Hi all!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by geldenhuysrr, 30 Jun 2009.

1. geldenhuysrr

geldenhuysrr

Hi I'm new to MASA!

Great site ! I've learned alot from the forums!!

Rudi

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

:welcome7:

Glad to hear you are enjoying the site Rudi. Remember patience is the name of the game.

Dont be scared to ask questions...no matter how stupid the might seem.

Tell us about your setup

4. inflames

inflames

welcometomasa:1:

5. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome welcome

6. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

:welcometomasa1:to masa. enjoy your stay with us. what ideas do you have so far regading marine set up? fish, or reef set up?

7. geldenhuysrr

geldenhuysrr Thread Starter

I have a Buyo LT450 all standard as I bought it, been up before but I moved more than a year ago and took it down and moved all the fish, liverock and corals to my uncles tank. But Seeing the tank standing around I just had to get it stated again!!
    Thus its up and running with water and some live rock! just gonna take it slow this time and have it cycle for a few weeks!

I,ve heard that you can add some Mollies to tank to help the cycle but not sure, any ideas on this ?
    DO any one know if I can upgrade the lights on the tl450 and still keep the original hood??

8. crispin

crispin

hey rudi, welcome to masa:)

great to have you and here and even better to hear that an empty tank is wet again :)

how much LR have you got cycling at the mo? are you testing parameters, if so how they going? :)

ask all you can on any question that you think you need info on and MASA will do all it can to help you. A pic also goes a long way to help us help you :)

mollies. I wont get too wound up about the ethics of this (its a very nasty thing to do to the fish with little benifitt to the tank and min or or no benifitt to the reefer). Simply dont do it, its cruel and unrequired, let the LR cycle, let the bacteria pouplations build up and let the micro critters get a head start before you add LS to it. There are lots of ways to cycle a tank, but simply letting the LR cure and the bacterial populatiosn grow is the best.

(going to go hyperventilate in a bag now!)

ps rudi, do a search on masa and see some of the discussions around this topic. they get heated and fun :)

9. FransSny

FransSny

Will you be going into politics soon crispin.....so diplomatic :lol:

10. crispin

crispin

its his first post, i didnt want to scare the poor fella :)

and i'll get caned by a mod soon! hehe :)

11. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

:wave2: good to have you here Geldenhuysrr tell us about your fish tank plans.

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Spot on:biggrin:

13. crispin

crispin

you see frans, i swear those mod are watching my every post.....id never call mek "big brother" but mike and thallion certainly remind me of george orwel!!

14. FransSny

FransSny

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

lol @ crispin :lol:

Welcome to MASA Geldenhuysrr, hope you enjoy it here with us. Please read the link in my signature for some great info on how to start your first marine tank. It also tells you about how to cycle a tank - and mollies are NOT part of it ;)

Some guys throw a dead shrimp you buy at the grocery stores in to decompose and multiply the backteria or leave it to the live rock.

Please be patient in this hobby - only bad things happen quickly. You'll lose money and an innocent creature may suffer or die when they are added too soon.

Ammonia is toxic to fish and invertebrates, that's why it's so important to cycle for 6 - 8 weeks, test the water and if the water stays stable for a week, then add livestock slowly to give the backteria a chance to catch up to the new bio-load.

Also, double check what the petshop tells you with us as well, we have no financial gain in giving you advice, but the petshop might sell you wrong stuff to make a quick buck.
    Check out our sponsors forum - some very nice reputable petshops there ;)

Keep us updated :wave2:

16. RUAN

RUAN

welcome to Masa

masahello

17. geldenhuysrr

geldenhuysrr Thread Starter

the tanks have cycling for 5 weeks now, and it it looks quite good, I will test the water to night and post the outcome, will also try and upload some pics, I must say that I cheated a bit with the water, my uncle did a routine water change on his big tank so I used about 30 liters of that water and filled the rest of the 58 liter tank with RO salt mixed water from the LFS, he also gave me back about 2kg of the live rock a gave him a year back. But as the sand we out of the water for a long while i had to rinse that and decided to do a full cycle on the tank to make sure alls fine. I still have to get more Live rock as the 2kg in there looks a a bit lonely!

the tanks still got the Bio rings and ceramic stuff, as well as the all the other filter material, do I need to remove all or some of it? Sorry bout all the Questions...

18. Apollo

Apollo

Rudi,

The bio balls and ceramic rings need to go.
    Leave your skimmer compartment and heater compartment as they are and put some carbon and phos removal compound in the 4th filter compartment.

The black sponge can be used , but just remember to clean it regularly ( at least twice a week).
    IMO , I have found filter floss to be a better substitute for the black sponge.

BTW: I have replied to your thread on lighting upgrade under "Nano tank advice"

Good luck:)

19. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA

20. crispin

crispin

nice to hear you are going slow and deliberate:) best way by far with marines. Oh and tell your uncle to come join us too :)

but definatley 2kg at the bottom of the tank is going to look very lonely and hardly provide a reef at all, have to up that a bit :)

I agree with appollo on removing the rings and bio balls, in small tanks have a good flow thru that sump with the skimmer doing all it can and have the LR in DT doing most of the biological stuff for you.

but sounds like u are off to a good start:)

21. werner5

werner5

Welcome to masa the best marine forum out there

:welcometomasa1:

Recent Posts