High Alkalinity

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by shane, 13 Nov 2009.

1. shane

shane

hI,
    I was testing my alk today and found that it is sitting on the high side (12.8 DKH)
    tested with a new Salifert test kitand calcium level is at 450 ,tested this with Elos test kit. Is this reading ok for a fish only tank and how would I go about lowering it slightly?
    Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. IMarine

IMarine

hi bra i keep my full on reef on 12kh nothing wrong i will say perfect,infact i had a 1 on 1 with Julian sprung about high kh and his words to me as i new its perfect so no worries,look at in this way you ph will always be perfect and your cal perfect ,do not lower it leave it as is

4. Adee

Adee

12 is high if u trying hard to keep it there (manual dosing regime?), if however your system itself is normalising at that level without much intervention your side....then don't stress.

The key though is keep it everything STABLE, if u have high/low variations...livestock are not too fond of that.

5. shane

shane Thread Starter

Morning Adee,
    I am not trying to keep it there, that is where it seems to have stabilised.I did do a 400 litre water change last week Friday and did not test the NSW. Dont know if that was high.
    Cheers

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

400 litrs is alot to change! how many percent of your total water volume is 400ltrs?

7. Adee

Adee

I have spikes after a water change, but I try (when I remember) to match the water intended for the WC, to be as close to that of what is in the DT.

As u have a fish only tank, I would worry more around nitrate and PH readings.

8. shane

shane Thread Starter

Hi,
    Tank is 1200 litres plus about 300 litres for the sump.
    that is about 28 % change.
    I am battling with some GHA
    Cheers

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Using Ushaka NSW or salt mix?

10. shane

shane Thread Starter

Hi,
    I think I have a nitrate problem as I am battling with some GHA.
    Hence the large water change.
    cheers

11. Adee

Adee

GHA along with Cyno is the bain of everyone in this hobby.

What are your nitrate and phos readings?

How long have u had your system?

12. shane

shane Thread Starter

No I go to Ansteys beach and collect close to the tidal pool at low in coming tide.
    cheers

13. shane

shane Thread Starter

Hi Adee,
    I dont really know how long the tank has been running for because when I bought my house in August last year,the previous owner left it as is. I have since changed the sump as he had a **** designed thing.I cant give you an answer about the nitrate and phosphate as my test kits are old and I suspect that I am getting a wrong reading.

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Been there but not for water - but heard something interesting from the guys down at Ballito's tidal pool recently - I seen some nice specimens "in" the pool but no body catching them they were looking "outside" and "around" in the rock pools - When questioned them (thought they were stupid) I got this reasoning : If I had a test kit with me I would find the water pams totally out of whack from the water just outside the pool coz the water in the pool was more stagnant than the water outside - made sense - some of the specimens had gone so accustomed to the inside of the pools parm they would suffer a great shock if introduced to water from outside their little world - Being in Durbs would it not be better to get from Ushaka water?

15. shane

shane Thread Starter

Hi Chika,
    I have also heard that some of the tidal pools get dosed with chlorine to control the water. I collect from next to the tidal pool, fresh incoming sea water. Chika what do them charge you for your licence for ushaka?
    Cheers

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

R500 per year and you can collect anytime between Mon to Fri 5pm till 8pm as often as you like! Very very very clean water - spoke to one chap and said their water actually gets pumped from quite deep in so very unlikely for pollutants and baddies - their water is crystal clear

17. shane

shane Thread Starter

When last have you re done your licece as I heard that it was now R750 per year.
    Anyway see you tomorrow going home.

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

Mine expires next month - Oh well as with everything here - increase increase increase - but look into it well worth it - plus filling is so easy - no carrying containers - you can fill them in your vehicle and as easy as taking candy from a baby - catch you laters

19. danimal

danimal

chiks how do you go about getting this license? its such a hack getting from the sea!

20. shane

shane Thread Starter

Hey Danimal,
    Where about are you collecting water from in Durban?
    I will agree that collecting NSW is a problem, I dont mind filling the drums up but carring them arcoss the beach sand to my van, well that is another story.
    Cheers

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there guys - if you go to the rear parking lot of Ushaka where the BazBus drops of people then on the left hand side you will find ORI offices - just ask them inside or just phone 0313288222 - that will get you sorted :thumbup:

Recent Posts