HGA vs Prodibio Bioclean

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by AllanEcc, 8 Aug 2011.

1. AllanEcc

AllanEcc

I have a bad outbreak of HA, both green and red. Has anyone had success with Bioclean Salt?

Phosphates = 0
    Nitrate = 2
    Ca = 420
    Kh = 7.8

I use Salivert test kits. I am happy with my water. Can only think the phospahe is in the LR. I have removed all loose LR and place in a 20L drum and closed the lid.

I cant continue scrubbing the sides of the DT and pulling HGA off the rock. Fish are stressing.

I'm wondering if Prodibio resolves HGA?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

Prodibio will help, not instantly, but after a period of dosing, but it wont address the underlying problem of where the phosphate's etc are coming from.....

Try cycle the rock youve removed if you think thats the issue.....also what and how often are you feeding?

4. AllanEcc

AllanEcc Thread Starter

We feed twice a day. In the morning its half a block of frozen brine or mysis. In the afternoons its a pinch of flakes & pellets. We have 8 small nemos/chromis, 1 x goby (6 spot), 2 x hermits, 2 x banded shrimp & 2 x peppermints (which we never see).

5. archiecrain

archiecrain

I dont know how big your sytem is, but that doesnt seem to much....I feed more in a 100l with fewer fish.

But I dont just chuck a frozen block into the tank, I defrost it with RO or salt water then drain the water out as this can lead to phosphate problems (so Im lead to believe anyways)

I reckon you should look into cycling the rock more.....

6. AllanEcc

AllanEcc Thread Starter

I have about 350L. We defrost in a 10ml cup of tank water, then pour back into the tank. I think the Phosphates must be in the rock. I intend leaving the rock in a bucket of salt water for a week, in the dark, to get rid of GHA. I dont know how to get the Phosphates out of the rock. Was hoping Prodibio would do it.

7. Tony

Tony

Bio clean is a combination biodigest which is the bacteria and bioptim which is a food for the bacteria. Before I say buy the kit you need to establish how big your system is as you need just one vial of biodigest per 1000 litres and one vial of bioptim per 200 litres. In other words if you have a big system you will need a lot more bioptim than biodigest. Alternatively you can you the biodigest with vodka which is a cheaper route and the one I use. If you want to go the vodka route then I can help you along.

8. Tony

Tony

BTW, the prodibio will sort your system out but it will take a month or so depending on how bad your nutrients are. No need to remove the rocks and soak them seperately

9. AllanEcc

AllanEcc Thread Starter

Thanks Tony. I have about 350L. Bioclean doesn't seem too expensive. R500 for 30 vials. 2 vials every 2 weeks, so it will last 7 months. As long as it does the job. I thought of vodka, but its hard work adding it daily. I'm going away shortly and the house sitter wont cope.

10. rakabos

rakabos

Is it better to add biodigest and bioptim together, or one week bioptim and the other week biodigest?

11. Tony

Tony

Cool then go for it. Just remember to turn your skimmer off overnight before adding the biodigest and bioptim. Dose the products together as one feeds the bacteria. Your skimmer will go mad for an hour or so after turning it back on so keep that in mind.

12. Keanan

Keanan 2time

What i found best(and this is thanks to @Tony:thumbup:) is to dose the bacteria at night leaving the skimmer off and giving the bacteria time to settle/ populate, then dosing the carbon source the next day/morning.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. AllanEcc

AllanEcc Thread Starter

If I go Biodigest and vodka. Do I have to add vodka daily? Can it go into auto top-up?

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

you add the vodka daily and the biodigest is every 14days. Remember you need a decent skimmer. I had a GHA problem, then I just upped the vodka per day and in about 2-4weeks my tank is clean.

Note: that biodigest is dosed 1 vial per 200L and NOT 1000L.. The prodibio site is misleading. Its 1 vial per 200L for the standard range which are tanks of 120-1000L. With the pro range its 1 vial per 1000L

15. rakabos

rakabos

Does it say Pro on the box? I just see biodigest, and not pro...

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

does it say 120 --> 1000L ?

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

18. rakabos

rakabos

Yes it does, i guess that makes it the non-pro version. So i would add 3 viles every 2 weeks then on a 700L system

19. Tony

Tony

Tremayn, I'm going to have to disagree here bud. Reading the box of mine it says for tanks up 120 litres to use the nano range, for tanks up to 1000 litres, 1 vial every 15 days and for tanks of 1000-2000l 2 vials every fifteen days. For 2000 litres plus use the pro range.

All you're going to do is waste the product.

20. Tony

Tony

Martin, it's not necessary to do this. Read the box and it says for 120l - 1000l, 1 vial every two weeks

21. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

agreed with tony

Recent Posts