hi guys

Discussion in 'New Members' started by WAYNE HEATHCOTE, 10 Jun 2009.

1. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE CHOPPY

hi guys im so glad i came across this site i had no idea there were so many aquarists in sa let me start by telling u about myself im a restaurant manger in plettenberg bay and have worked here for 2 yrs the restaurant i work for is very upmarket and when the owner was building the place he decided to have a marine aquarium built as a focal point he proceeded to have a 450lt tank built and started with 3 blue damsels and then added a picasso trigger ,longfin bannerfish and a emperor angel when i started thare the tank was about a year old at first i just admired the fish but after realising that each had their own personality i decided to start reading up on the different species we had the state of the tank started bothering me as it had a red slime algae attack and looked more like a cesspool then a marine tank the tank is situated next to a long sushi table and after hearing guests comment on how bad the tank looked i decided to start taking over the tank ive been looking after them for about a year now and their overall health and the quality of water has improved dramatically i really cant believe they survived for so long and so after a year of surfing the internet for info i am glad to have come across ur site because looking after this tank is both rewarding and frustrating at the same time the most frustrating aspect is that when the tank was built the owner was told that his tank would be almost maintenance free and it would not cost him alot of cash to run ha ha getting my boss to pay for items that are needed to make this tank as beuatiful as he first intended is difficult so over the past few months i have spent at least a few thousnd of my own measly salary to ensure that these fish are healthy and happy in their small little world on the upside i have had people comment on how big the coachman is some say they have not seen one as big even in the wild he is approx 25cm or more my trigger is the coolist and cheekiest fish he has such an amazing personality and is my fav my emperor is very grceful but really is not as easy to care for as the others so i will be posting photos soon and i need all the help i can get im sure u can see by my message that i am totally hooked what a great hobby its all about keeping the fish as happy as possible to the extnt that im become a average manager when i get to work the first thing i do is check the fish and feed them and through the coursr of the evening i must look at the tank at least a 100 times im off to feed my babies now and hope to learn alot from u guys in the future cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Wayne welcome to Masa

4. Tony

Tony

Welcome. Do you still have the red slime AKA cyanobacteria in the tank?

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA.
    Please supply us with pics, water parameters, water changing regime etc... lets see what we can do to help you out :)

6. Boendoe

Boendoe

:welcometomasa2:

7. seank

seank

Welcome, must be the longest sentence I have ever read... Lol

8. Boendoe

Boendoe

:lol:

9. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Welcome to MASA Wayne.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm out of breath.

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

[​IMG]
    welcometomasa

[​IMG]

12. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

A warm Welcome! So nice of you to keep the fishies going with your own money!! They all deserve to live healthy lifes!!

Ooo and another thing! Please can you next time put some spacing in between your sentances!! Got lost a couble of times!!:razz:

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

:welcometomasa2:

Hope u post some pics of the tank soon!! :thumbup:

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Wayne! You have someone very close to you too - not that Plett is such a huge place ;)
    Here's a member onsite here, called Lindsay Pollard - I believe that he runs a charter business (for whale watching, sea trips, SCUBA diving, etc) our in your valley!

Congratulations for being drawn into the world of keeping marines! It's an AWESOME hobby!
    And, like other life forms, it is a real honor to be able to look after such beautiful creatures, as marine fish!

Please don't worry to ask as many questions as possible - as it is only THEN that you will really start to learn!

Also - please take note that taking care of marine animals, takes a HUGE amount of patience.

Another thing - we LOVE PICTURES! As you can see by the other posts! ;)

This is the only real way we can share with you, and also perhaps give you some decent advice.

Please post for us what testing kits you have - what filtration you have on the tank?
    How often do you do water changes?
    What do you use for topup water, when the water evaporates?

Do you have a hydrometer/refractometer to test the tank's water's salinity?
    Do you have the following test kits?:
    - ammonia
    - nitrite
    - nitrate
    - pH

Do you have a thermometer in the tank?

15. RUAN

RUAN

a warm welcome

masahello

16. Prodigy

Prodigy

Welcome to MASA enjoy ur stay

17. crispin

crispin

welcome wayne, great to hear that you have taken over that tank and got it onto a stable footing again :)

well done.

welcome to masa and happy postings :)

18. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE Thread Starter CHOPPY

wow thanks guys for a very cool welcome. i have posted a few pics and hope u can help,and this time im spacing my letters ha ha.... the red slime algae has been eradicated and was the reason for getting involved in the tank ,and unfortunately we lost the 3 damsels about 7mnths ago due to eskom. i just barely saved the others as i found them all lying on the bottom,discoloured and gasping for breath. i think the guy u mentioned has helped with the tank at some stage but im currently being helped by robin island. At the moment we are looking at getting a cleaner wrasse or shrimp but from what i have read,the trigger will just munch the shrimp and the wrasse will die in a few months???? please would u guys tell me your opinion and maybe some alternatives. I've also been told that i would overstock the tank if i added more fish due to the size of the fish?? thanks again:wave2:

19. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Wayne i see no pics

20. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

Recent Posts