hi guys im new to marine tanks

Discussion in 'New Members' started by xrayguy, 28 May 2012.

1. xrayguy

xrayguy

Hi
    I new to marine tanks. Started my build last year.
    Have a 4ft. Tank

3 foot sump
    Weipro skimmer
    Reef ova flow

Tank mates
    3 butterflies two of which are racoons n one treadfin
    Stripped tang. X 2
    Wrasse.
    Box fish
    2 bumble bee shrimp. One spiney blue lobster.
    Yellow belly and domino damsel
    Sash damsel.

Also have a voliton lion baby about 3 inches. Which I plan on swapping or selling.

So that my set up will put up pics

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi xrayguy.
    Glad you finally started an introductory thread! Now we can formally welcome you.

Welcome to MASA.
    I see you've been busy collecting for your tank...
    So do start sharing the pics.:thumbup:

4. Wes

Wes

:welcome6:

5. crispin

crispin

hey xrayguy, welcome to masa, nice to have you join:)

it sounds like you buildt the tank yourself, is that the case? If so well done on some DIY, there is so much DIY one can do with tanks and it realy helps keep the costs down.

From that stocking list you are obviously planning a Fish Only system which is cool. I am a little concerned though that a 4 foot tank with 5 big fish that need swimming space (the tangs and butterflies) and a couple of aggresive fish for their size (damsels) plus a few poisonous fish (box fish and lion fish) you are going to get over crowded and stressed fish pretty soon. Just a heads up, id suggest looking into the size systems those stripped tangs (not a common name i am familiar with, but seeing you are in drbs i think its a clown tang Acanthurus lineatus) are going to fight and will hammer each other. Just for intrest here is another site you can have a read up on the size of tank they need (250 gallon) for a single specimin Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Clown Tang.

it would be great to see a few pics if you care to share

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome! Now make with the pics ;)

7. xrayguy

xrayguy Thread Starter

@ crisp

tx for the heads up im thinking the same thing i got to many large fish the lion i just got this week end so everything just happened to fast so me slowing dwn now. looking for homes for the lion and stripped tang. if any one wanna swap let me know. also im short on live rock only have 10kg , so tank looking a bit bear. live rock is just to costly.
    tx again for the welcome guys will put up pics. i hav put sum up not sure how to link to this thread, pc slow....lol.

ok i just fig it out. also i put up a urine test kit bottle cost about 30 to 40 buck great for testing ph and salt. tip for the guys.

one can also get for nitrates will work fine in tank . just i couldnt get it from local dischem.

ok guys laters[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. xrayguy

xrayguy Thread Starter

crisp my lion a box are compatable eith butterflies, checked the site u suggested. tx great site. also the tang is not wat u suggested its looks like pic i just added. also non as convict tang.

[​IMG]

but the prob im having now is my domino doesnt seem to be eating. he swims the tank dont look stressed . but not eating as well as when i first put him in

9. xrayguy

xrayguy Thread Starter

o let me tell you guys about my build seeing as how ull missed it.
    tank 200 bucks from a friend who had a pet shop.
    tank stand built using metal tubing, dads a boiler maker.
    the hood and the stand is completed using wooden laminated flooring.
    8mm thick. doesnt absorb water works out cheap to use in build and the lenth of the board is 1,25m tank lenth 1.22m so worked out great with very little cutting. a few stainless steel srews later stand and hood was complete.

using octus reef ova flow system, didnt wanna dril tank although it wud be cheaper.
    lighting 2 by t8 blubs , but i think my lighing my not be good, may need more, what do you guys think ?

aragonite substrate. 10kg live rock 5kg barley rock.

problems i faced, well for one finding a cheap ovaflow. not possible found sum diy stuff but was to late. diy skimmers found a few dat work well den i found a weipro for 650 which is a gud price. works well.

the prob i facing now is . i need more live rock to create more hiding places and not sure if i need more light.
    i keep the blue light on thru the nyt it dat ok ?

Recent Posts