Hole Sizes?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by glenvdm, 22 Oct 2009.

1. glenvdm

glenvdm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this thread.

I'm building a tank but have no idea about the sizes for drilling the holes for the drains and returns. I am right with drilling 1" Diameter holes for the drains and 3/4" Diameter holes for the retuns??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. keyaam

keyaam

I would go 40mm overflow and 25mm return

4. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

So i should drill bigger than i had originally thought? Whats more important the overflow holes or the returns?

5. keyaam

keyaam

The overflow holes are more important just incase something goes down the overflow. With 40mm it has a lesser chance of blocking the overflow

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Glen - it's not a case of what's more important. It's a case that your overflow, drains water by using gravity. Your return, has an electrical pump forcing water up, back into your display tank. If you make the return holes/pipe sizes to big, then you are going to struggle to get a decent sized pump that does not use up a huge amount of energy, to supply your display tank with the return water.

7. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

Thanks Jacque,

so is the 25mm correct then for the holes for the return and 40mm for the drains? Can one get bulkhead fittings for those sizes?

8. Andreas

Andreas

What return pump do you have Glen. I currently have 20mm pipe on my 3000l return pump and 32mm on my overflow.

9. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

I am still in the building stage of the tank, so haven't got a return pump yet, my total water volume including the sump is going to be 1600 litres. tank dimensions are 2000mm(L) X 800mm(W) X 600mm(H); the sump is going to be 1500mm(L) X 600mm(W) X 600mm(H).

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yes Glen. That would do 100% fine. I am not sure what bulkheads you have available where you are.

Try your local irrigation shops, hardware stores and plumbing outlets.

11. Andreas

Andreas

So a return pump of around 6000l would work fine. 25mm and 40mm should be fine.Try Astore they should have all the fitting you'll need;)

12. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

many thanks!! is there an in sump pump(submersible) that will have that kind of flow rating? I was looking at the Reef Octopus HY700W rated at 7000l/hr. but its not submersible is it?!

13. keyaam

keyaam

Laguna Pumps

14. Andreas

Andreas

You could look at the Ocean Runner 6500, Hailea 6550 or Sicce pumps. I'm not to sure about the Reef Octopus HY700W.

15. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

if I drill 25mm holes and 40mm holes, what size bulkheads do i get? The below information is what has been supplied to me by a friend of mine in the USA.

Glass Hole Saw Group Order - Post here if you want 'em
    If you want in on the Group Order for diamond tip hole saws, please post here.

Post how many of what size mm hole saw you want.

The total shipping will be split per $ of order. So if the shipping is $10 and person A orders $20 and person B orders $10 and person C orders $10” A would pay $5, B would pay $2.50 and C would pay $2.5.

The order will go in 10-12-07. You must pre-pay the saw amount before the order is placed. We will settle up on shipping when the order is picked up. You can pay with cash, money order or PayPal. If paying with PayPal, you must add the amount for their additional charges.

The price of the bits are listed on the link below.

The hole saws will be coming from here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Assorted-25-35mm...QQcmdZViewItem

Diamond Hole Saw size - 60mm = 1.5 inch Bulkhead
    Diamond Hole Saw size - 45mm = 1.0 inch Bulkhead
    Diamond Hole Saw size - 38mm = 0.75 inch Bulkhead
    Diamond Hole Saw size - 70mm = 2" Bulkhead
    Diamond Hole Saw size - 65mm = 1 1/2" Schedule 80 PVC Bulkhead
    Diamond Hole Saw size - 16mm = Kent Float Valve

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I go for a hole that can take 50 mm plumbing. Flow with gravity is just a lot more.
    So the hole should be 60mm, for a 50mm bulkhead fitting. And 50mm plumbing is more readily available than 40mm. I doubt if Builders Warehouse stock any 40mm plumbing.

Or do I have it wrong.

17. davidfr7

davidfr7

Glen buy your fittings first before you drill. Once you drill its done. If you got the fittings you will then have the right sizes

18. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan,

Do you know if one can get 25mm bulkheads for the 25mm holes(now drilled to 35mm??), assuming you go 10mm larger from the hole size for the bulkhead? I am having my tanks glass cut and drilled in New Zealand so will have to have all plans done before they cut, drilled and edged so they can ship complete. All i'm doing is assembling the tank here, with professional help of course.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

there is a shop just around the corner from Pet Stop, Cannot remember the name. They got plenty of fittings etc and you should get it there. In that road going over the railway and as you go over, they are on the right hand side, before "Opel" (I think)

Why buy your glass in New Zealand? is it cheaper or special glass?

20. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

yeah a lot cheaper and starphire glass, my cousin work for a glass factory where they do large scale glass, like building windows, staircases etc, I can get Starphire glass shipped here for cheaper than I can buy it here. thanks, i'll see if i can get to that shop you are on about this weekend!!

Recent Posts