Hi guys.I'm new

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm looking into buying a buyo to 550 nano tank next month and was wondering if anyone knows of a well priced supplier in JHB?

welcome mervyn check out our sponsors but my advice is buy the biggest tank you can afford lots almost 95% of people who get into the hobby get bigger tanks

ok, I guess now would be a good to to tell you all where I'm coming from so you can help me get where I want to go. I've not owned a tank in almost 5 years but the bug has bitten me again. I built my own 1.5x60x60 tank a few years ago and successfully bred discus before packing it all up and moving to jhb. Now, I want to go marine but it's a big step so I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

Hi there. I'm looking into buying a buyo to 550 nano tank next month and was wondering if anyone knows of a well priced supplier in JHB?

Hi And welcome. its pays to shop around. i got my TL550 1600 cheaper than the first place i looked.

I'll PM the details to you.

great stuff mervyn always great to be a DIY in this hobby, 1st question u gota ask yourself is what would you like your tank to look like and how much do you have to spend then we can help you from there or rather the pros here will assist

welcome to masa:) hope you have a fun facsinating and enjoyable conversion into marines:)

if you are good at building your own tanks, why not put another 1.5 or 1.8 m together and build one yourself:) far more satisfying than buying a tank, and we have some really good tank builders on here whom I am sure would advise you if u need help:)

welcome to masa:) hope you have a fun facsinating and enjoyable conversion into marines:)

if you are good at building your own tanks, why not put another 1.5 or 1.8 m together and build one yourself:) far more satisfying than buying a tank, and we have some really good tank builders on here whom I am sure would advise you if u need help:)

Good advice, welcome to MASA Mervyn, the tank or that size is probably easier to start off with Nano tanks are good but there isn't much room for error.

thanks to all for the welcome and advice

hi guys.

Thanks to all of you who responded. Here I thought I was signing up to a dead quiet site only to find it's alive and well!!!!!

Nice to see that us south Africans are involved in something like this.good to be part of the gang!!!!

WelcomeMervyn, to the most obsessive hobby around. I agree. Building will allow you to first investigate and then ask all the questions.

Keep us posted... either way

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Mervyn! Very glad that you found us! Thanks for joining MASA!

OK - here's my advice:-
- Even though the basics are very similar - get ready for a HUGE learning curve! ;)
BUT - don't be scared! Just remember that you will need a HUGE amount of patience to set up your marine tank CORRECTLY...... There are many mistakes made by many of us in the past..... And we all DEARLY had to pay the price of our mistakes in the past.

We want you to ask as MANY questions as it takes for you to become a successful reefer!

Please have a look around MASA. Please read through as many of the other "New Members" threads as you can....

Have a look at our "Member's setups and systems" threads.... Identify something that you would like to achieve.... and let us help you achieve it....

It is GOOD to set your mind on a specific goal..... not just on starting marines....
Think about what you WANT to achieve.....

Also - take your time - many specials come along on our Classified's section. Perhaps you get something REALLY worth your while, rather in purchasing something that you might find not adequate, requiring you to spend even MORE money on something else slightly more adequate....

We on MASA are here for the good of the hobby - and are ALL conservationists at heart. So, we only have the life stock that you might end up buying, and your success as a reefer, on our radars..... There's no financial gain for us giving you advice. So, please take all advice given, as advice given to you with your best interests in mind!

Also - please run ALL decisions you want to make, past us - we can then assist you in either confirming your decision, or suggesting alternatives!

Good luck on your journey into marines - remember - it's your OWN journey - with us here to assist you in making this journey a really successful one!

thanks so much for the advice and support. I can promise you this much, I will be asking many many Q's!!! I am certain that I can make fewer mistakes or have an easier exerience by asking Q's than not asking and just doing my own thing. So, thanks once again.

DO NOT buy the boyu! Just not great on lights!! Even after the upgrade its weak at best. I'd go for a custom one personally (get FAR cooler aquarium for the same price). It you'd like an all in one tank like that then go for a 24G JBJ Nano Cube...

Back
Top Bottom