Urgent help needed hole in pin cushion

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by brand, 24 Aug 2014.

1. brand

brand

Hi a friend of mine discovered two small holes on his pin cushion his salinity is 1.022 nitrate 0 and all other parameters are normal tank running for about 3 months and pin cushion is there for about a month any ideas on 5 he cause and how to treat it

IMG_5718.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

It could be a worm living in it. Seen a similar looking hole in a friends leather, which turned out to be a worm. Try prodding the hole and see if any tang moves

Last edited: 24 Aug 2014
  4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

also i would raise the salinity to 1025

5. Meg G

Meg G

Necrosis(black band disease)
    Tetracline 10mg per liter cure it.

6. weezle

weezle

I have seen this before on a pin cushion the size of a dinner plate kept getting worse .untill one day
    We decided to remove the affected area which at that stage was about a quarter of the pin.
    After cutting away the affected area we gave the coral a quick dip and then put strait back into the tank
    The pin made a full recovery, as for the piece we removed.......
    After a close examination I suspected some sort of worm or parasite the affected area was
    Sort of jelly like. I think if I never fragged off the bad part the entire pin would have been lost.

Also seen a similar thing happen to candy canes but that was a worm that burrows into the flesh and
    Eats it from the inside out, hopefully it is not one of those guys because they are a reel pest

I would suggest cutting the affected area off totally good luck man

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had one that got a hole from below. Kept on getting worse and worse. Ended up rotting away the whole center disk and stem. Fragged the outer rim into 7 or 8 pieces and got rid of the bad part. The frags survived.

Check from below, if there are any damage.

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

A salinity of 1.022 is extremely low. Your salinity should be in the region of S=35. Increase your salinity to S=35 then post the
    "rest of your parameters". However normal they may seem to you.

Bud, all parameters are important. the more specific information you can provide the better chance of a resolve.

9. brand

brand Thread Starter

Thanks guys I will get the rest of the parameters today and post it on later on, I also thought 1.022 was low although he was told by a local lfs it was fine

10. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

Are you using pellets in the tank. I wasn't using pellets in my 320 liter. only had a well established refuguim. . I added few fish and realised my refuguim wasn't handling the load so I added few pellets and in one month I found my pin cushion started to die from the centre.. so I removed the pellets and started to feed 1 more cube per day and noticed a fast recovery. .

another point of concern was that the pin cushion kept growing towards the centre of where the intellisun led was shinning the britest I then broke it off and put it in a fairly dim corner now it's looking good

Recent Posts