Hi Guys!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Rob13, 11 Feb 2015.

1. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

Hi everyone!

I have kept many freshwater tanks in the past and just like many others before me, I have been drawn to the beauty that is a marine aquarium.

I am a complete novice when it comes to marine setups and only starting reading about 2 weeks ago. I am hoping to learn a lot from this forum and share my successes and failures along the way.

Perhaps the first question that I would like to ask is this: If there is something that you wish you had known when you started this hobby, what would it be?

Thanks guys, I look forward to learning and growing with the help of the members on MASA.

Regards

Rob

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

How to measure SALINITY and how to read a hydrometer.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!!

Rushing is bad. Plan filtration around what livestock you want and draw up a list of what livestock you want before adding anything.

Nemos Janitor likes this.
  5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Going to elaborate here a little. This simple parameter can cause so many fatalities and is the most overlooked.

Amongst the first few bits of kit a LFS sell to any newbie is a hydrometer to test salt levels and a bag of salt. The advice given is to keep the hydrometer in the green.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My advice is to understand how to read a simple hydrometer and what part temperature plays. If you don't understand that simple instrument then your salinity will never stabilize.

So understand the first basic water parameter and how to measure and maintain, then move on to the other parameters.

Rob13 likes this.
  6. Hails

Hails

That Mandarins need to be in hooded, escape-proof tanks.

7. Dexter

Dexter

Rather use aroganite instead of crushed coral as substrate

sniper likes this.
  8. Rob13

Rob13 Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks for the replies!

@459b I have no intention of rushing! Have learnt the hard way that research and patience definitely pays off... Want to start slowly and get used to water parameters and the die off from LR before I consider adding and livestock.

@nemosJanitor could you refer me somewhere that would explain this relationship (between temperature and salinity)? I know that the temperature being constant is far more important when it comes to marine aquariums. Which brings me to ask, are chillers essential when starting out? Or is this a piece of equipment you can save up for at a later stage?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

What size tank are you planning.
    Rather buy the chiller later. See if you are battling to keep the temp down first.

10. Rob13

I am not 100% sure just yet... I can get a pretty good deal on a 500L tank (including sump) and apparently bigger is usually better as far as water chemistry goes but it has also been advised to me that I should try a small cube first and see how that goes?

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Rob the explanation is tedious to re type. I will point you in a direction that explains the salinity to SG (specific gravity) and how to measure.

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you can, go around to 2 or 3 guys that have setups. Chat to them and see how they had done things. You can learn a lot by just listening to them, and see what works for them. But then keep in mind, each tank is different and how we maintain it is also slightly different.

The 3 most important questions to ask yourself.
    What fish do you want?
    What corals do you want?
    Which filtration option will you go for?

These 3 questions will impact a lot of options. From sump design to light options.

You are welcome to come around, just PM me.

Nemos Janitor and tekkengal like this.
  14. Rob13

Thanks for these! I will probably start reading them now and just make sure that my boss doesn't walk past :lol:

15. Rob13

@RiaanP I am just waiting to reach 5 posts and then I will PM you (I need 5 to send PMs)... Thanks for the offer, I would love to come and take a look...

Recent Posts