hi hi

Discussion in 'New Members' started by oceanic boy, 12 Sep 2011.

1. oceanic boy

oceanic boy

Hi reefers.... How you guys doing? Great to be here... Im starting a brand new marine tank and really need some good advice...my tank size- 650x650x350... I have a ts1 protein skimmer, a reactor and a return pump.. Apparently thats sufficient for now as im a beginner?... I really need advice on lighting.. I wanted metal halides but apparently my corals will be burnt because of the depth of my tank. True or false?... Im looking for light that will bring out the colour and coral in my rank.. Advice would be much appreciated... Thanx:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:...have you tried reading up on LED's...? Some good Units and with you'r size Tank, finding the perfect "fit" shouldn't be a problem as I find LED Unit's are more available for Medium to Larger Tanks...Not only will they help with heat, but also with Electricity...

PS..my next Tank is you'r size...made a Stand for a 650x650...was thinking of 450 for H but haven't decided yet...

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  4. oceanic boy

oceanic boy Thread Starter

Hi and thanx for the warm welcome. Yes i have used leds before and worked really well in my previous nano... Ive seen a pic on 1 of the new posts of a very small nano using metal halides and dats the reaon i wanted to try but peeps told me its going to burn my coral..

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

WELCOME to MASA

6. oceanic boy

Thank you

7. belindamotion

Yes...or apparently boil you'r water...:eek:

8. oceanic boy

Lol oh hell no!!!!! Say no to metal halides:thumbup: decide properly on your tank size.. Make sure thats what you reaaalllyyy want.. So are my requirements ok thus far for my tank? Do i need anything else?

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome! .. Depends what corals you have. If you have LPS or leathers high up under a MH then you could have a problem. Zoas should enjoy it. My water level is about 47cm and I have MH's .. Only problem you could have is heat, so you could fit a couple of PC pans to blow on the surface of the water

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

you will need a flow pump for the DT, substrate, salt water and a few LR's and you are good to start.. Oh and a heater, it gets a bit chilly in the night

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!!

What corla do you plan on keeping?
    Id personally go for T5's on a tank that shallow. They give you a wider choice of colours and wont boil your water.

Tremayn likes this.
  12. oceanic boy

Hi and thanx for the help trey.... How much are the fans are where exactly do i place them?

13. oceanic boy

Haha trey.... All that already bought and paid for....cant wait to start but as i learnt before, it requires a lot of PATIENCE..... :)

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

Well you have to keep the top open, then the fans blow between the surface of the water and the light.. So it basically blows the heat out. @mariusmeyer does this and it works

+1, 4 T5's will sort you out and wont cause a heat problem. You can get amazing colours from good quality tubes like ATI and Giesmann

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. belindamotion

There are many different types of fans..these are "fancy"...but if you want you can do a DIY job from any PC Store...I prefer "fancy"...just makes it look neater...but if you'r going to have a Hood...then cheap DIY PC Fans are perfect...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  16. Tremayn

Tremayn

clean all the equipment--> Place it in a large container and fill it with fresh water and vinegar. Let all the pumps and skimmer run in that mixture for a good 3hours or so as it will clean it nicely. Then let them run in clean fresh water for 30min to get rid of the vinegar..

then fill up your system with water, add substrate and then put the heaters in. Once the temp is good then you can add a couple of LR's to start the party.. Then its the patience game ;) .. Spend all that time researching livestock and when the time come you know what you want and whats required :)

17. oceanic boy

Perfect, ill go for the T5s then.... Not sure about what coral to keep as yet will def let you lnow... Thanx for the advice... Much appreciated...chat later... Cheers2

18. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Welcome ...

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

What corals you want to keep will determine wht lighting you need.
    Spend some time looking through the Members tanks (Members Systems and Setups - Marine Aquariums of South Africa ) to get an idea of what can be kept in a tank. One you know what you want to start off with, let us know and well advise you on filtration, lighting, etc.

20. oceanic boy

Guys i need help please......... In my sump, besides for the skimmer, heater, return pump, what reactor should i use???????? Theres so many reactors... Im so confused lol:)

21. jacoc

jacoc

My advice is for you to wait and run your system for a year first and see wat if anny shortfalls there is ...and then get if needed a divice to help you with that what your system has a short fall with...i doubt if you will need one even..what you are stocking at the end will determen this in the end aswell..are you planing a dsb in the sump?

Recent Posts