hi guys

Reaction score
Hi guys, been lurking on the forum for a while, trying to get as much info as I can and checking out other members builds and posts, trying to learn from those as well. Finally decided to make my first post, as i have finally decided to start my first tank.

This is where i stand at the moment:
I bought an Aquaria 102 nano about a year back when they were going on an unbelievable special. Decided to get married since then so whatever budget I had planned for the tank went the way of the wedding.

About two weeks back I finally started getting my gear together for the tank, from Aquaria again.
So far I have:
aquaria 102
10kg of the aquaria white substrate
10kg of their go aquarium salt (may decide to change to another brand)
100w heater
digital thermometer
refractometer
small bottle of bacteria
carbon
jebao wp-10 (just picked up today)
In the next few weeks I will get one large piece of the aquaria artificial rock (opinions?) and RO water from them as well. Then I can finally start my tank
biggrin.gif

Well, thats it for now, sorry for the long post guys, just getting everything out there now. Im guessing that I should start a new thread for the tank once I start or even before that with my plans?

thanks guys,
Byron

Thanks Viskop. Will start the cycle once I get the rock, in about a week or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's artificial rock, but wouldn't it be better if I had the rock for bacteria to colonize? Pardon my ignorance.

Unfortunately not yet, my preferred lfs is a bit of a drive away so will only be getting the water this coming week. By Tuesday or Wednesday latest should have it sorted

So I've finally got the water into the tank. Did my first mix in the tank before I added the substrate and rock. Now comes the hard part, waiting the month for the cycle to complete. Will be using go aquarium bacteria, any experiences with this.
522b215b5f7b9498fa964afb7a1de052.jpg
f332dc18c1fc6edc419a17f63d7bade6.jpg

Nice scape and congrats on starting it up :)

Thanks tekkengirl. Not really a scape, just one large piece of artificial rock. Seems to be hollow plastic, with lots of little holes. Hope it seeds with bacteria, but do have some ceramic rings in the sump that came with the tank.

That piece looks really nice in any event ;)
Just some info on the rings, they are nice however make sure that you rinse them out regularly (with salt water, don't kill the bacterial population by using RO or other means to clean it). The hollow in those rings trap detritus and cause water quality issues in the long term if not properly looked after.

Any other options to the ceramic rings then? Don't have any space for live rock and I really like the artificial one I have now.

The rings sit in the third compartment, after the skimmer and a filter sponge. Shouldn't collect that much detritus. Will monitor though.

Thanks for the advice tekkengirl

You could try seachem's matrix but you will still need to clean them every now and then. You are also going to need to clean the sponges regularly (weekly basis at least) for the same reason as it traps a lot of detritus and clogs. When I had the 37l version of your tank, that sponge used to clog up very quickly.

My tank has very little livestock, water is filtered through a filter sock before going through a skimmer and my tank still accumulates lots of gunk around the matrix stones :p The joys of reefkeeping :lol:

It's in the same process then, salt water instead of RO?

I know I've got a long learning curve ahead, but it should all hopefully come together with experience.

No worries, ask all the questions :) Best way to avoid the *numerous* pitfalls in this hobby.
You can use RO for the sponges as they don't form the main "bacteria house" as with the ceramic rings.
When you are doing your water changes, you can use that water to rinse both the rings and sponges out.

Hi, I also have one of those 102 magic waves.
Honestly I'd suggest that you remove the ceramic rings and replace them either seachem matrix or crushed coral/LR. This is due to the rate at which the ceramics collect dirt and they'd need more frequent cleanings whereas with crushed coral or matrix you will only clean occasionally.

Also with regards to the artificial rock. It is fine to use, but I suggest you get a couple pieces of LR as well in the system to help it.

Hi faiyaz2, thanks for that advice. Honestly don't have much space left in the tank for extra rock.

However, think I will go with the seachem matrix, would rather do without the hassle of the Rings.

Do you think I should do away with the sponge as well and just double up on the matrix?

Back
Top Bottom