:
  1. Water level
  2. Feeding the fish (this is not a current concern as my tank is cycling)

The feeding can be done with a feeder if I leave the tank's lid open. Is there a feeder that fits on my tank while the lid is closed?

The second one will be an ATO. Which one will fit my tank? Does anybody have experience with this?

I don't have anyone to ask to check my tank while I am away. My only other pet (a dog) has an auto feeder and the water is on a float valve.

I am really not into DIY solutions unless it comes with clear instructions on the box...

Your advice will be appreciated.

(off the topic) I personally would never be on holiday if I knew my dog was on an autofeeder.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Bud I've been using a sera precision automatic feeder for morning feedings and I feed manually in the evenings. I have used this very same feeder on many occasions when I've taken the family in holiday. You can set it to feed from 1 to 7 times a day based on quantity of food and frequency. Paid about R500 New. Works great. Good luck

Hi Kevin, welcome to MASA and reefkeeping. Feeding and water levels are concerns that you are rightly attending too. I must however caution you that these will be the least of your worries should you not get yourself a chiller for your tank. I started off with a TL550 as my first tank, its a small system as you know 130 l including the built in filtration compartments . I had 20 years of experience with tropicals and thought I had most things covered, fish are fish after all.... Boy was I wrong. In my first summer, my tank which was situated in my lounge with no direct sunlight, experienced temperatures that rose to 32 degrees. I lost the majority of my fish and coral due to this before investing in a chiller. If this scenario happens in your tank while you are away, you are toast. There will not be a single living thing in that tank after a day.

This post is not meant to scare you but please believe me without a chiller you have the very real potential of experiencing a disaster. I would strongly recommend that you invest in a chiller regardless of whether you go away or not.

On a totally unrelated topic, how are you finding the performance of your skimmer? The standard skimmer is not the best imvho and there are a few posts by members on the Boyu forums giving advice and tips on how to improve matters. If you have not already gone thru the various posts, it would be well worth your while to do so. Good luck and enjoy your 550, it is an amazing little tank.

Oh soz man. Dident see your a new member.
Welcome to masa @KevinOpperman. Lets see some pics of your setup

An even bigger concern to the 2 issues you mentioned is power failures. A proper battery system is in my opinion just as vital as lights and good filtration.

Hi all!
Jip Jip.
Gona start to build 2 now for other reefers

Can you please pm me a quote?

Hi Kevin, welcome to MASA and reefkeeping...
... I would strongly recommend that you invest in a chiller regardless of whether you go away or not.
Thank you and I will keep it in mind.

On a totally unrelated topic, how are you finding the performance of your skimmer?...

...If you have not already gone thru the various posts, it would be well worth your while to do so. Good luck and enjoy your 550, it is an amazing little tank.
My tank is now only cycling, so I don't have any issues yet. I did read some threads, thanx for the info!

Oh soz man. Dident see your a new member.
Welcome to masa @KevinOpperman. Lets see some pics of your setup
Thank you! Pics will follow soon. I have some on this thread: http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/boyu-tl550-new-setup.67415/

An even bigger concern to the 2 issues you mentioned is power failures. A proper battery system is in my opinion just as vital as lights and good filtration.
Good point! Ups or inverter is on my shopping list.

Last edited:
In the week I was away, more than 10 liters evaporated. The top-up unit I have, doesn't fit, so the lid had to stay open. I am looking at another option with a smaller electronic top-up.

Thisis what i did in my lt550
ef560a3f3d0fff548980f8431fff81c7.jpg

Sent from my LG-H635 using Tapatalk

Thisis what i did in my lt550

I was thinking of doing something similar with the existing top-up. Thanx for the visual guide.
What do you use for a reservoir? I used a 5 liter bucket, but that was not even close to enough... I will use a 25 liter bucket for the next time.

Back
Top Bottom