Hi

Reaction score
Hi guys.

My name is Morné and I am a fishoholic. I used to get my fix from my 7 current FW setups but now the addiction have pushed me over to the darkside and I have decided to give saltwater a try. TASA better not find out...

I recently aquired a Yebo R338 (40l) from a friend, and since it is such a cool little tank, couldn't resist the idea of a little pico marine. I know it is not ideal to start so small, but hey - my budget allows for now more at this stage.

I bought some supposed mature water from a lfs in Bellville and started the cycle about a week and a half ago with Seachem Stability and Prime, Aragonite for substrate and just over 4kg's Fuji blue liverock. Yesterday I had the water tested at a lfs in Brackenfell and discovered that the "matured water" I bought had a salinity of 1.010 ppm and I have been raising it by adding salt since yesterday. Currently my ph is around 7.5 and I have added some 'limestone' in the hope of raising and buffering my ph. I hope I didn't make a mistake?

Anypenny - I swiftly realised 2 things since starting this: Money flies way faster than with freshwater and the marine side is totally different from freshwater in many aspects.
So once again - I am a total noob and are reading my butt off. It seems the more i read , the more I have to read and it is pretty interesting.

I look forward to learning loads on this forum - thanks for having me.

Welcome to MASA Morne, hope you learn lots here and enjoy it. Some more reading for you below in my signature on starting a marine tank - a must read for new reefers - great info regarding tank cycle, lights, filtration, etc ;)

Welcome to MASA!
Be careful buying " mature " water. All you getting is old dirty water with unknown parameters. Rather buy RO and salt and mix yourself. That way youll know exactly what you adding to your tank.
I wouldnt recommend adding limestone. Buy a good pH/kh buffer to get your parameters where they need to be.

Hello and welcome.

Browse MASA, there is a lot of information.

Back
Top Bottom