Hi, My name is Juan and I'm new here.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by vanstaden, 9 Nov 2011.

1. vanstaden

vanstaden

Hi everyone..

I'm new to the forum and to marine aquariums.

I hope to start my new hobby soon but I'm going to need allot of help from you guys.. If you dont mind.

I want to start my "Project" from scratch .Building a Reef Tank ,Cabinet ,sump and everything my self because I'm on a limited budget and i believe it will help me get experience with marine aquariums and what makes them tic.

And here is where I need your help and advise. I'm looking at a 1200mm(L) x 450mm (w) x 600mm(h) but im not sure at all if this would be OK for my first tank, do I need smaller or bigger? The volume will be around 324L if my math is correct

I also need some advise on the hardware. There are so many things available. I dont know what is nessesary and what is luxury. I tried to filter through all the information on the net but I'm strugling to make sense of it all.I need to know what i should install in the sump, i want to install a skimmer but not sure witch one would be adaquate for the tank and how many pumps , where they should go and what the L/hour rating should be.

Any way, hope you guys can help

Later

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi and Welcome To MASA

I would go 1200mm x 600mm x 600mm This will alow you more freedom when aquascaping!

Skimmer is a definate must in my books, Personaly i would get one rated for double the water volume you are planing. Perhaps a TS3

Hails likes this.
  4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!!!

That size tank is a good size. Whether or not its the right size will depend on what you want to keep.
    What you need to put in the sump will depend on livestock, space available and budget.

5. vanstaden

vanstaden Thread Starter

Hardware

Wow , thanks for the quick reply

Wat thickness of glass would i need, because that would increase the volume with about 100L

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi and welcome!

i would change it a bit to 1200x600x500h, having more height will increase your light costs, at 500mm most T5 combinations will be perfect, also the higher the tank the harder to work in, and safer, no ladders etc...
    the width will allow you more freeedom on scaping and will allow you more fun and enjoyment, my experience.

as for whats needed, i would recoment the following based on keeping soft corals and some LPS.
    a skimmer rated for 500L or more, jns or reef octo are my preferences, then for lighting i would use 4-6 39w T5 globes, these will allow you to keep all the soft corals and most LPS, 6 globes would be ideal, but 4 is sufficient to start with 8 being perfect for any corals,

when you design your stand i would cater for the biggest sump you can build, 1100x500x400, with 3-4 chambers, for mechanical and chem filtering, DSB, LR and return

you can get away with 6mm glass for the tanlk providing its well braced, but 8mm will be better

i am sure i might have left some info out, typing and trying to work :)

7. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA. Lots of good advice in the forums section and a lot of other interesting DIY stuff and various reading material. :)

8. vanstaden

vanstaden Thread Starter

Lol, Ok makes sense..but theres a few things i need to know.

LPS, DSB and LR?

Can you explain to me in what i put in the different chambers from 1 - 3?

Any recommendations on where to shop for hardware around the Western Cape

thanks

Last edited: 9 Nov 2011
  9. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa and the wonderful world of marines:) its afun journey and we will do all we can to help you plan and make a sucess of your tank:)

there are far better tank builders on masa than me so im not gpoing to go into the technical aspects but certain aspects that are worth looking into are:

the wider the tank the easier it is to aquascape up to 1m IF you can access the tank from both sides. A 'penisular style' tank is the best for this, but if you aim a only viewing from the front and have a back plate on the back then i would suggest a tank thats 600-700 wide at max so that you can still reach the back wall. You need some space around your reef to be able to clean algae off the glass etc and thus the LR cant be too close, around 5-10cm from glass if possible as this helps alot with flow patterns and fish swimming too.

depth i would look at anything between 500-650mm water depth, but rember the deeper the tank the greater the pressure on the glass and the harder it is for light penetration. As this will be your first own buildt tank Id suggest bracing the tank well rather than going rimless. I would also suggest looking up coast to coast over flows and see how they work so that you can design one into the tank.

As for skimmers there are some very good brands and makes on the south african market, sometimes a little more expensive that the Reef Octopus Ts2 or Ts3 which is what many people use. Id look at them carefully because while they maybe more expensive you get far better results and thats vital when first starting off:)

sumps are pretty simple things (well good sumps are simple) but try leave an area for an auto top up chamber with RO water in it. Having an auto top up system to continually replace water lost through evaporation is very important to keeping ones tank level stable and helps with havinga constant SH level. Besides its far easier to full a ro chamber once a week that it is replaceing water into the tank every day manually.

10. crispin

crispin

there are a number of sponsors to masa in the WC, have you had a look at the sponsors section yet?

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

Hi there welcome to the neighbourhood.

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

13. vanstaden

vanstaden Thread Starter

Ah, that will help a lot.

Im sure there is still a lot ill learn about the forum ,i only found it 2 days ago.

14. vanstaden

vanstaden Thread Starter

15. Evo R

Evo R

:welcometomasa2:

Hi

First off....

Work out what your budget is.(Now you are going to say "how much will i need to budget for?" Thats as good as asking how long is a piece of string??) You can setup a nice tank from R2000.00 all the way to past R500k !! Then look around this site, especially in the members tank section. To get an idea of what it is that you want to keep. Then work from there.

Then the 3 things you dont skimp on when setting up your tank are:

The tank (glass thickness and bracing) I would go 10mm or more. Remember that a leak or a tank burst is everyones nightmare. And it does happen!! I see you are in Swellendam. Should something go wrong im one of a handfull of people close to you to help.(And im 160km away) Where the guys in the cities have fellow reefers staying a couple of blocks away. So rather thicker and safer.

Skimmer, Buy the best that your budget allows for.

Lighting, Same as above.

Rather spend that R500 extra and get the better option than having to rebuy a better item a couple of months down the line.

Then i would also sugest you use the dsb route instead of the np bio or even the zeo route for the simple fact that a plain dsb will be more forgiving to a noob(thats you;)) than the more hi tech fitration route.

Then some reefing lingo:

dsb = Deep and bed
    lr = Live rock
    np bio = Np bio pellets. (Needs a reactor)
    zeo = zeovite/new zeo (Also in pellet form and needs a special reactor.)

There is a link somewhere here with all the acronims and there explanations.

O yes one last thing, before you buy anything....ask the friendly bunch on MASA for there opinions before you buy. As we dont see you as a walking ATM and wont try and sell you things that you dont need or will need to replace soon.

Ask as many questions as you like, no one will think your dumb!!
    And most of us here(me included) are all pic-O-holics!! We love pics!! So when you are starting your setup please share with us.

Happy reefing!!

16. vanstaden

vanstaden Thread Starter

I definately gonna ask before i buy anything..

I can see why people like marine aquariums..and why its addictive.

havent even started yet and its all i can think about, cant wait for that 13th check.

17. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

18. vanstaden

vanstaden Thread Starter

How does the "dsb" work , i understand that its bacteria and so on..but is that the only filtration you have in a marine tank ..or do you have also have something like the corner filter in a fresh water aquarium filled with charcoal and fluff?

How deep should the sand be?

19. vanstaden

vanstaden Thread Starter

Thanks for all the warm welcomes , its realy nice that everyones so friendly around here

20. crispin

crispin

have a look here...Sponsor Map

its a google map of the different sponsors and their locations, a number in WC you can email and chat to:)

21. vanstaden

vanstaden Thread Starter

Thanks ,That will really help..dont know my way around Cape Town yet.

Recent Posts