High phosphate: Anyone use Orca Labs Phospha-Guard Biocubes?

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I recently started my first marine aquarium. I've had it cycling for about 2 months now with live rock and Matrix dosing regularly with Aquaforest Bio-S and Seachem Stability, and introduced 2 hermit crabs about 3 weeks ago. I've been testing my parameters regularly, and all seems stable aside from a high phosphate. There is no sign of any pest algae. I went to get two clown fish yesterday at my LFS, and the owner recommended I use Orca Labs Phospha-guard Biocubes (instead of Seachem PhosphaGuard) to lower phosphate. I thought I might try some macroalgae, but he thought it would only die in my tank. I only really read the instructions today, and see Orca says you must use two other products in conjunction.

So, is it mandatory I do it according to the instructions? Any other phosphate lowering advice to impart? I'm thinking about trying to vodka method soon.

Last edited:
Phospha guard will work well if you only targeting phosphates.
But there are cheaper options out there. One that comes to mind is ATI phosphate stop. It's much cheaper than the biocubes but you need a reactor for it to work properly. Ones saturated you can just regenerate it and reuse it.
Also agent green is another option. It's a liqued you dose that binds phos.
So there's many ways.
Vodka dosing will mainly target nitrates. Won't do much to phos

Phospha guard will work well if you only targeting phosphates.
But there are cheaper options out there. One that comes to mind is ATI phosphate stop. It's much cheaper than the biocubes but you need a reactor for it to work properly. Ones saturated you can just regenerate it and reuse it.
Also agent green is another option. It's a liqued you dose that binds phos.
So there's many ways.
Vodka dosing will mainly target nitrates. Won't do much to phos
Hi Dexter. Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, already bought the Biocubes, but will look out for those other products for in future.

Hi Manny

your tank is still in its infancy and you are on the 3rd or 4th product used for nutrient control. I would recommend you choose one and give it time to work

As for the ocra cubes, its not necessary to use other orca products but i would recommend you go read up on redfield ratio and how it pertains to po4 and no3

Last edited:
Thanks butcherman. Phosphate was 1.2mg/L. Nitrates- was the lowest reading on the JBL test I used (can't recall the exact range of that tier). I just used the Bio S and Stability during the first 5 weeks of cycling. The way the LFS owner explained, I'd just need to drop in the cubes and wait. I assumed it was some sort of binder...and know that it was also to add to the tank's beneficial microbiome. I still don't get how that would significantly help beyond what's already grown on the live rock and Matrix media, but, like you said...will just wait it out and give it time to work.

bio cubes is fuel source for bacteria and take 14 days for the bacterial to populate and start working.

bio S is a nitfifying bacteria supplement. its important to know what it is that you are adding to the tank .

For now add an air stone to the tank to aerate the tank and prevent a ph drop

Back
Top Bottom