Hi from reEfA and advice on a big move

Discussion in 'New Members' started by reEfa, 14 Aug 2012.

1. reEfa

reEfa

Hi guys

Glad I have finally made a username here...
    Been trolling this forum for a little while over a year grabbing information as I go on. Can I say the peeps on here have extensive knowledge on this amazing hobby..

I currently have a 1.5x45x50 tank running for two years. It has a DSB filtration system with a reeftek ts1 skimmer. The reason I am moving tanks is that this one is a bit narrow for my liking and the sump and stand restricts me from upgrading as I need to..

Stock in tank

50 kg live rock
    Various corals
    Mushrooms
    Polyps
    Zoa's
    Zinnias
    Galaxy
    Kenya tree
    Henetian purple tipped (40cm)
    Daisy's

Fish

Sailfin tang (15cm)
    Brown tang (10cm)
    Yellow spotted fox face (15cm)
    Flame angel (6cm)
    2 tone blenny (10cm)
    Blue mandarine (4cm)
    Ocellaris clown (6cm)
    Various inverts (boxer shrimp, urchins Ect...)

I have bought

1.2x65x50 tank (from Dorry Pets)
    Nice big sump with DSB
    Nw150 reef octopus skimmer
    40 kg aragonite new substrate for display tank

I have both these systems running.

New one has been running for 5 days with water temp correct and salinity..
    Aragonite is in and sand for the DSB.
    Skimmer is also running well and skimming gunk from the water..

Now to my qeustions

1. Will my tank have a full cycle or just a mini one... Concerning as my rocks have various corals on. Would be a shame to lose them. If they did die would it cause for a longer cycle as they would die off in diff times.

2. Which fish should I introduce first. My ocelaris Is getting sold as I have a pair of snowflakes waiting for me. Do not wanna put them in first as they are $$$$$$. I also think my other fish are to big and could add to much bio load

3. Would it be okay to seed a cup of sand from my old DSB to my new one.. Without affecting my current display. DSB is not to big on main tank

4. With me taking rock out my main display to my new tank will it affect the main display..

5. How do I go about my nennie as i have read it needs to be in a 6 month mature tank.. Would be a shame to sell as how big he is..

I could run into more questions that I will need help with but for now I would really appreciate some advice and tips even on things I have not mentioned...

Will post pics when I'm home
    Once again hello to all u fellow reefers

Thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

Hope to see some pics soon

If understand correctly you want to only run the one tank and that's the new one right?

4. Ayoob

Ayoob

If so, taking 50% old water from old tank add it to new tank and have temperature the same would be first priority, it will then be as if you have performed a major water change.
    Then moving all live stock over will be OK. And no it wont be a cycle occurring if a vial of prodibio will be dosed to boost bacteria. Goodluck

reEfa likes this.
  5. reEfa

reEfa Thread Starter

Yeah practically transplant the old tank to the new tank... Just a lil unsure on how to do it. Got told cause the rock is cured already it would be a 4 day cycle and my corals would with stand That. I would keep the fish in the old tank with the nennie and inverts. Then slowly introduce the fish and inverts to the new tank once the water para are stable.. The nennie I'm still not sure how to tackle it.. As the tank will not be mature enough..

6. reEfa

reEfa Thread Starter

Are u saying I can move everything at once?? And use something like stability... It won't matter there is a new DSB and new substrate

7. reEfa

reEfa Thread Starter

Anyone got any more advice on this?? Would really appreciate it..

8. crispin

crispin

hi reefa welcome to masa (or should I say welcome out the shadows of masa:))

congrats on the upgrade, that extra width on your tank will make it far easier to work in and better for the inhabitants too.

swapping the two tanks over wont be difficult at all:) With you having so much matured LR from the old tank, the new one shouldnt suffer a cycle so long as you work carefully and dilligently:)

Having two tanks running like you have now, means that you can take ALL the pressure off and do things slowly and as you want, its when people close one tank down and sudenly have to dump things into a new tank that things get messy, so the way you are doing it is great:)

what I would do:
    set up both tanks with skimmer, heater and lights running.
    Check the SG and temps and have them the same. (things like ph and calcium etc will ALWAYS vary between tanks and thats ok.) You can take 50% water from the old tank over to the new tank and thats basically like giving it a big watre change, but personally i dont like doing that as you often get little reward for using old tank water and lots of troubles. The primary bacterial source we use in tanks is in the LR and the sand and NOT free swimming in the water, so you often just take over higher nitrates and spores of things like cyano etc rather than that much of benifit. But the choice is yours.

set your sand bed up, and add a good portion of the sand bed from the old tank (8 or so cups, and try dig down a little to get a cross section of things within the sand bed) and I would add the sand slowly about a week apart.
    After a week I would sellect LR from the old tank towards the lower section of your reef and place that within the new tank. That means you should get some pieces that are not used to being in light and have little coral growth on them but still need to be at the bottom of the new tabks reef. Aquascape with them like you want for the final scape and play around now before you have corals in.

test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, its unlikley you will get much of a reading on the first two and nitrate shouldnt realy spike but its a good indication. You can also look out for environmental indicators like cyano bacteria or different algaes or diatoms etc, which are a good indication if water isnt ready for LR yet.

After two weeks, perhaps three if you can afford to wait, id add over most of the LR and set the aquascape and perhaps some of the things like hermit crabs and snails (although they could probbaly go over earlier too)

A few days later if everything is looking fine Id move over the more docile and smaller fish and any newer fish you might have (although quarenteening then is definatley worth your while before you add them) and then start moving over the other fish.

