HI to all!!!Need Help in NAMIBIA

Reaction score
I am currently running a 290L tank on a 1200L/H cannister with build in UV light.My filter media is as follows: Filter wool(which i replace once a week),5kg ceramic rings and 1kg activated carbon.The Skimmer I am running is a 900L/H hang-on and the lighting is a 150w 14000k MH,2 t5 39w 10000k and 2 moonlight LEDs

I have 10-15 kg live rock (Fiji) ,2cm deep crushed coral for a sand bed.My live stock consists of 1 yellow tang ,1 striped surgeon ,2 clowns ,1 domino ,2 stars ,2 snails.
Running my lights for 12h a day.Water changes are done 2 times a month 25L and I have my own RO unit, which gives me a high Nitrate count!Why?I have the same high Nitrate count in my tank giving me algae problems.I have been running this setup for 18 months.How do I reduce the Nitrate count?

I also want to know who can supply me with more live rock as i need atleast 25kg more than I have currently.I really want corals aswell but our marine supplier closed down so I am left In the dark :( Need help or suggestions for my problems
</IMG>

Welcome to the forum. One of the experts will help you with the Nitrate questions. U can phone SAMS Aquarium(0217122534), he send's live stock to Namibia.

Hi, welcome to MASA.
High nitrates, change your R/O filters they sound worn out, the ceramic rings will also contribute t6o high nitrates, let the live rock do it. Crushed coral is a detritus trap. i would remove it a replace with sand, also how much do you feed?

First of,what is in that canister filter? I would only place Po4 remover and carbon in there. Judging by the water volume,you are running too much of carbon.Use about a cup full.

Filter wool should be rinsed/replaced daily or every second day.

Please remove the ceramic rings,slowly,ie a little bit every day.

Get rid of your crushed coral and replace with aragonaite or play sand. Remember,CC is very coarse and traps detritus leading to nitrate and phosphate issues.

As for the UV,it is not a must on the system.

hey, i think the problems may be in your cannister.... How often do you replace your ceramic rings? becasue they become a problem over time and contribute big time to your levels.. :whistling: i think that may be the root of your problems, give it a try and see:) welcome to masa by the way:)

hi there and welcome, i think your problem is youre ro unit , did you buy it brand new or second hand if it is second hand then you must check your membrane of the ro unit, if you bought it new check your carbon, what carbon are you using?

Back
Top Bottom