Hi Newbie...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jaco1981, 11 May 2011.

1. jaco1981

jaco1981

Halloos

I’m from Cape town and I have a Boyu tl-550 128L tank that I bought 2 months ago.

Chamber 1 - Bag of carbon.
    Chamber 2 - Protein skimmer.
    Chamber 3 - Bag of NitratR and bag of Extrax Phos and heater.
    Chamber 4 - Return pump.

Standard lighting supplied with tank.

As I jumped into this new hobby I added live rock after I had the tank for a week...
    After 2 weeks a friend gave me 3 buisket sea stars which I added to my tank.
    After a month my local pet shop advised me to add 2 x mollies to cycle my tank faster... I did so and they are doing well. I added 3 clownfish a week ago and they really look happy, but I’m really scared that I’m going to fast!!

Will add some pics.

Please any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. COMMANDO

COMMANDO

:welcometomasa2:

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

welcome to the forum. The guys here will give you some awesome advice.

You started off right by changing your filter media like taking out the bio balls and the ceramic rings. Ill put the heater in the second chamber as it always stays full of water as the 3rd one can lose some water when you do a water change or just from evaporation and might expose the heater. Ill also add some filter floss in chamber one and maybe replace it every 3rd day. It will stop the detris and waste to get stuck in your bag of carbon and other filtration media.Also remember that your carbon becomes exhausted and will leak toxins back into the water when its full.So it will need to be replaced every month or so. I only run it for a week or so a month{or just when needed) and change it after the 3rd month of using it. Also make sure its a good quality activated carbon. Ill take one of the clowns back to the lfs. They will start fighting. Have you got a mated pair. Keep an eye on them. If you see 2 of them swimming together all the time then they are likely to be a mated pair.If they are young fish,two of them will develope into a mated pair as they are all born as males and will change sex. 3 clowns will fight.

If you go too fast you are likely to see bad things happen.Add livestock slowly to give your biological filter time to catch up. Rather take your time,read up on what you want and then only decide to put it in the tank. Nothing is worse than an impulsive buy only to ralise a few days later that you made a bad purchase. Just enjoy the ride. Its amazing and you will soon be hooked,if not already. Its amazing to have a lil mini ocean in your lounge and to see things change and grow daily.

Last edited: 11 May 2011
    Reef Maniac likes this.
  5. jaco1981

jaco1981 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!

What will happen if I just add another clown?
    I have 2 small clowns and the 3rd one's a little bigger?

Cheers

6. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Clowns dont get along/ Rather take it back to lfs. Rather be safe than sorry. ALso, you cant add another species of clownfish. They dont get along. You can get really nice other fish thatll be awesome for our lil boyus'. Do some good research and then add fish. But take it slow. Instead of adding more fish.add some colour to your tank by adding some SOFT corals.In our tanks you cant add to many fish,so it pays by doing research and then to save up for something beautiful. Stay away from tangs,no matter what your fish shop tells you. Go to forums, beginner sicussions and read the sticky "easy soft corals for your reef tank".also read the other sticky's. They awesome reads. Take things slow,check your water parametres and make sure they good. Then you can add something. then check your parametres regularly. Its not as bad and complicated as it sound. It gets easier the more you know and its so so much fun.

jaco1981 likes this.
  7. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome jaco. As Charl said, take things slow :) .. Remember that the LFS is a business and that there goal is to make money, so they will sell all sorts of things to you (good and bad) and give you dodge advice eg cycling your tank with fish (this is unethical as the fish suffers)..

Read a lot and ask guys here for advice, things will work out good :) .. Upload some pics of your setup. How much of LR do you have in there?

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined. Some reading for you in my signature on starting a marine tank, I know your tank has been running a while, but good info none the less ;)
    O ja, tell that petshop I say it is cruel to use fish to cycle a tank as ammonia and nitrites is toxic to fish and can burn their gills and make them suffer. Shame on them :(

9. maxisoft

maxisoft

:welcome6:

The used of mollies to cycle a tank is cruel, even though they're quite hardy. The problem is trying to catch them when they become undesirable.... :p

If you havent already been prepped in teh MASA way, be prepared that we will always ask for pics and expect them pronto....hehe... so post some pics and let's see what you have so far...

PS: Read @Tobes links... They will help you in a big way and save you plenty $$$$...;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I also think its cruel and hate it when lfs tells guys to cycle with mollies. They dont care about fish(not all lfs,tho). Just about money.

11. jaco1981

jaco1981 Thread Starter

thanks for all the info! everyone!!
    The lfs also told me that its normal for the tank to turn green/greenhair algae in the beginning? I've seen that if I reduce the light cycle, it reduces the algae a bit?

12. jaco1981

jaco1981 Thread Starter

I have looked around Cape Town,but can't find any petshop that stocks soft corals?? Where do I find osft corals?

13. maxisoft

maxisoft

Its advisable that lights are kept off during the cycle....... Save you mucho problemo's with Algae later...;)

14. maxisoft

maxisoft

Check out the sponsor threads here on MASA... theres a couple of really good reputable LFS in CPT...:thumbup:

15. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Jaco,

And WELCOME to MASA and to this great hobby

Talk to the sponsors here on MASA - they are generally reputable, and some of the best shops in the country (and there's a bunch of them in the Kolonie)

Hennie

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

Green Hair Algae (gha) is normal to have in a new tank :)

Recent Posts