Urgent help needed High kh...

If you don't have a chance to reread what was condensed in that old thread....
DON'T use muriatic/pool/Hydrochloric acid if you don't have the safety margin of dilution afforded to you by a sump!
Also note ALL the safety concerns.

See the other tips FIRST!

ESPECIALLY, Where I describe tried and tested NON_ADDITIVE SOLUTIONS...
RO -TOPUPS (UNBUFFERED),
and
WATERCHANGES

David:
YES, alkalinity will drop...straight out of solution, but NOT as a countermeasure.
Precipitation, knows no limits...you WILL disastrously , and unpredictably lose Alkalinity, Calcium , Magnesium and Strontium. Besides, "overdosing" to correct another parameter is far too imprecise and unsafe.

Then ask yourself, how you repair the massive decline of Ca, Mg, Sr, Alk???
With more than a few waterchanges of the CORRECT parameters, within a short period.
NOTE! Volume of water to be changed is much more than 100% , to avoid the chain reaction, that is induced precipitation.

Last edited:
DON'T use muriatic/pool/Hydrochloric acid if you don't have the safety margin of dilution afforded to you by a sump! Also note ALL the safety concerns.
Will a 2ml or 1ml acid in 5l water work over a 1 or 2hr drip..?

NOTE! Volume of water to be changed is much more than 100% , to avoid the chain reaction, that is induced precipitation.
i have 315 l tank so can be 400l before kh is in place again?

kh problem solved

After water change of 60l yesterday, tank readings this morning and a lot of headache...since yesterday morning my tank seems to do well today and back on track without any additives...I think the fact that the ca was so high saved my tank with this stupid deed I did...
I did a test myself this morning and then took the same sample to Exotics and there we did a few tests with different test kits...Here are the results.
kh 16...
ph=8.1...
ca=474...
mg=1450...
Salinity=.024...
Water temp 24...

The kh will still come down over the next week but the reading today is not a concern any more, I’m starting to drip kalk as from tonight to help keep the ph; mg and ca reading in place
Thank you to all for the input and advice...and to Steven @ Exotics...

Kalk will push up your alkalinity and calcium.
You dont need to do this.

Leave the tank be until alk drops to 10-12 DKH and calcium to 400ppm, then you can start dripping kalk again

Back
Top Bottom