HIGH nitrates

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I checked my nitrates a week ago and had a small reading, but it was higher than normal. Measured it tonight after a water change and its HIGH. I asked around about vodka and gave it a short try for 2 weeks and had some cyano starting to grow and stopped the vodka. A bit of cyano kept on growing in my dsb and I thought I will wait for it to go away by itself. Well it did not and a few days ago I noticed very few goggas in my dsb. Can the cyano be the problem or do I have another problem?
I just put a small pump in tha dsb to increase water flow to get rid of the cyano-what else must I do?
View attachment 68231
I knew I must stay away from the vodka.

Reaction score
Herkie, have you got any trickle filters on your system ?

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
how high?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Herkie - ok - to answer the first qustion:
- the pump could be the cause that the pods/worms either hiding away, or killed by being sucked in
- I do not think that the cyano would be direct cause of the pods/worms/micro critters dying/dissappearing

Look - vodka aside - personally, I think that the bacteria bloom that vodka causes, could have died off, therefore the high nitrates issue.

Do you have a DSB? how big is it and how much square foot/metres of surface area do you have? I think that if any reefer could have a DSB, it is extremely important in the filtration as well as supplying the tank/corals/fish with food, as well as ridding the tank of detritus....

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
I agree with ocean here, how high is high and what test kit are you using?

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long. I use a Red sea test kit and did a second test to make sure and its slightly better than what I thought. Ther reading is 10 ppm and it used to be 0 for ages.
Jeaques: The pump was put into the dsb 1 hour ago.
My tank is a standard 4ft tank and the dsb is roughly half of a standard 3ft tank.
The detritus is removed at water changes and it never is a lot.9Its a BB tank and detritus can be seen well.)
Dragonreef: I have a fluidised filter with carbon in the first stage and po4 remover in the second stage. The filter was a bit neglected and thge carbon was changed 2 days ago after being in the filter for 6-7 weeks.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Okay give a chance to settle your DSB and if you have a refugium should take care of nitrates and yes, please stay off the Vodka for now.

Reaction score
And I used up all the water I went to fetch today- all 650lt, hope you still have some left, ohh and check your phone, I tried to call back, maar jy is mos doof

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Please help, I think I have some friends too strong on rum-maybe thats what went wrong with the vodka.

Reaction score
Please help, I think I have some friends too strong on rum-maybe thats what went wrong with the vodka.
LoL.. maybe you must try to handle the Captain, then your hand will not be sooooo heavy on the Vodka.

Remove your Filter Floss, it is supposed to be white, not Black

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Remove your Filter Floss, it is supposed to be white, not Black
Big problem right here, if filter floss is not replaced every 48hrs it does stand a chance of going biological and produce nitrates.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Mekaeel - I think that is what I too experienced in my tank. Once I started dosing vodka - I had an outbreak of cyano - and about a few days after stopping dosing vodka, the cyano in my tank dissappeared.

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Hi Mekaeel - I think that is what I too experienced in my tank. Once I started dosing vodka - I had an outbreak of cyano - and about a few days after stopping dosing vodka, the cyano in my tank dissappeared.
another sign of overdosing is a brown algea film that appears on you glass and substrate.dont stop dosing all together but reduce the dosage to half until the film disappears