Hey Hey!!!

Reaction score
Hallo everyone...

I've been reading your posts for a few months now and dreamed of someday finally upgrading to a marine tank, well, that day is almost upon me!!:yeahdude:

You see, being a student and paying rent etc. its been dificult, but you all know better than anyone how expensive marine tanks can be...

Anyway just wanted to say hi and ask for some advise.
I now have a 100l tank, a cascade internal filter and a hang on filter. I'm not shure wich one to use because the cascade has a steady flow but i'm worried that there may form salt creeps. the hang on filter has little to no flow but there is more room in the tank.

Also, i only have a limited budget per month so I was thinking of selling my tropical fishes and then getting some LR, saltwater and lighting to start with. I have one T8 light but figured that wont be sufficient.

Will i need a skimmer and a sump if i want to start with a Fish Only tank? i'd like to convert to a 250l reef tank in a few months.

Looking forward to being a part of MASA and hope I can be as helpfull as you all someday.

Mr.Mandarin:)

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. Please read through my signature, there is some helpful info there. I can't really comment on the filters you have as I don't know them so well and those type filters are usually for fresh water tanks if I'm not mistaken. I'm a sump with a deep sand bed fan - and I believe it's the best route to go.
I'm sure with a low bio-load you can get away with good live rock and a hang on skimmer on a fish only tank + with regular water changes you should be OK.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
6549a14b66dad05.jpg

Hallo everyone...

I've been reading your posts for a few months now and dreamed of someday finally upgrading to a marine tank, well, that day is almost upon me!!:yeahdude:
Damn nice feeling, well you are at the right place my good man

You see, being a student and paying rent etc. its been dificult, but you all know better than anyone how expensive marine tanks can be...
Oh you dont have to tell us :D:D But hey there are ways to do it on a budget

Anyway just wanted to say hi and ask for some advise.
I now have a 100l tank, a cascade internal filter and a hang on filter. I'm not shure wich one to use because the cascade has a steady flow but i'm worried that there may form salt creeps. the hang on filter has little to no flow but there is more room in the tank.
They aren't great for marine tanks sorry to say. However you can use it for carbon and P04 media at a later stage.

Also, i only have a limited budget per month so I was thinking of selling my tropical fishes and then getting some LR, saltwater and lighting to start with. I have one T8 light but figured that wont be sufficient.
No one T8 wont be sufficient, there are some nice basic 3xT5 units for not a hellish price that would do nice for a start on a 100L tank

Will i need a skimmer and a sump if i want to start with a Fish Only tank? i'd like to convert to a 250l reef tank in a few months.
Yes a skimmer would be great, not 100% essential but most guys here will suggest you do get one and I agree. However weekly 25% water changes will help you do it without.

Looking forward to being a part of MASA and hope I can be as helpfull as you all someday.
Well just by asking you have made a contribution, others who dont want to ask will read the replies and benefit from that, a good start I would say:thumbup:

Mr.Mandarin:)

dallasg

Reaction score
masahello
Posted via Mobile Device

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, Mr. Manderin! Great that you have found MASA! Awesome that you have joined us!

Please share some more of your tank's details with us? Also - please post some pics?!?!?!

Reaction score
Welcome to MASA!!

Reaction score
hey Mr mandarine, glad to have you join us. To be honest there is so much to learn and do with marines, you will benifit just simply being part of the forum:)

some guys have great tanks on a tight budget, i know Mike bushie and Lanzo have a minimal amount of cass to spend and they have some great tanks. There really is lots you can do.

A fish only system sounds awesum to me, but get good LR and as much as you can, especially as your mechanical filtration isnt great. you will need to up that in the future i think:)

Reaction score
hey again everyone!!! thanks so much for all the great info and support.

A fish only system sounds awesum to me, but get good LR and as much as you can, especially as your mechanical filtration isnt great. you will need to up that in the future i think:)
yeah, i was actually thinking of turning my 100l into a sump and then getting a 250l in 2-3months, but for now me and my girl will start with a few kg of LR

By the way, does anyone know where i can get good but not too expensive LR to start with, and also how do i know if its good LR or not?

Reaction score
By the way, does anyone know where i can get good but not too expensive LR to start with, and also how do i know if its good LR or not?
Me, if you don't mind the drive to JHB. I will be posting 100 Kg's in the net couple of days. cool rock :)

Reaction score
Hey guys, im getting my water, a few kg LR and lighting saterday:biggrin: but im not sure if i should buy water from my LFS or mix it myself?

Also.... ive been reading some more posts this week and now im all worried about GHA and aiptaisia... anything i can do to avoid/reduce it?

Randburg, I will post pics and pricing on Friday :)
Cool, will have a look thanks

Reaction score
Hey guys, im getting my water, a few kg LR and lighting saterday:biggrin: but im not sure if i should buy water from my LFS or mix it myself?

Also.... ive been reading some more posts this week and now im all worried about GHA and aiptaisia... anything i can do to avoid/reduce it?

Cool, will have a look thanks
If you're just setting up , you could get the water & salt mix from the LFS.
In the long run it pays to rather mix the salt water yourself. This is especially useful in the case of emergencies happening when the LFS is closed.

GHA & Aiptasia are all part of reefing. You may or may not get them.

Insofar GHA is concerned , there are a few things you can do to avoid getting an outbreak:

1. Ensure that you use RO water with a TDS of less than 5 ppm or lower. Use only this for all top-ups and waterchanges(with your salt mix of course).
2. Ensure you have sufficient flow in your tank to avoid dead spots where detritus can settle.
3. Be diligent with your weekly cleaning schedule (vacuum substrate , blow detritus off rocks etc.)
4. Run a good PO4 removing compound from the start . Note : the emphasis here is really on getting a quality product. Yes, it costs more but it will save you endless hassles in the long run.
5. When feeding ensure that you are not adding phosphates to the tank , wherever possible.
6. Pay close attention to the general health of your tank. If an inmate dies , remove them promptly to avoid them fouling up the water.
7. Do regular water changes and be diligent with this.

Insofar Aiptasia is concerned : The only way to avoid them is to inspect any LR or Coral frags you are adding to your tank. Chances are however that they will come as hitchikers on your LR.
Once again , swift action is required once you see them . Nuke them ASAP !

Hope I haven't left anything out.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure !