hey i am new

Reaction score
hey i am new and i am new to saltwater i bought my first sw tank today it is 450 liters and has 4 fish in tomato clown regal tang and i am not sure what the other two are it came with fake rock and a small sump they are deliverying it next saterday i cant wait:)

dallasg

Reaction score
welcome to MASA!

congrats, its a great hobby.

already getting the tank with fish? was this an existing tank? a new tank can take weeks to cycle and be ready for livestock.

Reaction score
Welcome to MASA. You starting out in a great hobby.

I hope the tank you bought is a fully cycled tank. You cannot add fish to a brand new tank without letting it cycle first. Read up on these forums about the nitrogen cycle. Also read in the begginers discussions thread, see how the other guys have started out and get an idea on how to start. Then post your own tank thread and ask all the questions you need to there. There are lots of people on this forum to help out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to SARK. You starting out in a great hobby.

I hope the tank you bought is a fully cycled tank. You cannot add fish to a brand new tank without letting it cycle first. Read up on these forums about the nitrogen cycle. Also read in the begginers discussions thread, see how the other guys have started out and get an idea on how to start. Then post your own tank thread and ask all the questions you need to there. There are lots of people on this forum to help out.
I think you confused there dogstar. This is MASA. lol:lol:

dallasg

Reaction score

MASA Admin

Reaction score
Welcome to Marine Aquariums of South Africa. Enjoy your stay here...

Reaction score
yup it is cycled it has been running for a few months at the shop and i desided to buy it its a wonderful hobby
Nice one. No need to have to wait for it to cyle, but you missed half of the fun:)

If you got any more info about you tank please post i.e. lights you getting, skimmer type, if your sump has a dsb, what powerheads you getting etc etc.

Hope you gonna post lots of pics, we all love pics.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to Masa Werner. If you're not familiar with most of the do's and dont's on a marine setup I suggest you do a bit of reading on this site and ask if you don't understand something. Read all on RO water and evaporation top ups, water parameters and test kits, etc. We are all here to help and have no financial gain from it. Ask here before buying something from the LFS, could save you a lot of money! And remember, be patient, only bad things happen quickly in a marine tank

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Welcome

:welcometomasa1:

Joining this forum IMHO was the best choice in attempting this hobby. Beleive me both the forum and the hobby are extreemly addictive. Enjoy your reefing it becomes a way of life. The most important thing to remember is patience. You will here this very often. Other than that Read, Read, Read and ask lots of questions if something is still not clear therafter.:yeahdude:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA Werner, please read up as much as you can, taking on an established tank as a newcomer can be difficult, we are here to help, no question too daft:)

Reaction score
Welcome to MASA.

I feel it necessary to point out that no matter how long the tank has been run in the shop it will still cycle once it has been set up in your house. This cycle will depend on many things like:
1.) How much and quality of Live rock.
2.) Is there a sand bed that will be transferred as well.
3.) The length of the trip.
4.) How well the transfer takes place.

Don't be fooled into thinking this tank will not need to cycle.

Reaction score
WELCOME to MASA, and to this great hobby.

...yup it is cycled it has been running for a few months at the shop and i desided to buy it...
...it is 450 liters and has 4 fish in tomato clown regal tang and i am not sure what the other two are...
Could I suggest that you instruct the shop to keep the fish for at least another two weeks after your tank has been moved. Disturbing an existing setup can (probably will...) cause some die-off of the small critters living in it, and this could cause a mini-cycle to start again. You paid lots of money for those fish - why risk losing them (or just having them suffer unnecessary) if you don't have to?

it came with fake rock and a small sump
Fake rock ???

What else do you have in the tank to filter the water (e.g. deep live sand bed...) - fake rock is not anywhere as good a biological filter as live rock is, and without proper filtration (and a decent skimmer...) you are bound to run into problems in the future.

Hennie

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Werner! Great the you have found MASA, and joined us!

Please elaborate more on your tank's hardware? What lighting do you have? What in-tank water flow?
What skimmer?