hey MASA!

Reaction score
hey MASA!

Im brett, new to marine. Iv had a tropical tank for a few years which iv sold and bought a jebo 362 for my marine tank. Its been sitting for a week now while iv been emptying out my wallet for everything else i need.:thumbup: :lol: im very excited to get it up and going and to start the cycle stage. i know MASA will help me out because the forums iv read so far are brilliant and so informative. glad to be a member:thumbup:

Hi Brett welcome to MASA

Well what can I say, ask all the question you like we will be more than happy to help :thumbup:

What have you got in mind for filtration for that tank?

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Brett! Could you perhaps please post a picture of this Jebo tank that you bought?

Does this tank have a sump?

What are you intending in keeping? Corals? Fish only? Corals and fish?
Each of these categories have other requirements...

Please let us know, that we can assist in getting you to become the best reefkeeper that you can be?

Many thanks - and enjoy the journey into the world of marines!

OK Looks like that Jebo has the "in lid" tray type filter.

I would take the current media (Ceramic rings etc) out and replace it with a good Granular activated carbon, and some filter floss you would have to clean at least every second day. Some will say Phos Media but I prefer the floss in this case.

There are some possibilities in terms of skimmer from what I recall including a Reef Octo hang on, maybe some of the other members could elaborate more.

You will also need flow pumps for the tank, 2 x Seio M620's or even the Boyu equivalents should be fine depending on your occupants. But honestly with T8 lighting you would be able to keep hardy softies at best.

Looking forward to some more info:thumbup:

Hey Brett, welcome, good to see more Durban folk signing up.

Welcome to masa, hope you learn a lot and enjoy your stay. Please read and ask as much as you can - you'll only benefit from it ;) . Glad you found us before your cycle starts :) :lookhere:

Hey... welcome!! I'm setting up a new tank myself! My dear friend ScottV from WWM set up a great tank for me. Now I just need some salt and water... hehe.

Maybe we can be cycle buddies! woo hoo! What do you plan to keep? I want to keep an angler fish myself...

ok i got alot of questions from alot of people:wave2::), im gonna answer them all one shot.

first of all il post a pic asap, tomoro probably.

i bought the tank second hand, for a bargain i must add:thumbup: and he used it as a marine tank. it is a 100l tank, making it a nano if not mistaken? i want to put fish and coral in it. it does not have a sump but it came with the following:

1. resun nano protein skimmer. Truly Fish :: Protein Skimmers :: Resun SK-05 Nano Protein Skimmer
2. resun internal power filter. http://www.resun.com.cn/En/ProductInfo.aspx?ProID=425&ProClass=116
3. 2 x T8 lights, one 10000k and the other in the blue spektrum. dont think they are HPO.

im not sure if those items will do for a fish and coral tank?

i noticed now that kanga mentioned it. that the ceramic rings have been chaned with activated carbon and filter floss. and yes it is a "in lid" filtration system.:whistling:

sofar iv been building a cabinet/stand for it and buying all the stuff i need.
i have bought all the testers that i need according to my LFS everything came in one box except ph tester. so bought that. i am looking to buy all digital testers from ebay. i am a frequent buyer on ebay and there some really nice testers on there which i havnt found here in SA yet. is it worth buying these digital testers?

how much live rock must i add to my tank? i read that with enough live rock you dont need any other filtration. is this true and how much is enough?

any tips and the cycle stage and starting up i would appreciate. i really want to do this right.

sihaya, a cycle buddy would be great:thumbup: lol

thanks all!!

ok i got alot of questions from alot of people:wave2::), im gonna answer them all one shot. Yip we are a nosy bunch :thumbup:

first of all il post a pic asap, tomoro probably.

i bought the tank second hand, for a bargain i must add:thumbup: and he used it as a marine tank. it is a 100l tank, making it a nano if not mistaken? i want to put fish and coral in it. it does not have a sump but it came with the following:

If you are building a cabinet, I would suggest making space for a sumo and drilling the tank and adding an overflow

1. resun nano protein skimmer. Truly Fish :: Protein Skimmers :: Resun SK-05 Nano Protein Skimmer
2. resun internal power filter. �ޱ����ĵ�
3. 2 x T8 lights, one 10000k and the other in the blue spektrum. dont think they are HPO.

Ok that filter is not really what you are looking for, you could take the canister part off and use it as a powerhead.

The skimmer I am sorry to say is a gimmick, not really a serious piece of kit:(

Those lights are fine for Fish Only, you would have to mod the lid to keep any corals.

im not sure if those items will do for a fish and coral tank?

i noticed now that kanga mentioned it. that the ceramic rings have been chaned with activated carbon and filter floss. and yes it is a "in lid" filtration system.:whistling:

Yip, but if you have a sump you might want to use that for lighting space

sofar iv been building a cabinet/stand for it and buying all the stuff i need.
i have bought all the testers that i need according to my LFS everything came in one box except ph tester. so bought that. i am looking to buy all digital testers from ebay. i am a frequent buyer on ebay and there some really nice testers on there which i havnt found here in SA yet. is it worth buying these digital testers?

What testers are you referring to? also what test kits (brand) did you buy?

how much live rock must i add to my tank? i read that with enough live rock you dont need any other filtration. is this true and how much is enough?

Life rock help with filtration, however your biggest "filtration" at this stage will be waterchanges to ensure a healthy system

any tips and the cycle stage and starting up i would appreciate. i really want to do this right.

Mama Nature does what she does:lol: Some guys do add a piece of prawn etc but it depends what rock, sand etc you start with
sihaya, a cycle buddy would be great:thumbup: lol

thanks all!!

Sorry that its not what you wanted to hear, but I sincerely hope it helps you avoid problems at a later stage:thumbup:

160949860fd653c87.jpg

thats a drawing of the cabnet and tank.

lol kange you right thats not really what i want to hear, but i suppose its for the best. i think for now i am gonna have to without the sump as my wood is cut:whistling: what filter/power head, skimmer and lighting do you recommend?
my hand skills are good and i have an engineering background. if my hood requires modding to fit 10 more lights, il do it:biggrin: so im open for any sugesstions. thanks.
il get you the makes and names of the test kits tomoro. now im off to bed.

cheers

Welcome Brett !

hey everyone. been away from my pc for a while. i finally got pics! gonna upload them soon.

i was talking to a guy at my LFS. we spoke for about an hour. he showed me all there tanks and what they consist of etc. all of them had a tetratec EX canister filter and that was about it, no sumps, nothing. and they were the most beautiful tanks iv seen. he was saying how good those canister filters are. my question is, are they really that good?

and another thing, they didnt have skimmers. he said they did frequent water changes, every week or so, so they dont need skimmers. can this work?

the tanks may look beautiful, but concerning nitrate levels, etc. i dont know.

Back
Top Bottom