hi folks

Discussion in 'New Members' started by old1, 24 Jul 2010.

1. old1

old1

im new at this site.i have kept fish 60 yrs reefs 17.looking for fish that primarally east micro alges,but refrain from eating macro alges.any suggestions?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hello old1 ... masahello ... I think you should change your name to "not-so-old1" .... Check out our sponsors ... we have Nemo's Janitor ... Getting way past over the hill .... None the less ... great to have to on board with us ... Always nice to have the "old and wise" giving us advice .... Please tell us more about your setup ..... Size, Lights , Equipment ... Livestock ..... Oh and we are picture hogs ... we love pics ...... Once again welcome and enjoy your stay here with us .....

4. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!:thumbup:

5. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome...

6. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

welcometomasa

I don't know of many fish that won't eat both micro and macro but maybe some of the more seasoned members can help with that. I do have Sally Lightfoot (Percnon gibbesi) crabs that don't bother with the macro but do work on the micro.

I've heard that the Lawnmower Blenny is exceptionally good at keeping micro algae in check; reported to eat algae the nobody else wants. The Lawnmower Blenny is considered reef safe, but it can nibble on stony corals and clam mantles. If kept in an aquarium that is too small or crowded, the Lawnmower Blenny can become aggressive and start chasing other fish. I've never kept one myself so maybe others who have can weigh in on this.

Good luck.

7. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

8. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Welcome to masa, i bow to your fish experience.
    But fish that eat micro algae? do you mean off the rockwork or free floating algae? if its a critter to clean the rockwork, try a blenny or a turbo snail or an urchin even :)
    But free floating algaes are munchies for filter feeders

I have a bi colour blenny named benny and he has the most character of all my fishies

Last edited: 25 Jul 2010
  9. crispin

crispin

greetings old1, nice to have you join:)

within your 17 years of reef keeping I am sure youve seen a fair share of fish and finding the one that easts just what you wnat it too and nothing else is a tough quest. Also you dont mention anything about whoich other fish you have already and thus its diofficult to suggest a fish that might fit within the tank mates you have already, compatability being a ,major question in salt water fish.

generally i personally believe that the best way to controll micro algaes is through its nutrient controll (starve the barstewards!) and there are lots of methods to do that, but again that wull depend more on the set up you have and what your ultimate goal is.

i have a few fish in the back of my mind which will eat micro algae but none i can think of that ONLY eat micro algae and leave macro's alone. A bristletooth tang for simple example does a great job of eating micros, as does a lawn mower blennie but their compatability with other fish has to be checked as does the fact that they will also eat macros.

welcome and happy posting

10. old1

old1 Thread Starter

alot of questions,i,ll try to answer them i ran a natural reef for 17 yrs with halon lights,deep bed,try to be clever and select fish that only eat what the tank produces.had a yellow tailed and three stiped damsel.green manderin and stiped pipefish.never put in a sewage pump(wet dry)skimmer,or chambers.that tank was 75 gallons ran it 17 yrs then i got sick,11 months in recouperation.and when i got home the tank was dry and dead.now i want to set up a barrior reef tank,two limestone walls(cream colored)black tahian sand.havent set it up yet,you see im in a wheelchair so everything goes slow.will start with two sailfin mollies.then thinking of adding hawiian lemonpeel angel red mandarin,still doing research.don,t want heavy expensive lighting,i hope my mico alges grow to feed fish and copapods.these in turn feed tanks inhabitance.in 17 yrs never fed the fish or did a water check.just let mother nature run the tank.thy for the welcome to a foreigner

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Really? You never fed the fish anything at all?
    Slow is a good thing in this hobby, there is never a need to rush anything. Have you got anyone at home with you to help?

p.s. Welcome to the forum. :) How's the weather in NYC?

12. old1

old1 Thread Starter

to feed.

viper,i try to be clever and select fish that feed on what the tank produces.basically micro alges and copapods.had a yellow tailed damsil,three striped damsel,red dragon,banded pipefish.so there was no need to feed.new tank will have fish i will feed,because it will become a vivarium.i want to try sea pansys,gt barnical colonys,feather starfish etc they need food .im always trying to push the limits.sara says she buys from some american com.freind i hope you understand our slang names for fish.on another note the weather in nyc is hot,its summer up here.

Recent Posts