Hi All!Im new

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Muqhtar, 21 Aug 2010.

1. Muqhtar

Muqhtar

Hi Guys,

I recently installed a 1000L marine Tank and have just completed my cycling process.

I was given a ater test kit which does Ph,Alc,No2,No3 and CL tests. Problem is that there are no instructions on the box.

Anyone know what the normal procedures are for these tests? Because on the bottles there are just numbers next to a picture of a drop...eg on a bottle it will say the following No2 A 3Drops then another bottle No2 B 2 drops etc

Can anyone help?:slayer:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi Mughter .... welcome to MASA .... sorry for giving you a hard time in Tiger eyes thread but there certain rules .... you're forgiven coz you're a newbie here .... As I was saying you may private message anyone with names and contact details of any shop just that we "punt" our sponsors as without them paying their dividends ... we wont have this great forum .....

4. vatso

vatso

Welcome Mughtar sorry for the ban request - I just thought it was a shop punt as it was like your first post.

any case there is tons of info here & we not that bad a bunch of peeps.

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Very true ..... but if you want to see how bad we can get here ... just try and not take care of your little piece of ocean and all hell will break loose .... Remember we all here to help one another with no financial gain ...... just to ensure the livestock live fulfilling and happy lives while in your care .... Remember another thing they didn't choose to be your pet .... so enough of the hard ball .... tell us more about your setup ... oh how about some pics ..... What brand of test kit you asking about?

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA. Normally you add the drops from A then B then c and so on. i assume the number are the number of drops you need to add. As far as the results of the tests fo you will need the colour chart to compare and get the results. Sorry i cant help more.

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, we are good, but not THAT good - give us a bit of help and at least tell us the name (make) of the test kits... perhaps THEN someone can advise you on how to use it...

Hennie

8. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

9. Muqhtar

Muqhtar Thread Starter

Hey guys.

Thanks for the welcome.I think we might have got off on the wrong foot. I am new to this and I didn't see anyone mentioning that store so I thaught ide share it with you all as I had been there recently.
    Anyway all is good.

Any advise to me as a beginner?

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello, and yes, 2 pieces of advice.

Start reading.... (I'm still learning and I'm 2 years into this hoby)

Leave your wallet at home when you visit a LFS. Go home, sleep about it, and then go back and spend your cash.

11. Muqhtar

Muqhtar Thread Starter

Hey riaan.thanks for that!I do get carried away at the stores...I just baught 2 diamond gobies yesterday and one of them went balistic when I put him in the tank
    He was swimming trying to jump out the tank.eventually he settled and made himself a burrow and pops his head out once in a while
    The other goby just dug himself a burrow and hasn't been seen since.
    Should I be worried?

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How long did you drip them?
    Might be that the water temp was the same, but the water paameters totally different.

If both are still there 2 days later, then you are ok, or the fish are ok.

13. Dane

Dane

Welcome! And good luck! Some good advice so far!

My 2c, and to me this is not a tip but a responsibility. Research anything you are planning on getting absolutely thoroughly! So that you know all its requirements and that it will "work" in your tank. Never impulse buy! All it takes is a quick google on a few reputable sites, and it will save you a lot of wasted money and headaches!

Don't forget to enjoy the hobby! Its easy to get carried away with what you want to do with the tank, instead of appreciating the beauty that it is as it stands!

And lastly, reach out to your local reefers and reefclubs. Get together over meetings and learn how to frag your corals (if you are getting corals) and swap with each other. Very rewarding watch little tiny frags growing into grand colonies in your tank. And its the environmentally responsible thing to do. Support "home-grown" aquaculture! :)

happy reefing bud! :)

14. Muqhtar

Muqhtar Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise dane!will def b looking to put some coral in about a month.

Riaan I dripped them for about 20mins in 4 minute intervals. The wild goby has finally come out of his
    Burrow. The other one has yet to be seen. I hope he didn't dig himself a grave.

If he is dead then what should I do?will his decomposing body cause any harm to the other fish?

Currently I have a yellow and black stripe damzel, a blue and yellow tail damzel,2 clowns and now these 2 diamond gobies

I just hope the other gobie appears by tomorrow...I have checkd up on it and ppl say that sometimes they take 2 to 3 days to
    Come out in new surroundings

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

No need to be in a hurry. The longer you take the better.And when bag is full, just throw away half of the water and continue.I use about two hours for fish and double that for inverts. Watch the rugby game while the foxface was dripping. See how the ref cheated us.

16. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

17. crispin

crispin

welcome mughtar nice to ahve you oin:)

thats a lovely sounding tank at 1000l, whats the chances of a pic to see what you are talking about?

i am a little concerned however that you say that you have finished the cycle yet you dont know how to test, so the two dont realy add up in my head as the only way to really know if the cycle is complete is with regular and reliable test kits. I personally think that test hits should be given a higher priotity, especially in the beginning, than buying a fish and i highly reccomend you get a set of kits, or figure out how to use those ones you have as soon as possible. Ive used a number of rands but i realy like the Elos range for simplicity of use and accuracy, but there are a number available on the market.

Id also suggest reading up alot on each fish you add, those two diamind gobies youve just added are sand feeders if i am not mistaken? if so they require a fairly fine well matured sand bed to feed in before being added and that normally takes 4-6 months to develop.

good luck with the tank i am sure things will go easier if you slow down and getting a little more knowledge on what you are doing:)

18. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!;)

19. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome to MASA, see the usual suspects gave you stick ;)

read read read, and patience, thats the key in this hobby.

20. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

We are all suspects here :razz:

21. Dane

Dane

Oh, one other point of advice is to add your livestock slowly, only one or two at a time. With a "rest" of a few days or a week (or longer) in between to allow your bacteria etc to catch up with the new nutrient load.

Recent Posts