For the nennie i would suggest moving him later rather than early and when you do take LR from the old tank dont disturb the nennie (is it a bubble tip?) where its foot is attached. when you want to move the nennie just pick the rock he has his foor attached under and place that carefully in the new tank where you want the nennie viewable, but so that the foot is well protected. then he shouldnt move around after the move.....but thats only a shouldnt, no guarentees!

i would also suggest trying to move fish over slowly and place them in the tank after lights off, so have the lights of the new tank going off and hour or so B4 the old tank. with the fish going into a dark tank they tend to settle more and find a place to hold out for the night before waking up in a new tank.

hope all that helps:)

reEfa likes this.
  9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I done the same last weekend

New tank no new live rock. Just lift and shift old rock from existing tank to new. No cycle will happen.

all the fish at once.

Yes, should do this a couple of days before doing the move.

Do you still want the old tank?

It is not the glass or water that must be matured. It is the biological filtration in your live rock and DSB.

Can you connect the 2 systems up as one? How far are they apart?

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Most important, what time frame do you have? A month? A weekend.

As both mine and Crispin's answers are correct, depending on the time you have.

reEfa likes this.
  11. Damen

Damen

I am about to finish my new tank in my new house. i then gotta transport my old tank with stock over to the new house and then the LR and fish etc into the new tank. this is going to be stressful but will follow to see how this all goes with your move for some tips

12. reEfa

reEfa Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!! Really appreciate it.

First of all i have all the time in the world... i will just maintain the old tank till the whole transfer is done, bit of a shlep but what can i do.

In regards with my nennie i think i am just gonna sell it and when my tank is ready i will get a new one for my snowflake clowns.

I would love to QT my fish but where??? i have a nano but tangs ect will be stressed in it. Also with the slow approach would i throw all the fish in as Riaan said or wait a week between each fish. I always thought doing all of them and adding amgaurd is better as they all stressed a bit and they all dont have territory, but do correct me if im wrong.

In regards with taking 50% old water from the tank. I would prefer to just use the new water in the tank already, leave all the other gunk behind from the old tank.

With u saying take sand from my sand bed, is this my display tank sand and not my DSB? Also i should not do it all at once more spread out?Or all at once? I already have my aragonite all in my new tank.So i would place the old sand in areas that i would dig out.

I will not be keeping the old tank, once the tank is empty i will clean it and put it up for sale, the reason i asked will tank be okay with me taking all the live rock out is due to the fishes still being in there..

Any other tips would be great.. Im really nervous in doing this and losing everything due to something i over looked or a careless mistake on my side

But if it is all done right im gonna be the happiest man ever :yeahdude: as my old tanks return is so noisy cause of some of the LR in the return chamber..

13. crispin

crispin

see my comments in blue above:)

14. reEfa

reEfa Thread Starter

My nennie is a Heteractis crispa purple tipped, the only thing that is making me wanna sell it, is it is massive and worried it will grow even bigger quicker in a better system. Since i added my new lights to my system it has got about 5cm in diameter bigger, and this was 2 months ago.

Having this tank as a QT has run through my mind it is just so big and the maintenance on it will eventually kill me.

I do have quiet a deep sand bed in my display in some areas about 8 cm.

This was a second hand tank i took over and thought i would upgrade it, it turned out i would pay the same as a new tank to upgrade it so decided to just keep the LS, besides payed 7k for all of it and the LS is worth about that much.

In regards to pests i only have asterina star's they blue and all ova the LR was thinking of tweesing them out but not sure if they do any harm

Will try upload pics once i figure out this image uploader

15. crispin

crispin

well that crispa sounds magnificent, there are difefrent options you can look at (a sharp blade for example) that will reduce its size. But fragging a nennie isnt for the faint hearted so chat to the forum if you do go that route ok!

that sand bed will be full of goodness. add it slowly over to the new tank, its worth its weight just for the bacteria and micro organisms in it.

if you have a mass of asteria stars (im letting mine breed) id look at adding a pair of herlequin shrimps (google them if you arent sure what I am talking about) as it sounds like you have a sustainable population for them.

i would also suggest letting the LR be in the new tank a little while so that your pod population can expand without predation from your mandarin. If the mandarin is taking prepared food i would let the natural population grow out and expand so he has a good food supply when you put him in there again:)

16. reEfa

reEfa Thread Starter

Magnificent meaning the bread or just the adjective hahaha.

Yeah they look really cool.. Are those shrimps available in SA... You stay first world remember that Lols.

Well will start with the dsb and display tank sand and the seeding... Will keep u up to date thanks so much crispen

Yeah I have my nano running so will put the Mandy in there with the flame angel till I have added all the fish I want as I find that my flame angel is very Agro to new fish .. Worried he is gonna harass my new snowflake clowns as they are still babies

17. Damen

Damen

[​IMG]

as you can see they munch on star fish, heart breaking if you love stars. they are available in SA. not hard to get

18. crispin

crispin

i love star fish, i realy do.....i just love harlequins a little more:)

19. Damen

Damen

shame star fish have personalities too

20. reEfa

reEfa Thread Starter

Hahaha they are very interesting indeed will have a look into them... There they eatin a huge starfish... Mine are like half a centimeter in diameter.. They gonna have to eat loads to get full...

21. Damen

Damen

they will be happy with any size star. they mean!

Recent Posts