Hi MASA

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Sch@lk, 9 Oct 2016.

1. Sch@lk

Sch@lk

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking for years but I thought it a good time to register and say hi!

My name is Schalk and i have been keeping planted aquariums of various styles for many years. Some low tech and some with a lot of light, vigorous dosing schedules and Co2 injection.

I tore down my last tank about 6 months ago and I want to start getting things together for my first ever marine tank.

I really want to do this proper the first time round. I have bumped my head in the beginning with the planted tank scene so i kind off know what steps to follow.

I will first decide on a size and get the tank built and design and build the sump. I'm kind of leaning towards 1000mm x 500mm x 500mm for the tank.

I will then a month or so down the line decide on the best possible protein skimmer for the tank and then design my sump around that. Will needs lots of help regarding the sump as I'm used to running canister filters.

Next, the lights. I'm a huge fan of t5's but I'm considering going LED's after seeing how much they improved. What would you guys recommend for lights for a 1000mm x 500mm x 500mm tank? Zetlight?

I will not fill this tank unless I have all the equipment I want and will not skimp. Will 2 x MP10's be enough?

I will start off with the easier less demanding corals, but I want to be able to move to more demanding corals without upgrading my lights and pumps.

Have a good one!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. devesh.r

devesh.r

WELCOME:
    Proper planing is alway the best way to go. You dont want to have regrets few weeks after setting up.
    From experience, 600mm(w) tank will be a much better option.

4. oliver

oliver

Welcome
    Do your homework first and plan it like you want it ,listen to advice of others.You will get lots of good advice here.

5. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

100x50x50cm are nice dimentions

For a skimmer the bubble magus curve 7 should fit your needs. Or shop around in the for sale section for a good deal.

I would choose ATI T5s any day. But if you do go LEDs the zetlight zt6600 will fit your tank.

I personally don't see the need for buying expensive Ecotech wavemakers. And you see alot of people looking for ecotech wetsides or drysides because there's have broken. I'd rather go for a Jeboa wavemakers, you can buy a few for the price of one Ecotech and they are still Controllable. If you do want a better built wavemaker, go tunze. Haven't had one die yet.

Good luck

6. mandrin

mandrin

all the best
    welcome
    ps enjoy

7. SAReefer

SAReefer

Welcome to the marine side! Good luck on all the planning! For sump design, take a look at the Gmac website, some great stuff there.

For lights, I have just gone to the AquaIllumination Hydra 52's that generate great light on the tank and fully controllable which is awesome!

For wavemakers, I have 2 MP40's and they are great. Support from ExhoTech is also excellent if ever needed. MP10 may be ok for a soft-coral tank but sps will need more flow. Also depends on thickness of your glass. Check their site for a flow calculator and glass thickness specs.

Good luck with everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts