hob skimmer

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Rids, 8 Apr 2014.

1. Rids

Rids

hi guys

id like to know which makes of hob skimmers are available on the market and where to possibly get them from

the only one i came across so far is reef octopus hob
    please let me know about others
    \

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dian6430

Dian6430

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

bubble magus.....
    we sell loads of the hob.......well priced do the trick nicely.....
    reef octopus is cool too and the jns is nice aswell

5. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

We do indeed, two options rated at 850L where most other HOBS are rated around the 500L mark:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

wow....850 litres!!!
    is that proven or "claimed" not trying to sound iffy, but 850 litres is a lot of water to skim!
    my 5 ft aquarium is 750 litres and the skimmer that runs that is way more ove-rated....more than double the requirement rating......and it kinda just does the job..........and that's a top of the line tunze skimmer.

id say realistically the first skimmer may do 600 litres not sure about the second cause i dont have air intake and water flow ratios vs chamber sizes etc..........
    but that 850 litres sounds hectic

if it does handle a stocked 850 litres system....then thats really good going.:thumbup:

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Are the skimmers you sell proven or claimed?

8. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

PROVEN!;)...i dont buy a skimmer cause what it says on the box....i want to know actual flow rates, air draw , etc etc...then i make decisions befor i buy a skimmer for myself or to resell.

aswell as we never sell products we dont 100% believe in and have had first hand experiance or know someone who has had with them

hense my own skimmer is rated more than double of what my tank is!

alot of top skimmer manufacturers have been caught out with ratings....most recently a very well reputable brand was told to re-look at there 3000 litre rating skimmer
    as at best it would really be rated at 2200 litres....so food for thought

been around way to long to be told a skimmer that size can run a ton of water....
    that cup would need to be changed 3 times a day

hense my question......thats alot of water to skim with that smallish skimmer

alot of differant brands make alot of claims..........

just rectifying a comment made about ....it being much better than the rest

@ Rids....sorry for your thread going south here....but just giving you options to look at.....
    i see you in lenasia.......there are plenty lfs around there that can probably show or put you onto someone who has a hob skimmer running...
    then you can make a decision......but ask the person who using it how they feel and is it coping
    what size aquarium do you have?....if i know litres i can suggest a few differant brands to research,
    possibly give you some numbers of shops up there that stock certain skimmers
    oh another good one to look at is aquamedic.........
    i dont normally sell em but a client really wanted that brand and he had researched it prior....i arranged it for him a few months back and he is over the moon with it.

cool

Last edited: 9 Apr 2014
  9. Andre@ReefAquatics

@Rids , sorry to kinda hijack, but some questions are asked that I have to address, you too will learn some valuable facts here I'm sure. @TheWaterboy has given you some good tips above.

Hi Marco, yes indeed a good question, opens up the discussion of various manufactures and their skimmer ratings, IMPO a very dark area. I'm aware that various manufactures use a different set or test procedures to come to their rating they stamp on a product, hence why we all try to work on a rule of thumb to get a skimmer capacity rated about double your tank capacity.

So for this one I would recommended this be used on a 500L system. Just as I would rate any other skimmer I sell to my clients, I usually recommend they double up if they can afford it.

As we all know at Reef Aquatics we don't just bring in products but I test them thoroughly before it gets my stamp of approval.

So to justify the above here is some facts:

This RCD850L replaced the BH2000 HOB skimmer on our fully stock fish system in our store - The before and after performance blew us away. The skim mate was about 4 times more :)

THE OLD - BH2000 running on a fully fish stock tank in our store:

[​IMG]

The new RDC850-HOB:

[​IMG]

4 DAYS LATER:

[​IMG]

SAY NO MORE:

[​IMG]

SOME MORE CHALLENGES for this little guy :

[​IMG]

@459b , if you can give me the guidelines on how you would "PROVE" a skimmer works on x literage tank then I'm happy to oblige you with some results.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i can put a tiny ts1 skimmer on a 1000 litre fully stocked tank....and it will skim like that.....that does not prove its handling the system....its just means there is alot of crap in the water.
    with that said...those skimmers look good
    but no need to prove to me man....the thread was about options.....

Last edited: 9 Apr 2014
  11. Andre@ReefAquatics

too right Marco, the point to note here is the is amount of gunk pulled from the system when compared to the BH2000.

Hence my question with a question? give me the guidelines how to "prove" as skimmer handles a system and I will oblige :)

12. Rids

Rids Thread Starter

ok
    could someone tell me where to get one in johannesburg for about a 200 litre tank

13. DeanT

DeanT Dean

I have a second hand bh2000 if you interested
    Don't mind posting it from cpt

14. Gary Bourn

Gary Bourn

wow !!!

15. SableAquarium

SableAquarium

Real Inc Sk114 Skimmer

Anyone have info on the Sk114 600ltr Skimmer from Realinc.co.za? I have a 300ltr tank and would like to know if one of these would do the job. Would like to run a reef tank eventually.

Thx

16. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I did I quick Google search but couldn't find any info on that brand. my guess is that is a foreign brand which has been rebranded to suit the local supplier. perhaps you should give them a call and get note info.. important things to ask are .. what brand is the pump... does the pump use a pinwheel or regular impelar.. how much air does the pump draw.. and how many liters per hour (water)is the pump rated for.

17. SableAquarium

SableAquarium

Hi Hot Sauce

Think you are right, identical skimmer Sobo Skimmer Sk114 made in India, must just be rebranded. Still no technical data or reviews. Anyone know the Sobo?

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

Sobo.... no idea. what does Goodle say. one thing I will say is that 600.00 rand for a 600l rated skimmer is the bargain of the century .

19. Irma

Irma

I have a Deltec MCE600 on my 330L tank and it is doing great. What I like about this HOB skimmer is that there is a side media compartment that I can put purigen and phosguard in. Great skimmer!

Recent Posts