Hi !

Discussion in 'New Members' started by STOCK, 17 Apr 2015.

1. STOCK

STOCK

Hi
    This is my first post here.
    I don't have an aquarium yet but I expect my kids gold fish bowl will need expanding at some point.
    For now I am building a live bait tank for mullet and need advice. I practice fresh water and rock & surf fishing - mainly for in edible species (shark rays etc). Virtually all my fish are tagged and released.
    I understand some members may not be PC to be asking about live bait on an aquarium forum but hopefully others will provide the info I need.
    Cheers !

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA
    Exactly how many mullet (and size) do you plan on keeping?

4. NewbiePta

NewbiePta

Welcome!

5. Mr Dan

Mr Dan

Welcome,for what period of time are you wanting to keep your mullet, probably will find it easier to get wet up to your ummm belly:eek: with a throw net as oppossed to succefully keeping them in a tank for an extended period

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

They pretty easy to keep alive and can handle very little filtration if feeding is minimised.

I keep about 20 in a drum and they easily last a month. I haven't tried again because I manly lure fish but I net and keep if I intend to target river snapper

7. STOCK

STOCK Thread Starter

In the past Ive been netting mullet and then putting them in a 20L bucket with an airpump. At the beach they go into a blow up kids pool or a rock pool.
    But they don't stay alive longer than a day so I need to net before each fishing session. I want to keep them in a bigger tank and then move them from the tank to the bucket before I go fishing. Im guessing I'd keep about 10 to 15.
    My plan is to start small (I have a 160L black plastic rectangular bucket with a lid) and then to get a 500L pool.

For the 20L bucket - I need a new airpump. Where can I get one? Will need to be battery operated.
    For the car I have a mattress air pump (12v lighter socket) Will this be too much for a 20L bucket? It pumps a huge amount of air. Where can I get a large airstone ?

For the 160L bucket - Ive seen systems at the LFS which pump water onto the surface through a pipe with holes in it, along with air and it has a filter. Is this an option or are there better products ?
    Thanks for the help !

8. STOCK

STOCK Thread Starter

Can someone tell me if there are better options than the pump I mentioned above ?

9. jimilutz

jimilutz

If you are only trying to keep them alive for a few days, while on holiday then add some sand. They are probably dying from the ammonia build up. Take sand from below the water line and keep it in water. This will preserve the bacteria which will break down the ammonia. This is the same principle as our domestic worker applied, when we came back from seaside holidays she wanted seawater but it had to have a bit of sand in the bottom of the bottle.

10. STOCK

STOCK Thread Starter

Two weeks in the tank would be ideal.
    What pump would you suggest?
    (160L bucket)

11. jimilutz

jimilutz

Just get one of those small internal filter boxes with pump included, some activated carbon in in will help maintain the water quality. 200-400l/ hour should be fine.

12. STOCK

STOCK Thread Starter

Do I need to change the water or add anything else - food, chemicals etc?

13. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

You going to need quite a bit of sand to keep even half of that amount alive for three weeks you will need more than a little sand. A 160 litre bucket is a tall order for filtration of that bioload. I would recommend to get a decent filtration protocol going for a few weeks, then only add fish one bacterial population has established itself. Do a water change when adding fish and a vacterial suppliment like seachem stability or prodibio biodigest every time you introduce mullet.
    Whenever you take them out to go fishing, a simple battery driven air pump in your bait bucket will do.
    Truth is, its so much "work " to keep em alive, you might become attached to them, or start feeding them and eventually realize its worth fattening them up fot the coals...
    Haarder braai... Yummy!

14. STOCK

STOCK Thread Starter

Braai lol
    Will it be easier to keep them alive in a 500L tank?
    Which pump should I get for 500L?

15. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Yes, and you going to need a bit more than just a pump

16. Ricky W

Ricky W

Why don't u get a 1000l drum and put it in the back garden somewhere. Less will go wrong with it than in the smaller tanks u will just need a circulation pump to keep the water moving. U get those old square ones second hand and I don't think they that expensive.

17. STOCK

STOCK Thread Starter

1000L will be too big. It will be for holiday use only. Im considering 500L.
    Where can I get the circulation pump you speak of ?
    Will I need an airpump ?
    Will I need a filter or protein skimmer.
    Needs to keep fish for about two weeks.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2015
  18. Ricky W

Ricky W

Can chuck in a air pump if u want but u won't need a skimmer. If u can do a water change every day or 2 I would. If it's only a few then I wouldn't worry.

Recent Posts