High N02 levels

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Travis1, 23 Jan 2012.

1. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

hi all. noticed some green hair algae growing on my rock over the weekend. checked my params and N02 is sitting @ 0.1 ppm. P04 is 0. N03 is 0. did a 50l water change and levels stayed the same? advice needed please?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

IU take it youre talking about nitrites and not nitrates. Nitrites dont cause GHA directly but rather phosphates coupled with nitrates, the end of the nitrogen cycle does. My suggestion is to add bacteria like prodibio or stability with vodka to outcompete the nutrients which the GHA uses. The reasons are numerous as to why you have GHA from using tap water for top ups and make up water continuously, to over feeding, source water already high in nitrates and phosphates, rocks leaching phosphates back into water etc,etc.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the thing about nitrite is it doesnt go away with a waterchange, the system merley stays in a limbo state untill the correct amount of bacteria are reached to consume it and keep it under controll, i would suggest using a product such as stability to bring the level down to zero and allowing the system to run a little longer before the enxt waterchange.

have you lost any inhabitants?
    how old is the system?
    what is your feeding routine like? frozen foods, straining excess juicess off?
    is the skimmer performing properly? is it the correct size in relation to the load?

oh and not to forget the water itself.. is it of the correct values before being added?
    alot to ponder

Last edited: 23 Jan 2012
  5. Travis1

Travis1 Thread Starter (wilsontravy)

thanks for the info

have not lost any inhabitants.
    system is around 3 months old now.
    i feed my LS once a day, sometimes twice, only have a royal grammer and 2 clowns. frozen food once every week or so, dont strain juices off. skimmer im using is the aquaria, rated for 600l. tank volume is around 230. i have noticed that there is quite a bit of food on top of dsb? dnt feed too much, feed like a pinch of food. skimmer well, its working, but am not extremely happy with it. would rather go for an external skimmer. all my parameters are all on par accept the N02 now. i have noticed that there is also alot of detruis on the dt sand bed, coz when i siphon it out tank seems to have a lot of floating particles in.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

from the sounds of it it would appear you may need to alter your flow to get the settlement into suspension,of a few hermits to assist in breaking down any uneaten food and stir up the sand bed...

as for the DSB you may need to add a pump for flow ? or perhaps a filter sock to catch any uneaten foods and clean out more fruequently..

these are just assumptions, based on what you have told us :)

7. Travis1

i currently only have the return flow in tank wich is 3800lph less head height, and 1 3000lph power head. i do have a few hermits in the tank already, as well as an ats, and chaeto.

8. Travis1

can i take the GHA off the rock? or must i leave it to go away by itself?

9. Tony

Tony

TRavis you have a nutrient problem if it is GHA. A better pic will help. More than often the problem only gets worse with time. You need to find the source of your problem.

Issues that cause GHA

Using tap water continuously for top ups and make up water.
    Source water already high in phosphates. A RO unit wont remove all phosphates and if your water is already high in phosphates then that could be your problem.
    Excessive feeding especially with frozen food and seaweed.
    Rocks will take up phosphates eitehr in nature or in the LFS and they are leaching them back into the system.

Like I mentioned there are more reasons for phosphates but these mentioned are common culprits

The easiest solutions are as follows.

Adding a phosphate sponge like rowaphos, phosban and orca
    Adding a nitrate sponge like purigen.
    Bacteria addition coupled with vodka dosage.

There are more ways but these are the easiest and cheapest and have always worked for me

10. Travis1

thanks for the help tony will pop in at lfs later and see what i can get.

Recent Posts