Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Ala Jardine, 10 Oct 2010.

1. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

Hi everyone

I am not new to marines, but just joined this site.

Am looking to purchase a single red and black clown fish, A. melanopus, approximately 2 - 3 cm long.

I am stuck in Oudtshoorn, so will need it sent up / down.

Many thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Be adviced that the A. melanopus is part of the tomatoe complex, which means he will become very aggressive once he is big. So your tank shouldn´t be smaller than 350 litre.
    I haven´t seen this species at all in SA so far.

BTW, welcome to Masa. How about posting some pictures and specs of your system?

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined :)

5. brandonb

brandonb

ditto, was looking for A. melanopus some time back and could find a true one ... most LFS have them a cinnamon clowns but they dont look like melanopus at all.

oh and WELCOME

6. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine Thread Starter

Hi LuckyFish and Tobes

I unfortunately don't have a camera, and not much of a system at the moment. Had a 2m burst on me a few months back and have replaced it with a Boyu nano.

Found a very young pair of red and black clowns in a Oudtshoorn dealer. The female was in pretty bad shape, but I thought that I could save her. Kept her going for a month, but lost the fight. Am not keen to sit with just a lone male, hence my request. They will be in less than 40 l initially, but will move into bigger accommodation at a point.

I reared the larvae of both ocellaris and percula about 12 years ago. Shops were not interested in buying, because as the one chap said to me, he could bring in wild caught at R7.00 and I was asking R30.00 per six month old. Go figure. Makes a person sick, so closed down the breeding.

Was keen to try with my young red and black in a years time, but now only have one.

Recent Posts