Hi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new to keeping Marine Fish, I have for the past 20 years kept fresh water fish, I currently have set up a Marine Tank,128 litres, one of those Boyu Tanks, I cannot seem to get my Salinity levels correct, When I last checked using a Hydrometer it measures 1.040, which is too high, How can I fix it.

Reaction score
Hydrometer is not the best tool to measure salinity. Try and get your water tested from a shop or a fellow reefer that has a refractometer. But its easy to fix. Just take out some of your tank water and topup with normal ro water.

Reaction score
This may sound stupid, but assuming you mean cant 'keep' your salinity correct, do you replenish the evaporated water with RO or saltwater?

(BTW don't hijack someone else's thread)

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new to keeping Marine Fish, I have for the past 20 years kept fresh water fish, I currently have set up a Marine Tank,128 litres, one of those Boyu Tanks, I cannot seem to get my Salinity levels correct, When I last checked using a Hydrometer it measures 1.040, which is too high, How can I fix it.
Do you have any livestock in the tank? Or is it still cycling?
Did you mix the saltwater yourself or bought premix water?
When water evaporated in the tank, with what water did you do topups?

RiaanP

Reaction score
Hello and welcome @Dino.

Yip, Refracto is one of the essential items to have.