Hi From Canada

Was thinking of using ozone or hydrogen peroxide to treat my tap water. Does anyone have any info on the amount I need to use, approx, to treat chlorine and chloramine?

Thinking of using an ATS, algae Turf scrubbers. Anyone using these over in SA? Here's one that I want to copy:

or this one:

I have 2 x 55G I am setting up and might use an ATS on them.

Last edited:
Was thinking of using ozone or hydrogen peroxide to treat my tap water. Does anyone have any info on the amount I need to use, approx, to treat chlorine and chloramine?
why not just use a RO unit like everybody else?

Algae scrubbers was the next big thing back in 2008 and 2009. I had one. They do work. By the way, this design got replaced by the algae upflow scrubber. Much simpler in design and a lot cheaper.

Reasons as to why I'm not using an algae scrubber anymore, and most likely a lot of other reefers.
  • They are messy to clean. Dripping water and upsetting the non-reefer.
  • Must be maintained weekly to be effective. And I got lazy.
  • I need the simplest filtration system. Tanksitter must only provide food. Nothing else.
Luckily I do travel a lot less today compared to 2 and 3 years ago. So yes, my circumstances did change. But when I set up my current tank I needed filtration that fitted my job schedule and lifestyle.

Then on the other side, shops making a living out of your money spent to buy all those media for various reactors. They make nothing out of a DIY solution that gives the same benefit. Like NP Pelets for example. So they will hardly ever promote algae scrubbers.

I use to use rodi and a tds meter, when I get my 2 other tanks set up, I will invest in one, I am just trying to see if I can get buy with out them, which I have for the last 10 out of my 12 years of having tanks. I just hate that the tds always runs around 0 ppm at first then shortly after runs at 10 ppm or more, then I always have to replace the filters etc. I am trying to do things on the cheap, which just ain't possible with salt water.

Why don't your membranes last? Do you flush the RO unit at times? Or is the local water TDS reading so high that the membranes do not last long?

welcome!

pods dont come here as they are illegal to import last i checked, but they are plentiful in our shores

Why don't your membranes last? Do you flush the RO unit at times? Or is the local water TDS reading so high that the membranes do not last long?

The expensive small tube membrane lasts,, but the carbon, di and sponge type filter's do not. there are winter here which I think plays with the pressure going into the rodi unit. I will buy another unit and check with you guys if it's the right one.

here is an image of my half nuclear green and ha;f purple death paly. I call it "nuclear death"

Yes, it was easy. All I did was let the two different paly colonies grow next to each other, then I sliced the two different palys into each other, then I waited for the graft to pop up. From there, I separated the graft from the colonies and glued it onto my frag plug.

I suspect in the wild, it would happen by one colony of a rock falling onto another colony. So I reproduced this affect. kind of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom