Hi guys

Discussion in 'New Members' started by geoffrey, 10 Mar 2008.

1. geoffrey

geoffrey

Hey fellow reefers. :thumbup:

I'm new to the site s i thought i'd say hi. thank God i found this site!

ok just a quickie on what tank i have... its a 240L atman tank with an internal filter (with bio-balls) and an external canister. thats bout it. got 2 damsels and a fire shrimp. rest of the fish died.:( hence the reason i found this site.

really love the hobby, had to look after the tank for a friend and now i practically own it! its taken over my life! :lol:

Anyways would like to hear from you guys. have so many questions about my tank and how to get it up and running a bit better again.

Peace

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi Geoffrey, welcome to masa.

You will need to give us as much info as you can for us to get you on the right road.
    How long has the tank been running?
    what equipment do you have?
    do you have live rock?
    do you use R/O water to mix the salt?
    do you test anything like Nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, SG, Ph etc?
    also tell us your maintenance routine, i.e. how much water do you change and how often?
    Do you top up with r/o

Sorry if this seems more like a police interrogation, but for us to help you we need to know what you have:)

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome geoffrey, you have come to the best site this side of the equator.

Loads of guru's to help you out.

My suggestion is you should try and invest in a protein skimmer and sump with DSB (deep sand bed) these components have saved my heart and my livestock's life a couple of times.

Now that that you have join MASA, you are going to enjoy this hobbie even more.

:thumbup1: We would love pics :thumbup1:

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to MASA!you at the right spot for advice.very helpfull crew we got here

6. lIghty

lIghty

welcome Geoffrey, like the guys have said, the more info the better, things will only get better from here, MASA is a good group of friends .

7. moz

moz

Geoffrey, welcome. This is defiantly the right place to come to for help, a lot of knowledgeable people who offer good advice to people quite new to the hobby, I'm one the the newbies. Now to repeat what Warr7207 said, where the pics?

8. geoffrey

geoffrey Thread Starter

heres everything i know

Ok guys. my tank is roughly 240 litres. i think 230 ( much difference?)

its a rectangular tank and has 2 lights in it. a normal white one and a flourescent one. got very little knowledge on lights for aquariums. the tank has an external canister filter and an internal filter(1344l/h) with some sponge and bio balls.

I have no idea if i have a DSB or not. if i stick my ruler into the tank i get between 4 and 4.5 cm. I dont have live rock ( if green algae grows on the rock does that count as live?;) )

firstly, i got the tank at the begining of last year, the guy who had it moved to AUS for the year, he gave it to me not looking so good. i'd say it was a couple of years old by then. had 2 damsels in it at the time. was rife with green algae.

the filter media in the canister had a couple of layers of sponge some peble looking things, and an odd looking sand bag? no carbon and no ceramics! and god knows when he last cleaned the filter media etc.

oh when i got the tank at the time, i had no idea of what a marine tank was about. I had a few guppies in a little tank when i was a kid but thats that. Anyway, the fish looked happy, so i went to the pet shop asked the guy there about what fish i can add to my tank. So i went and bought over a peroid of a year; 2 clowns (nemo looking guys) and another clown ( big one with yellow and black stripes) and a fire shrimp and another damsel. so in total 6 living fish in my tank.

They were all looking good and happy. at this time i had done some sort of research but not enough obviously. I cleaned the filter media once in this time ( with fresh water):whistling: I KNOW! Anyway. I left for the Sates last year beginging of december for 3 months, asked my maid to feed the fish every 2-3 days. only a little. but i think she over fed them and things went pear shaped (cant blame her though, she knew nothing either) had 2 fish left and the prawn. others all died :( my girlfriend tried to save the tank but she couldn't do much.

so i got back, immediately started doing some mamoth research. learnt all bout the whole nitrogen cycle and so on. bought a nitrate and nitrite tester. nitrites were good. almost nil. nitrates however were off the scale of the test chart! did two 20% water changes, cleaned the sand and everything. and checked a week later. to no avail:arghh: and the salt cost quite a bit ( im a student by the way)

I went to the pet shop, this is now about a month ago, and bought the whole range of Organic Aqua, some activated carbon, some filter cotton, and Purigen ultimate filtration stuff. Only if i could go back in time!

now im sitting here, with my nitrates still off the scale and half of the Organic aqua stuff i paid my arm and leg for, a test kit and a siphon pipe. Im also sitting with 8kg of salt, which im really keen on doing another water change, but i need to find the source of these nitrates! im thinking bio balls?

