Hi to all

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Rockford, 4 Feb 2012.

1. Rockford

Rockford

Hi to all,

Been reading a few threads and i get the feeling i am definitely in the right place for some advice!

One of my life goals has always been to try and build my own marine tank (i know i aim high! Sorry....) i have read countless forums advising people to take it slow and read read read. So i am going to take that advice from the get go, which brings me here.

I am currently based in Bryanston, Jhb. I live in a complex on the third floor (no lift!) A couple concerns/questions i have,

1. Can anyone advise on a decent pet shop in the area?
    2. Would it be a good idea trying to start my first tank on the third level of a complex? ( i assume there are water changes that need to happen etc?)
    3. Placement and size of tank? Placement is a bit tricky as my apartment is a loft and by the nature of a loft it has a lot of natural light, the only real spot i have to physically put the tank is in the corner of the dining room, right next to a big sliding door ( Good/Bad idea?) Size, i know advise is bigger is easier to maintain however, the problem with bigger for me personally is heavier loads of water changes! Any advice on size to begin with?
    4. Maybe the question you may ask before you can answer question 3 is, what am i wanting? Well, i picture in my mind a smallish tank with a couple live rocks, coral and some clown fish.

As you can tell, my major initial concern is the fact that i live high up and i am also currently renting on a 12month liase. So it is quite possible i am relocating in 12 months, so not sure how easy/difficult it is to move a tank once its settled?

Appreciate any help / advice given.

Rock:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi Rock,
    Welcome to Masa!

When all else fails, read... And when your eyes get too tired to read, phone a friend, or log a post on MASA. Plenty of wise guys floating around, happy to assist.

Depending on the size of tank you are planning, living on the 3rd floor may not be that big a problem. The smaller the tank, the smaller the containers you can get away with for water changes. You might get strong legs / arms from carrying all those cans up the stairs!

I currently have a nano 24g. With approx 13kg live rock and 2 clowns. The water changes is around 20l per week, and RO top-up every 2nd / 3rd day of approx. 1-2L. Tank is relatively stable, standing in front of a window (covered porch outside, gets the heat of the roof, though. Tank temp avg 27-28deg.)

Regarding moving the tank. Obviously not too big an issue if tank is that small. Might need a buddy to help you move it, should you need to relocate. But hey, what buddy cannot be bribed at least once with a cold beer?

You can look at the sponsor forum to locate sponsors in your area. Do not know that side of town that well...

Hope to see a tank-thread soon!

Cheers,
    Carla

4. erratiC

erratiC

See below!

Can't help you here.. check the sponsors forum like @Gesiggie said.

I'm in a complex as well although I've got 2 lifts to choose from but jeez it was a mission carrying 25L RO from my car in the beginning... I suggest that if it becomes too taxing on your arms/legs that you invest in a RO machine. This has saved me endless back aches carrying 2x 25L containers around.

Wrt size, whatever your pocket is happy with then go for it... as you've read - bigger is better but like you say : the water changes are a mission. Like I said earlier, invest in a RO machine if you can. All you would have to do is get a long hose and a return pump and pump it directly into your tank from a premixed salt/RO store. If you're placing it next to a sliding door - does that sliding door lead outside? We're almost into Autumn but perhaps you could think of a chiller sometime in the future?

I've got a Boyu TL-550 but am now building a 1500mm x 600mm x 500mm tank as my first - mmmm, can't wait! You sound like you don't want something that big so consider possibly around 1000mm long? Perhaps less? It's really up to you..

Again, like @Gesiggie mentioned - it's not that hard to move a tank if you've got a friend or two.

Good luck dude - looking forward to seeing a thread on your new tank :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...

Here is a Link to our Sponsors...should give you an idea of who is in you'r area...the map, I think, needs a bit of an "upgrade"...so you will probably find the "Info" of our Sponsors on the Thread or Public Profile...hope this helps...

Sponsors Forums - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I would suggest a "small Tank" especially if you'r on a 12month Lease...as it's never advised to "move a "stable" tank....although guy's usually end up going bigger within that time-frame...:lol:...but seriously...amazing how this Hobby can drain you'r wallet, so in my opion, you can select "small" to start off with...yes...I believe it's definately "easier" to maintain a larger Tank...I read that all the time...I have a 58L Nano and don't really see the difference...if you'r someone who wants to...say...do a waterchange maybe twise a month...then yes..larger probably better...I check Salinity multiple times a day...same with Temp...do "additive parameter checks" weekly and do weekly waterchanges....I'll do that regardless of whether I have a 58L or 580L...so "in my mind" I don't see the difference...

Here is a good little Nano you can have a look at...you can probably get cheaper Tanks on our "For Sale Forum"...some good one's pop up...
    ITS HERE the NEW Aquaria Nanos.... - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

My New AWM37 NANO setup - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 5 Feb 2012
  6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. Some reading for you below on starting a marine tank - valuable info for beginners ;)
    You get nano's and small tanks to buy as a complete setup, but if you want to go customised, then look at a cube 600L x 600W x 500H which will roughly give you 160 - 200 litres of water including a small sump. Water changes will be about 15-20 litres per week if you do weekly. Then you run the tank with live rock and a skimmer only or add a NP pellet reactor if needed. But not a deep sand bed as you might have to break up the system in a year or so.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome dude!

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome.

Going BIG is then out of the question.

A Nano system, would be ideal in you case. 80 to 100L.

9. Rockford

Rockford Thread Starter

gh

Last edited: 8 Feb 2012
  10. Rockford

Rockford Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes and Advice!

Been doing some serious "soul searching" and seem to have come across a tank that really appeals to me,

boyu tl550 marine tank - other pets for adoption in Johannesburg & Gauteng - Gumtree Johannesburg & Gauteng Free Classifieds

For R2000 it comes with a skimmer, heater, lights, nets, electrical equip pumps etc

Not sure how good or bad this price is, but seems worth it to me.

Any advice on what i should be looking out for before purchasing a second hand tank?

I also found a LFS called Dorry Pets which is not far from where i stay, i think they are actually a sponsor on MASA?

Anyways, starting to also think about what i'm going to need to get my cycle underway when i purchase the tank, are these tanks pritty much "plug and play"? i know i may may get shot using those words on this forum :tt2:

Rock:)

11. Rockford

Rockford Thread Starter

Pic of the tank for sale

[​IMG]

12. Jeann1

Jeann1

Looks ok - might need some modifications to it for marine. Not to clued-up on the nano tanks and how they are run effeciently, but loads of guys here have similur tanks and can give you great advice...

O, and btw. welcometomasa

13. Rockford

Rockford Thread Starter

Hi guys, as you know i'm shopping around for a new tank. stumbled on this one, any idea what a tank like this is worth?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Feb 2012
  14. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

what size is that bro? looks good. better than a tl550. least you can have a proper sump

Recent Posts