Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Members' started by monquer, 10 Jan 2011.

1. monquer

monquer

Just thought i'd introduce myself(actually it was suggested by the forum). My nickname is my actual name, yeah i know it's unusual but it has never been to me.
    I've been doing freshwater for five years and have always wanted to do marines but never did because of the cost. I recently(seven months ago) purchased a tank, sump, skimmer and return pump from a friend and started my marine hobby.

I am very excited to be on the forum because of the information and tips given and just to speak to other aquarists with more experience than me.

I have posted some pics of my tank, though it never looked that way when I got it, there was no cabinet whatsoever. I built the cabinet around the steel frame.

Quick Question: I am in two about cleaning my back glass, should I or shouldn't I do it. What do you think. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have been considering starting up a second tank more and more, as a place to which I can move my fish if something goes wrong with my main display or as a QT for new fish. Is this standard practice.

Anyway, I suppose I can't ask all my question in one post so i'll post again later

Thanks to everyone for a great online community.

Monquer

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello Monquer,

Welcome to this hobby.
    Yes a quarantine tank is a good thing. I got one, and I lost new fish in there after a month due to whitespot. So if I did not had a QT setup, my display would have had whitespot. So yes, good practise.

Back glass, I just leave mine. On a previous tank when the green algae becaome to much, then I scrapped them off. And I removed it. (build in scrubber - not really)

Enjoy it.

4. SHAYNE

SHAYNE

welcometomasa

glad you finally made the first step to marine keeping. good luck with the tank:yeahdude:

5. Dane

Dane

Congrats and welcome,

Cleaning the back glass is a personal choice on what looks good. Eventually corraline will grow and create a bright purple/pink backdrop. If you like this colour then leave it. I personally like a clean back plate with a black background.

And yes, a quarantine tank is a fantastic idea.

d

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

:welcometomasa1:

7. Q89

Q89

:welcome6:

Welcome to the fantastic world of marines

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

9. Tobes