Hi

Discussion in 'New Members' started by berry, 30 Aug 2014.

1. berry

berry

Hi

Im looking into starting a marine tank been keeping fresh water tanks my whole life but starting to get over it because it all seem to be the same thing and co2 tanks aren't to my liking.

Ive been doing research into nano tanks like the boyu and aquaria tanks and cant decide which is the best.
    Or should I dive straight into a 3 or 4 foot tank and hope everything go right first time round?

And last thing my ideal tank would be mainly corals with a few fish and some shrimps so nothing to special for now. :m106:

Last edited: 30 Aug 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q89

Q89

Welcome to the forum.

If possible go for a bigger system. In a bigger system you have more (play) with the water parameters then in a smaller system. In other words a bigger system will be easier than a smaller one.

Just my 2c.

4. JackSplat

JackSplat

To each his own, but nano's are more difficult than big tanks imo. @Q89 is correct, rather try something bigger. I would recommend something in the size of about 300 litre total for a start. Not too expensive to start and also quite stable due to volume...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A nice beginner tank is between 250L upto 500L
    equipment is reasonable, Water changes are 2 drums.
    Smaller than 100L and it is a bit more difficult to maintain good parameters.
    I started on a 90L, so its not impossible.

6. Jason

Jason

Welcome...

Ill personally start with a bigger tank, not because its more stable than a small tank, especially heat issues but you going to push in money into the small tank and a year down the line you want to go bigger, double the expense...

My first tank was a little pico, didnt cost me like R500 bucks 7 years ago and 2 months later i got me a 1.2x600x600 tank and could keep all the fish i wanted, especially tangs and surgeon fish...

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Recent Posts