HI

Discussion in 'New Members' started by erle_vaughan, 11 Jan 2011.

1. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

Howzit, my name is Erle... like the TV show just spelled different... I have been lurking on this forum for about 4 or 5 months now and have been signed up for just about a month, my lurking was never creepy though, I was here for the educational benefits of learning from other successes and failures.
    I have in that time seen quite a few neewbies and restarts pop on and get going with their systems... most with success and some with the no more feedback... maybe they are too busy sticking plumbers putty over the ever increasing leaks that tend to pop up.

I will try to keep you guys updated, selfishly as it might be, not only for your perusal and amusement... more so, so that i can have the breaks applied when things get carried away and i do dumb things.

Here is my set-up and story so far:
    I like DIY and doing things and stuff so where ever possible I have done or made homemade devices.
    I managed to get my hands on a 1200x600x600 old fresh water tank after talking to and ex-reefer who had a stunning tank and exchanging a case of hansa.
    The same reefer then told me he had some more stuff in his garage and handed me an 800x400x400 tank,a large net, a 200w heater, some air hose, an air pump,a smally water pump c/w built in filter an maybe some more even uselesser (yes i will make up my own words from time to time) stuffs... which I exchanged for a bottle of 12 year chivas and the best of wishes.

After doing some shopping around here in my area and coming up short and then driving to town...(fyi-warner beach okes call Durban "town") and finding poorly stocked extortioners, i decided i was going to have to do this like the rest of my hobbies and procure everything online for this i got hold of @lanzo from Dorry Pets in centurion who not only had everything i wanted and more but also had the best prices on this planet, actually i will say they were the best in the solar system. They will be getting future business from me for sure.
    Anyways so i got Dorry Pets to send me a Reeftek TS-2, 2x sieo 1000 powerheads, some T5 ballasts and fittings and a salifert test kit for almost everything.

I have made my own kind of plan for surface skimming and have inserted a weir at the top of my tank that is about 150mm deep and at an angle so it take up min space it goes completely across my tank from side to side skimming the entire rear surface of my tank. (i will attach the CAD drawing for a better idea later)

To get the water out the weir i drilled two 50mm holes with a diamond encrusted hole-saw which i got from the local hardware store and my trusty black n decker battery drill. sheeewww these things made me sweat and took like 15mins each to get through the 10mm glass, but they went easy peasy and i had no dramas.

I split my sump into three compartments with my original plan going to be 1st live rock, then pass over a baffle into the skimmer part and then through a micro bubble trap and then return to the display tank.... this has changed and i now have the TS-2 in the first chamber, and a 150mm Deep Sand Bed in the second that i have chucked some live rock in for good measure (breaks can be applied now if necessary). I have placed my 4800L/H return pump along with the 200w heater in my third section.

For the return plumbing i have split it twice because that little sucker below packed a punch and then some, i split the 20mm return hose in two with a T-piece and then where the water enters i have put another t-piece on each nozzle. My main reason for this is that i went for the play sand in my Display Tank because I thought it looked really cool (super white and fine like the cape town beaches) however before i tamed the beast i had sand storms everywhere and things were going pear-shaped.
    I have been thinking about buying a bag of dry arragonite to place a layer over the fine sand... (advice needed here too).

I also procured a 210L drum for water collection, which means 2 trips for a full tank (with some extra containers i have lying around)

I built the stand out of 40mm angle iron and have built a cabinet out of 9mm shutter, however this is going to change because i don't smaak it too much.

I will put some more updates and info later.

Thanks for everything so far.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dizi

Dizi

Welcome!! :thumbup:

4. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome. Good to see I'm not the only newby trying out all sorts of plans....

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome !!

I too am a DIY person !

May i suggest a couple things

adding aragonite with the play sand will be fine

put the heater into the skimmer or DSB compartment, they will not run dry, the pump compartment may run dry .... and a heater out of water ... eish !

use the T'd off water to run some DIY reactors such as a carbon reactor !

oh and without pics, we dont believe you !!!! :p

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined :)

7. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan Thread Starter

thanks o's.

choon choon quick sharp.... what does carbon do... even crazy scientific answers will do, and how is it most effectively utilized?

8. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa, sounds like youve made a good start.

thats a rapid return pump for that size tank though, personally id t one section off to a remote algae turf scrubber which drains back to the sump and have the other half feeding the tank.

do u have any LR in yet. if not i wouldnt stress too much about sand srorms as the flow characeristics will all change in tank once u have LR in

9. erle_vaughan

this is the drawing of my set-up

you will see here how I have made my surface skimmer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Jan 2011
  10. erle_vaughan

Thanks crispin, that is definitely in the game plan... i need to research algae scrubber some more, i got a buddy who is battling with one at the moment so i will be learning from his mistakes. I will keep you guys posted on what his beef with it is and how he plans on over coming it.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2011
  11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It removes dissolved organic compounds (DOC's) from the water and make the water clear. It can also remove harmful sprays, etc entering the tank - up to a limit of course.

12. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

15. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

16. erle_vaughan

Here is a pic of my tank in its naked form.
    [​IMG]

This was about 35days ago.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2011
  17. erle_vaughan

and no those blurry spots are not fish...

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

Welcome there bud ... Looks like everythings going smooth so far and you are on the right track .... Only one small concern is this "live rock"you thrown into the sump ..... Is it resting on the DSB .... if so you might want to "suspend" it over the sand so as not to create any dead spots where water does not flow over the sand .... You can use some egg crate and build a stand over the DSB ..... other than that looks like you off to a great start .....
    Posted via Mobile Device

19. erle_vaughan

Thanks chikaboo, that stuff was just in transit... i thought as much might happen my sandbed i wide open now... i would like to mesh it in someway so that it doesn't get blown away. I will send some pics of what i mean.

20. erle_vaughan

Here is my home made stuff:

TOP UP... vacuum seal lunch box and hose
    [​IMG]

USN shaker mixer and air hose from a small pump
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Jan 2011
  21. Tremayn

Tremayn

Whats the usn bottle for? That can't be the ATS right?

Recent Posts