Hi all

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Bossi, 8 Jul 2009.

1. Bossi

Bossi

Hi all

My name is Bossi and im a fish addict, anything to do with fish im addicted!

:yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude:

I have not yet set up a marine tank, but plan on doing soon, hopefully and thast why i stopped here to do my home wotk first.

Hopefully one day i can be of help to someone and share my experiences with others!

Great that here is a SA site of guys like us.

Laters, i need to read some forum articles!

Bossi

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome Bossi.

Read,read and read some more. Ask loads of questions. You can save yourself time and money if you use the experience of the reefers on this board, rather than going through it yourself.

good luck

4. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

:welcometomasa2:to masa. i hope that you enjoy your stay with us. ask as many questions as you like, dont feel shy. we have a lot of gurus on this site. enjoy. happy posting

5. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA Bossi

6. mnd123

mnd123

Spoken like a man infected with the marine hunger :)

Welcome!

7. Boendoe

Boendoe

:welcometomasa2:

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Bossi! Great to have you on-board!

As Warr said - reading, and gaining the knowledge BEFOREHAND saves you a LOT of heartache, hard-earned cash, and many poor fish and corals' lives.... :)

Knowledge is key to keeping marines critters alive and happy!

The MOST important thing in keeping marines, is having a HUGE HUGE AMOUNT OF PATIENCE!
    This will ensure that everything that NEEDS to happen, happens at it's own time.
    You cannot rush nature. You cannot rush the sea, nor can you rush corals reefs.
    So - it's really not worth, trying to rush in setting up a marine tank. You just end up, giving up (if one tend to rush things).

So - PLEASE have a look around, start identifying exactly WHAT you want to keep. Identify a goal you want to achieve - and then let us assist you in obtaining/achieving that goal.

Please ask as many questions, as it takes for you to become the best reefkeeper that you can be.

Also - PLEASE DON'T purchase ANYTHING from a local fish shop/pet shop (LFS) WITHOUT consulting with us first, and getting the opinions on this board. There are a LARGE number of reefkeepers with a huge amount of experience on this forum. Many of our members have "been there - done that" w.r.t making mistakes, and believing LFS advice.

Finally - have a read through the links in the bottom of this post (in my signature). The one about starting a marine tank should give you a HUGE amount of information.

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Bossi :)

10. crispin

crispin

hello there Bossi:)

really great to have you join MASA before you start up a marine tank. There is so much to learn before you even add salt to water that its really advisable to read like JB and Warr have said. Collectivley MASA has a really strong "brains trust" of experineced and helpful reefers. Together we have probably done all the mistakes many times over and thus can help you avoide them.

Some systems in FW (fresh water, bath water) tanks are somewhat different and not applicable. Of note here is the use of Bioballs (no good in marine) and ceramic noodles, and the way we acclimatize things into tanks. They are really common mistakes for noobs just converting over from bath water.

Give us an idea of your planning, the space available for the tank, the size you are looking at, the sump, the hood, the height of the stand etc etc. MASA will help you through all of it and really make the journey facinating and far less painful on your soul and wallet.

Note also that MASA has no finacial incentive to sell you information, so we tell you the truth on whats best for your tank. NOTE thats not what you will always want to hear and some are rather forthright and harsh in telling you not to have anenome's in new tanks etc etc. But listen to MASA way before you listen to an LFS (local fish store) they will sell you crap and inapplicable LS knowing you will be baclk to replace it once thye toilet flushing is over.

welcome to masa and happy postings :)

11. werner5

werner5

masahello

12. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Bossi Welcome to MASA

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Bossi, hope you enjoy your stay here with us. Please read and learn as much as you can, don't be shy to bomb us with questions - we are here to help you make the right choices and give you the right advice to enjoy reefkeeping - as this is a fantastic hobby, very addictive!

Keep us updated :wave2:

PS, read below the hand... :p

14. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome Bossi

remember to keep us updated on your progress....

REMEMBER WE LIKE PICS

15. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

16. inflames

inflames

welcometomasa Great to have you on board!

Recent Posts