Hey

Reaction score
Hey guys

Just got my first tank at Christmas, but honestly have no idea what I really want to do with it. It's a 65L Curved Glass tank. Have it running with a salt water setup (because thats what came with it... lol...) and it's gone through the whole cycle. Also has between 4 and 5kg's live rock in (just added recently)

So basically, what else could I add to the tank? I know that's a very open ended question, but my only 2 requirements would be colourful (gf likes that) and something hardy because I'm terrible at remembering stuff!

Anyone know a good shop in the Fourways or surrounding areas? Places I have been seem to know even less than I do...

Thanks in advance for the help

masahello

Some pics would help us help you:thumbup:

OK being a Nano your maintenance schedule will be more rigirous than a larger aquarium, however water changes will be small (+/- 10L or so )

Although some fish are hardier and can stand higher levels of nitrate its by no means a reason to subject them to this. Also higher nitrates(due to poor maintenance) will prevent you from adding some lovely colourful corals.

That said, fear not the maintenance need not be tedious and there are ways to make it easier:thumbup:

OK, you have that drip tray on top, take those ceramic rings etc out, use carbon and phosphate media in there, you can put filter floss in there if you happy to change it twice a week.

I assume you have water in. Has it cycled at all.

Any test kits?
What live rock?

Oh and we still need pics:lol:

Ok, you just reminded me of a few other things I been wondering.

How full can these tanks be filled? The guy at the pet store said I could fill it right up to the silver lip on the top of the glass, but this seems to put those outlets from the filter underwater??

I read on another forum that bubbles are bad for a salt water setup. The pump I have has an outlet where you can regulate how many bubbles pass into the water. Should I turn this off?

Will post pics as soon as I can.

Ok, you just reminded me of a few other things I been wondering.

How full can these tanks be filled? The guy at the pet store said I could fill it right up to the silver lip on the top of the glass, but this seems to put those outlets from the filter underwater??

I read on another forum that bubbles are bad for a salt water setup. The pump I have has an outlet where you can regulate how many bubbles pass into the water. Should I turn this off?

Will post pics as soon as I can.

To the lip is fine water should still flow through it

Turn the bubbles of yes.

Keep forgetting to reply to the questions you asking... lol... been on leave from work, brain not functioning

I have the Sera Aqua Test Box

Morning all

Thanks for all the replies. Been reading through the other New Member threads and picked up quite a few tips.

Going to pick up a Carbon Filter today and remove the ceramic rings. Any specific make I should look for? Also, are there any good online stores for this type of stuff? I detest shopping... lol... even have my groceries delivered.

Welcome to MASA Sparky! We will wait for some output on the test kits before we can really comment.

Could you please post the results of the following tests?
- pH
- water temp
- ammonia
- nitrites
- nitrates
- phosphate

This will assist us in telling you what the next step/s would be...

Thanks.

Ok, readings as follows

kH - 7
pH - 8
NH4/NH3 - 1
NO2 - 2
NO3 - 25
PO4 - 0.1 (Was an almost invisible blue)
Cu - 0
Ca - 400

Water temp I'm a little confused about. The Hydrometer Thermometer says its 30 but the heater is set to 26. Tried a little thing, if I set the heater to 22, thermometer then says 27. Going to pick up a 2nd one today to see what's up.

Hi Sparky - many thanks for this.

Comments/problems:
kH - fine for now - can be increased somewhat later on when you want to start keeping corals
pH - same as kH
NH3/4 - BIG PROBLEM! This will have to become 0 before you add ANYTHING else to your tank - either the figure is REALLY 1, or you have to get another test-kit. Have your water tested by your LFS as well?
NO2 - 2 is still very high, and this can kill any other life-stock you might want to add to the tank - best to wait at least another week or so that this figure drops to 0 (also, have your LFS test your water for you)
NO3 - for a "Fish Only" tank this i OK - a little bit high, BUT OK - once again - perhaps wait a while before adding any life-stock to the tank... perhaps another week or so, then post the test outputs again...
Calcium - 100% (could be a BIT higher for keeping corals, but for now - perfect)
Cu - the Copper reading should ALWAYS be 0 - this can kill marine fish and invertebrates.... (fish not as sensitive to copper - but invertebrates, DEFINITELY)

30 degrees is a LITTLE bit warm. Even though the thermostat on the heater is set to 26, the ambient temp can increase the water temp to higher readings.... perhaps look into getting a small fan to blow on your tank's sump, to cool the water off? (or perhaps a tiny fan on the tank itself?)

I think that sera test kit package is for fresh water (dont know how that will effect the readings though)

Hi Sparky,

Temperature - I think your heater is just out on it's settings. The fact that the temperature drops to 27C when you set it to 22C tells me the environment is not playing a role here as the temperature would not drop at all if the heater was adjusted to run at a lower temperature.. Not a problem but just set it according to the thermometer reading (maybe get a more accurate/reliable thermometer)

2) You cycle is not complete. Since you only added the liverock "recently" this is where you cycle really begins. The time spent running with only water and substrate does not count as cycling. Continue montoring the ammonia and nitrite. When these hit zero ppm then do a largish water change (20-30%) and you can then start stocking slowly. Ideally you would like your nitrates to be as a low as possible (0ppm preferably, but at least less than 10 ppm) if you wanting to keep corals.

Clinton

Cool cool. Will keep an eye on all the readings, and on my way now to get a thermometer. Will post more when things change.

Back
Top Bottom