Hi all.... info needed on Red Sea 250

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Floyd, 10 Dec 2012.

1. Floyd

Floyd

Hi all MASA members....

My name is Floyd and still new to the "marine world".

I bought a Red sea 250 (matured tank) from another reefer yesterday.

I would like to know the following:

1. Pro's and Con's of the Red Sea 250?

2. I currently have 1 Clown fish, 1 sailfin Tang, 1 Convict Tang, 1 soft coral (green) and approx 8kg of liverock in the tank (hope I have the names correct). I would like to know what other fish and or other livestock can I add to this system taking into consideration the lighting, etc.?

Like I said, Im still new to this and looking forward to this challenge, but also all your valuable inputs.

:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome!

well i dont own one, but the petshop where i go has 2 and they run like a charm...
    only issue in polokwane will be hot summers days, so might get some heat, but one can add a chiller later on or fans to blow across the tank surface

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Welcome to MASA! :)
    Biggest con is that the tank gets really hot with the hood so a chiller is a must have.

I'm sure you noticed that there is not enough room in the cabinet for a sump but I think that the current filtration mechanisms work quite well.

The pros are that it is a really neat tank: you get a cabinet (instead of the bare structure look), curved glass tank, one power cord out of the tank sans the chiller plug (instead of the spagetti tangles that happen with lots of cords), good lighting (can keep sps and clams with the current setup), decent pumps and a really good skimmer (when dialed in correctly). And you get a timer for lighting to boot.

Many people don't like the hood but I think it helps protect the fish from carpet surfing ;)

2. Not too sure what else can be kept with those fish (not sure if the tank is big enough for them either) but will wait for the experts to offer help in this area :)

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave: Have fun with the 250, owned one for about three years. Great looking and beautiful tanks and very user friendly for a start up. HEAT, is the major issue, and as @dallasg said, invest in a good chiller. I also thought the stock skimmer wasn't the best, but it did it's job. I am one for doing mods, so i added two sumps as I went along, better skimmer, etc. But, you won't need all the mds I did, keep to your stocking rules and the tank will be a pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Floyd

Floyd Thread Starter

Thanks for all responses....

What chiller should I get and where?

Price range for chillers?

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Do a search under live search for "chillers for sale" I am sure you'll find a few there, not sure which model you will need though. They can be pricey and I think one for the rsm might set you back around R3000-3500

Recent Posts