Holding down corals

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Paul B, 11 Oct 2011.

1. Paul B

Paul B

I don't know about most people but I have a problem with small corals staying put. Especially is you have a type of fish that like to re aquascape.
    Yes, you can glue everything in but that makes it hard to move things later if need be.
    I like to use lead. I know if fresh water they sell lead strips to wrap around plants to keep them anchored but with reef tanks we don't like using any metals so I cut thin strips of lead and cover them with shrink tubing.
    The shrink tubing can be gotten at any Radio Shack or even (I think) Home Depot. The lead I get from a plumbing supply or a scrap metal dealer. It is very cheap.
    You can make it as heavy as you like and wrap it around the base of the coral.
    You can even make longer strips and bend it around corals and larger rocks to secure them. The shrink tubing is black so you don't really see it.
    Now my larger fish have a hard time throwing my nicely positioned corals to the substrait.
    Have fun.
    Lead and shrink tubing
    [​IMG]
    Finished piece
    [​IMG]

RiaanP likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Pretty cool. Hope that its properly sealed though

4. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

Lead is a poison, not as toxic to fish as copper or zinc but it is midly disolvable and you should keep it out of your water, thats why I now use shrink tubing. You could also double up the shrink tubing if it scares you. After the corals grow into the rock or get too large for the fish to move, I can remove this weight.

I never had a problem and I have used a lot of lead. Usually this is a temporary measure until the coral either gets too big for the fish to move or it grows onto the rock.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  5. mytank

mytank

Is there any other solution my Urchin is a freeken monster find my hammers and Zoas conatantly unside down!

6. pXius

pXius

I counter my urchin with pratly putty

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

gel superglue is really good and is brittle enough to move a coral by twisting slightly. when you use it. put a blob under coral.push it against rock and move around in small circles so it attaches and then hold it in place for a few seconds to start setting. when you want to move it wriggle from side to side gently

8. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Lead is a serious no no in any fishtank. If you want the scientific explination Prof Dirk explained the whole thing on the FW sister site - Tropical Aquariums South Africa

9. Boegie

Boegie

Thanks for the tip but I will pass this one as I do not want any lead in my tank. Would rather just glue it and when I want to move the coral, just wangle it loose. Maybe someone can come up with an alternative.

10. Jeann1

Jeann1

:lol: Nice comment!

I use the original pratley, or the when i have the DD Aqua-scape stuff, its not that expensive, and has cool colours so it looks a bit more natural..

11. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Finished piece
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

I think what Paul is trying to demonstrate here is that when properly sealed, the lead cannot leak into your system. I would imagine the the ends would be melted down to create an air tight seal?
    Great tip I think...

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

think if it is sealed it is a stunning idea for certain softies till they attach.

13. chas84

chas84

Very nice idea, but I'd be too worried the seal leaks/deteriorates too fast. Most softies come on a rock already, I just use Pratley putty to mount the rock as it is. I used a rubber band to hold a Fiji yellow leather down until it attached. The coral attached exactly where I wanted it to, but the rubber band was left on for too long and the coral split in two... For smaller things like Zoa's and Star Polyps, I stick them to a small piece of rock, flat shell, etc. Then pratley that in place where I want it.

Does the superglue gel work "under water"? i mean if I want to stick some zoas onto a rock that I can't take out of the tank, does it also start setting the minute it touches the water (like normal superglue), or would I have a few seconds to get the frag onto the rock?

14. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

@chas84 - I've used the gel before, works great & yes, you have a few seconds to get it on the rock of choice...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. chas84

chas84

I'm going to try superglue gel for sure! Hehe I'm tired of sticking frags to my fingers :blush:

16. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

I have a couple of pairs of breeding fish and they will not let me add anything to the tank. They have to throw it to the substrait. My corals are glued to rocks but unless the rocks are huge, they still move them. Forget the urchin, he is worse and he carries small corals to the back where I can't find them.
    I have been using lead for decades and don't have a problem, And I never even used to cover it. Now I cover it with one or two layers of shrink tubing.
    My tank has been running for 40 years so if the lead didn't kill anything by now, I don't worry about it but I know many people have a fear of metals, rightly so, so it is better to cover it or not use it if it bothers you.

17. mytank

mytank

Do you have to take the LR out the water? Or does this bind under water?

18. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

@gMAN ..Could I get a Name of a good gel...don't want to buy wrong and/or toxic gel..

19. mandarinman

mandarinman

superglue is non toxic. it was first used to glue wounds shut in battle situations

20. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Thanks..:thumbup:..Learn something new everyday..:blush:

21. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

@belindamotion
    I use Bostik....:thumbup:
    And yes, they are used to seal wounds shut. My 4yr old son hand an accident some months back, took him to the ER, instead of stitches guess what they used...... super glue! well not the hardware range of course.....;)

Recent Posts