Hi

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Caleb, 15 Mar 2009.

1. Caleb

Caleb

Hi All. I just wanted to pop in to say hi. I have been reading a few posts and, at the risk of sounding like a kiss ass, I am really impressed with the helpfulness and friendly tone assistance is provided. I am totally new to the Hobby. I wanted to do some research before jumping into a marine tank, and by the sounds of things this was the right choice. This hobby sounds far more complicated than I had envisaged, but I think it will be more rewarding for this reason as well. I will be trying to do as much DIY as possible, for budget reasons, and look forward to learning from previous posts. See you guys in the threads...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Caleb! You sure started off at the right place. Even if I have to say so myself! Congrats for finding us! Great to have you on-board! Welcome to MASA man!

OK - please have a look around the other "New Members" threads, as well as our "Members tanks and Setups".

It is VERY important to know EXACTLY what you want to achieve. And then ask the questions on HOW to achieve your goal.... the SETTING of the goal is the MOST important thing, NEXT to PATIENCE!

You NEED to have an EXTREME amount of PATIENCE in this hobby, because EVERYTHING is about "hurry up and wait" ;)

NOTHING good happens quickly in marines - only bad things....

Please read as much as you can about keeping marines.....

Also - BEFORE YOU purchase anything at your local pet store (local fish store or LFS), PLEASE come and check with us here on MASA. We have NO financial gain by making any suggestions to you! We ONLY want you to become the ABSOLUTE BEST reefkeeper that you can be!

Matt likes this.
  4. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa

5. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Hey welcome pal i'm kinda new here to

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

masahello

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Hello Caleb

Not complicated but it is a hobby that requires a certain amount of dedication.

The better the husbandry the healthier and better looking the live stock

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Caleb, hope you enjoy your stay with us. Please read and learn as much as you can and don't be shy to ask if you don't know. We are here to help!
    Happy learning :wave2:

10. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA Caleb. Make yourself at home:peroni:

11. crispin

crispin

hello caleb, great to have you here:) welcome to masa.

12. seank

seank

:welcometomasa2:

13. Caleb

Caleb Thread Starter

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! The more I read the more hooked I become... This is truly a great hobby, I can't wait to get started (after extensive research first of coarse...)!

As for my goals, I have so far decided that I want to go full out reef tank. Can you guys tell me if it is possible to house the following together: 2 Clowns, 1 yellow tailed surgeon, 1 yellow tang, 1 butterfly, some wrasse, few cleaner shrimp, 2 hermit crabs and a boxing shrimp...as a start. Also will a 800X500X500 tank be sufficient to house all these magnifisant creatures?

I am totally new to this hobby, so please don't get frustrated with me if I change my mind and repeat questions, I am very eager to learn before buying (by the looks of things this is an expensive hobby and I want to do everything right the first time...)

14. crispin

crispin

hmm a full out reef:) sounds nice put like that, although even that will have you gasping at the diversity that can be created. no two reefs are the same and we all change them all the time, we wont get frustrated unless you blatantly ignore good advice. that irratates MASA no end cause ultimatley you would be doing harm to LS, other than that we happy for you to go on many paths, we just walk along beside you:)

learning before buying is a great idea, but sooner or later you gonna have to get your fingers wet.....have you gotten a tank yet? are you looking at buying one, making one? whatr sort of harware are you looking at running? lets start there and then we can see what LS you would be able to look at :)

15. Tridan

Tridan

Welcome to MASA, your tank size sounds pretty cool, a bit small for tangs tho, beware of most butterfly's in a reef system as they are polyp munchers, but as crispin say's lets get your tank sorted and look at life stock afterwards.

Good luck with your journey.

16. Caleb

Caleb Thread Starter

Definitely want to get my fingers wet very soon! I am seriously contemplating building my own tank, sump, lighting hoods and, if possible, skimmer. I will be asking advice on doing so in the appropriate forums.
    I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction as to the question of hardware. I went to a pet store today and asked for a quote on everything I would need to run a reef tank with my dimensions (800x500x500), they came up with an amount of R17000, without the tank or sump. Surely this cant be correct?

I really enjoy building things myself and if anyone could give me advice in this regard (i.e. what I could build myself and what I should rather purchase).

I just want to say that I am very grateful for any info and help and your advice will not be ignored.

17. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Caleb if you have never built a tank it may be a good idea to get somebody like Bob & Adrian to build it. You don't want 200l of water in your house.

18. crispin

crispin

sorry shaun but i HAVE to dissagree with you there. Caleb you definatley want 200l of salt water in your house....you just want it properly contained. :p

but caleb there are far better options than the quote you have just been given! Building ones own tank is a great way to learn as the planning required will really focus your mind on the way things work (especially the sump) and MASA will help you all the way.

personally I would go with Shaun on suggesting a professional tank and Adriaan from Idol Marines (sponsor) certainly has an awesum reputation, although a number of sponsors can build one for you.

But have you looked at a second hand tank. They come up fairly often and the resale value on second hand equipment is far lower that the new price so you can pick up some really good tanks and stands, sump etc far cheaper this way, and you know they dont leak.

the sizes you mention are slightly small for a full out reef. especially as I think you will want tangs (other than the yellow) later on. I would build a bigger tank (1.8m or so) to start and that way you have options open to you. if you dont mind a small tank knowing there are certain things you cant have, then the sizes you are thinking are good (if not a little narrow, you might battle a little with aquascaping). why not look at 800 cube?

19. Caleb

Caleb Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys.

1.8 is a bit big, I can prob get away with 1200X600x500. Waiting for the qoute for glass. I have always been a keen DIYer, I will take the building real slow and make sure I do it right. Apart from saving money there is the satisfaction factor of building something beautiful from scratch with your own hands...

Assuming this is the size tank I am going for, what will I need in terms of sump and filter media?

This is my idea (from the last two weeks of research and looking at pictures of members setups) of how a system works:
    1. Water flows into overflow, out the bottom hole (gravity) and into the skimmer.
    2. Skimmer er, 'skims' the water, foam accumulates in the top and 'skimmed' water flows out skimmer into chamber 1 of sump.
    3. Then overflows into chamber 2 with DSB, with some suspended bio rock.
    4. Then overflows into chamber 3 which has other filter media(consisting of ......?).
    5. This then flows into chamber 4 which is a merely an empty chamber with a return pump pumping the water back into the tank.

How far off am I?

20. crispin

crispin

actually you have that description pretty well spot on:) there are other things which you need to plan when looking under a tank, things like space for a chiller, or reactors or a RO resivoire etc. but for the most part you ahve it spot on :)

I full agree with what you say with the personal satusfaction of making something beautiful from scratch, just know that it wont necesarilly be the cheapest way to get the end result.

But if you choose to build your own tank you will have lots of help from us on MASA:)

21. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

Recent Posts