Urgent help needed High Phosphates!!!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by TheresaC, 17 Feb 2014.

1. TheresaC

TheresaC

Hi Guys & Girls

So I finally got my nitrates to 0 after a very long time. I have noticed that my zoas aren't doing very well and my phosphates sky rocketed. I just took the reading and it's at 1.00. Very bad for my corals. Should i do 10% water changes daily and add red sea no3po4 (nopox). My water volume is 250 litres. How much nopox do i add for high phosphates? I will also reduce feeding of frozen food...

Im running a carbon reactor as well and use titanium bio cubes. No dsb. The bio cubes realy helped with my nitrate problem.

Is it critical? What should i change?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Add phosphate remover

Zoas prefer dirtier water. Bring your nitrates up a bit and the zoas should do better.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Adding NoPoX wont help. It is a carbon source so serves the same purpose as BioCubes (ecxept biocubes work alot better)

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

ORCA Ti Cubes... Yes, they work wonders for NO3, but if you had employed a mix of regular cubes and Ti, or just regular biocubes, you would have had slower NO3 reduction, but your PO4 would have come down proportionately.

Not adviseable to mix carbon dosing methodologies, i.e. biocubes and NOPOX.
    Rather just add a GFH / GFO, such as ORCA Phosphaguard, ATI Phosphate Stop, ROWAPHOS, Two little fishies Phosban, etc.
    Remove the carbon currently in your reactor and very lightly fluidize the GFH / GFO media. For your system volume, a cup will do.... Again, slow flow rate through the media.

Due to running ORCA Titanium Biocubes, the Nitrate removal capacity of the cubes will not be influenced at al by your removal of PO4 via abovementioned media ;).

Not much else to change, depending on your current feeding habits. PO4 of 1 is really off the chart, but then again I don't trust any hobby grade test kit......

6. JohanB

JohanB

Yes dont add NoPox, it can only reduce phosphates if there are Nitrates available (and should NOT be overdosed).
    Just add a phosphate remover to your carbon reactor if there is enough space. It should bring it down quite quickly, but 1.00 is a lot so you might have to replace again after a while when it is depleted.

Titanium bio cubes removes the phosphates without removing the nitrates, so if you buy again get some normal bio cubes as well and it will consume some of you phosphates too.

7. irie ivan

Other way around. NO3 removal, independent of PO4 levels, i.e. skewing the "redfield ratio:

8. JohanB

JohanB

O yes sorry typo

9. irie ivan

Or, add amino acids. Pumps off, syringe, slow release just above them.
    Options are limited to increase NO3, although there are some freshwater planted tank goodies that will assist, but it becomes a fine balancing act with adding and keeping just the right amount of cubes to keep it there.....

Increased feeding will also add more PO4, again.... a balancing act....... But that's what we do anyway........

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

another good PO4 remover if you have a good skimmer is Lanthanum Chloride , use Pure Reef Phosphate remover

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

Have you tried nopox? If you have some left over I will gladly take it!

Last edited: 17 Feb 2014
  12. TheresaC

TheresaC Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice peeps! I used nopox a while back when my nitrates were high. Haven't used it lately. With the advice from everybody so far I think I should take my reactor and run a good quality phosphate media like seachem's phosphate media. I will remove my carbon media for the time being untill the phospates are down to what they should be.

What do you guys think about the plan? I have normal and titanium bio cubes running at the moment.

13. dallasg

yes seachem phosgaurd works great...
    no need to remove carbon

14. dallasg

how many liters is the tank?
    you dont want to remove the PO4 to quick as that will also play havoc on corals, remember they are some what acclimated to that high level

15. TheresaC

TheresaC Thread Starter

Thanks @dallas. Will do.

16. TheresaC

TheresaC Thread Starter

I bought Seachem Phosguard and took out the carbon from my reactor, cleaned the reactor and started running the phosguard yesterday. I also did a 25 litre water change this morning. How often should I do a water change? My system is about 300litre in total.
    Some of my Zoas are closed and some open. Is this ok? Everything else seems very healthy and happy.

How long will it take before the phospates go down?

17. TheresaC

TheresaC Thread Starter

Look at the zoas. Will they be ok or is there anything else i can do?

image.jpg

18. irie ivan

Frequency of water changes are teally a matter of opinion. 10% per week, 20% per month, 25% per month.... All fine, whichever you are comfortble with.
    Some will advocate none at all... But really only for the more experienced reefers.
    In terms of time period for po4 to come down, dependent on actual presence, flow rate, quantity of media... It shouldnt take too long, couple of days.
    You might have to replace the phosguard with some fresh media if it bottoms out at a certain number... Media exausted :(
    Really difficult to say if everything is ok by looking at a pic of zoas.
    How long have you had them?
    Perhaps a case of them still acclimatising, adjusting, closing as a self defense against predation/photoshock, some other param out of whack... The list is endless...
    Perhaps just beat to watch them over time... or run a battery of tests on the water.
    They relatively resilient though...
    Feeding might help, seachem reef plus, just dont overdo it... Amino acids break down to nitrates.

19. TheresaC

TheresaC Thread Starter

I use red sea reef energy a&b. Once a week.

Ive had the zoas about 5 months now. They were doing great untill a few days ago. I will watch them cloely to see what happens. Will the high phosphate level have an impact on them?

Thank you for the help Irie.

Recent Posts