Hi there

Reaction score
hi there, i stay in ct and i have just started in the hobby although i have studied it in books. i have a 1.2 m tank with sand and marine water in it , gotta cycle it for six weeks?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Limpet, welcome to MASA.

Ok you will need to tell us a bit more about your set up and pics if possible :D

Have you got any test kits yet? Also what filtration are you using?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
hi there, i stay in ct and i have just started in the hobby although i have studied it in books. i have a 1.2 m tank with sand and marine water in it , gotta cycle it for six weeks?
Hi, welcome to MASA, right, no, the sand and water don't cycle for 6 weeks, the liverock you buy has to cycle until the ammonia/nitrite and nitrate levels return to zero (this spike is caused by very small creatures and bacteria dying off from transporting the rock from shop to home). Just checking, where did you get your marine water from?

Reaction score
hi and welcome to masa

tell us more about the system - dimensions, pumps, sump, .... and also post some pics. Do you have any live rock in it yet?

it is good to see you waiting for it to cycle - make sure you test for ammonia and nitrites and when they drop to zero, your tank has cycled

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Limpet! A very WARM welcome to MASA! Glad to see that you have found us! Yes - please elaborate on the following:
- what skimmer do you have?
- do you have a DSB?
- what lighting do you have?
- what are your plans regarding the tank's inhabitants?

Have a look at the CTRC thread. Perhaps you can put down your name too and join in, if you want to, this coming Saturday?

Please post some pics of your tank, your sump, filtration, lighting, etc?

To answer your question - not specifically 6 weeks - could be shorter, could be longer. Of course, the longer the better.
You cycle your tank's water UNTIL there's no readings on any of the following:
ammonia, nitrites, nitrates (or as low as possible), phosphates...
By then the alkalinity would have stablized, as well as the pH of the water.....

Reaction score
lighting is flourescents , six skinny ones , two blue , four white, the skimmer is under the tank in another tank, no name brand, what is a dsb?

Reaction score
dsb- deep sand bed. which goes in your sump and is usually between 10-15 cm deep

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ok - here's some enlightenment :)

- "skinny" fluorescents = T5's (mostly) :) - Sounds GOOD! Do you know the wattage of each?
- "tank under the tank" = Sump
- DSB = Deep Sand Bed - it is where people add sand to their tanks, that's between minimum of 100mm (I rather say 120mm) and 150mm deep (perhaps even deeper). Then it is called a DSB (deep sand bed)

Don't you know the brand of skimmer perhaps?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
lighting is flourescents , six skinny ones , two blue , four white, the skimmer is under the tank in another tank, no name brand, what is a dsb?
i'm guessing the skinny tubes are T5's? the tank under the main tank is a sump, and a DSB is a Deep Sand Bed, goes in the sump, 100-1500mm deep sand bed that helps to denitrify the tank, you will get used to the terminology as you go:thumbup:

Reaction score
Limpet Mine or not ?

Welcome Limpet, Nice to see the gang helping out. You are in good hands. May your new adventure be a happy and prosperous one :thumbup1:

Reaction score
thank you, why cant you just have deeper sand in your fish tank? this is what i have done oops

Reaction score
thank you, why cant you just have deeper sand in your fish tank? this is what i have done oops
You can run a DSB in your tank, not always the easiest thing but is done quite often. Make sure you have the correct depth as you need oxygen starved snad, where the nice Nitite eating bacteria thrive.

The main reason i seperate my DSB from my display is space and it becomes a breeding farm for pods and other tiny critters which slowly feed the display tank's inmates