So now the question is. how do i get this baby back on track again? I feel like a bad father who has neglected his kids! I really dont want to put these fish under any more stress, but i suppose im gonna have too!

Sorry bout the whole life story, but i guess you guys will be able to help more if you know the tanks story etc.

really hope u guys can get me kick started in the right direction. sadly i dont have a camera at the moment to take pics with but as soon as i can get them ill send a few. its not that pretty though!

9. geoffrey

geoffrey Thread Starter

R/O water

Oh and i dont use R/O water. tested the tap water and it seems to be quite low on the nitrates. so i figure thats ok?

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, Geoffrey!

Good luck with your tank.

OK - this is what you should aim for, regarding filtration:
    - add some more substrate (sugar-fine) - either playsand from Reggie's or Toys R Us, or alternatively the more expensive aragonite type (finely crushed coral sand) - that you have at least a sand depth of 12 to 15cm
    - remove the bio-balls, and any other media that you currently have in the in-tank filter - add, activated carbon, and possibly something for removing phosphates (ie. SeaChem PhosGuard, or similar)
    - see if you can get a skimmer (even if you only get a WeiPro skimmer (el-cheapo) at least it would be better than nothing, alternatively, get something like a ReefTek skimmer or Reef-Octopus)

Once you have done this, you should also do at least a 50% water change...

Then, after waiting for at least about 3 weeks or so, you should be able to add fish again....

Another tip - try and get the LFS where you buy your fish from, to keep the fish for you for this 3 week period - pay a deposit or something..... IF the fish survives this 3 week period in the LFS tanks, then the chances are very close to 100% that they will survive in your tank.

11. dogshow446

dogshow446

welcome to MASA Geoffrey

12. jacquesb

Another thing - the tap water would only feed the nuisance (green) algae that you are talking about - it SHOULD not kill the fish. It is not only nitrates that you have to worry about in the tap water, it is also phosphates, etc....

13. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Hi Geoffrey,

And Welcome to MASA!

Not that much of a difference.

Are the lights built in? Could you please post photos of your lights and filtration. It's always difficult to make a call if you can't visualise something. The lights you mention are more than sufficient for a FOWLR (Fish Only with Live Rock) setup.

Ok, so no, you don't have a DSB. DSB's are normally 10cm + deep.

Photos would help make this a lot easier. Having live rock in a marine setup is very important as it provides the primary filtration for an aquarium. All other filtration is secondary.

Typically those things aren't used in marine aquariums. Trapping detritus cause nitrate production. The best thing you can do for the setup is add two things: more live rock (depending on how much you have currently) and a protein skimmer. If you have those two things the need for any other mechanical filtration is limited.

Tap water will add tons of phosphate to your setup which is the main fuel for algae.

viper357 likes this.
  14. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

this tank will be easy to change but first and formost you must get your fish out of there, then do 20% water changes with NSW every week if your areas water is fine or use RO water. Next is getting a little bit of live rock and a skimmer and some sugar fine substrate. after about six weeks you can add the fish back i recon this will fix your problem

hope this helps and maybe some people near you can help you

15. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

That's reminds me Ocean. Geoffrey, if you can, visit a fellow hobbyist who has a sump and skimmer etc. You will learn a lot from seeing it in action!

16. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Geoffrey, welcome to MASA.
    It sounds like you have a fresh water set up with marines in it, nitrates and algae will remain a problem in a system like this. The best is to start off in our Masapedia, there is a great article about starting a marine tank as well as plenty other interesting info.

17. geoffrey

geoffrey Thread Starter

ok so i've uploaded a picture of this old skimmer thats come out of the woodwork. dunno if it will work just check it out. it seems really old school but the principle is the same. what should the bubble flow rate be into the skim basket?

18. jacquesb

Hi Geoffrey - no pic yet .... Click on the "Go advanced" button below the "Quick reply" area, and then at the bottom right of the new window, you will see "Quick upload" - use this to upload the pic...

19. geoffrey

geoffrey Thread Starter

should be up now. had to resize them :)[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Mar 2008
  20. Brucemg

Brucemg

Oops nearly missed this one

[​IMG]

21. lIghty

lIghty

me too Bruce, just wondering how many of us have been down this road, most if not all

Recent Posts