Hey Hey!!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Mr.Mandarin, 22 Feb 2009.

1. Mr.Mandarin

Mr.Mandarin

Hallo everyone...

I've been reading your posts for a few months now and dreamed of someday finally upgrading to a marine tank, well, that day is almost upon me!!:yeahdude:

You see, being a student and paying rent etc. its been dificult, but you all know better than anyone how expensive marine tanks can be...

Anyway just wanted to say hi and ask for some advise.
    I now have a 100l tank, a cascade internal filter and a hang on filter. I'm not shure wich one to use because the cascade has a steady flow but i'm worried that there may form salt creeps. the hang on filter has little to no flow but there is more room in the tank.

Also, i only have a limited budget per month so I was thinking of selling my tropical fishes and then getting some LR, saltwater and lighting to start with. I have one T8 light but figured that wont be sufficient.

Will i need a skimmer and a sump if i want to start with a Fish Only tank? i'd like to convert to a 250l reef tank in a few months.

Looking forward to being a part of MASA and hope I can be as helpfull as you all someday.

Mr.Mandarin:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. Please read through my signature, there is some helpful info there. I can't really comment on the filters you have as I don't know them so well and those type filters are usually for fresh water tanks if I'm not mistaken. I'm a sump with a deep sand bed fan - and I believe it's the best route to go.
    I'm sure with a low bio-load you can get away with good live rock and a hang on skimmer on a fish only tank + with regular water changes you should be OK.

4. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

[​IMG]

5. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

masahello
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA :)

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

[​IMG]

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, Mr. Manderin! Great that you have found MASA! Awesome that you have joined us!

Please share some more of your tank's details with us? Also - please post some pics?!?!?!

12. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

13. crispin

crispin

hey Mr mandarine, glad to have you join us. To be honest there is so much to learn and do with marines, you will benifit just simply being part of the forum:)

some guys have great tanks on a tight budget, i know Mike bushie and Lanzo have a minimal amount of cass to spend and they have some great tanks. There really is lots you can do.

A fish only system sounds awesum to me, but get good LR and as much as you can, especially as your mechanical filtration isnt great. you will need to up that in the future i think:)

14. Mr.Mandarin

Mr.Mandarin Thread Starter

hey again everyone!!! thanks so much for all the great info and support.

yeah, i was actually thinking of turning my 100l into a sump and then getting a 250l in 2-3months, but for now me and my girl will start with a few kg of LR

By the way, does anyone know where i can get good but not too expensive LR to start with, and also how do i know if its good LR or not?

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

Me, if you don't mind the drive to JHB. I will be posting 100 Kg's in the net couple of days. cool rock :)

16. Mr.Mandarin

Cool, where in JHB and how much?

17. Andreas

Andreas

Welcome to MASA Mandarin:)

18. Warr7207

Warr7207

Randburg, I will post pics and pricing on Friday :)

19. Mr.Mandarin

Hey guys, im getting my water, a few kg LR and lighting saterday:biggrin: but im not sure if i should buy water from my LFS or mix it myself?

Also.... ive been reading some more posts this week and now im all worried about GHA and aiptaisia... anything i can do to avoid/reduce it?

Cool, will have a look thanks

20. Apollo

Apollo

If you're just setting up , you could get the water & salt mix from the LFS.
    In the long run it pays to rather mix the salt water yourself. This is especially useful in the case of emergencies happening when the LFS is closed.

GHA & Aiptasia are all part of reefing. You may or may not get them.

Insofar GHA is concerned , there are a few things you can do to avoid getting an outbreak:

1. Ensure that you use RO water with a TDS of less than 5 ppm or lower. Use only this for all top-ups and waterchanges(with your salt mix of course).
    2. Ensure you have sufficient flow in your tank to avoid dead spots where detritus can settle.
    3. Be diligent with your weekly cleaning schedule (vacuum substrate , blow detritus off rocks etc.)
    4. Run a good PO4 removing compound from the start . Note : the emphasis here is really on getting a quality product. Yes, it costs more but it will save you endless hassles in the long run.
    5. When feeding ensure that you are not adding phosphates to the tank , wherever possible.
    6. Pay close attention to the general health of your tank. If an inmate dies , remove them promptly to avoid them fouling up the water.
    7. Do regular water changes and be diligent with this.

Insofar Aiptasia is concerned : The only way to avoid them is to inspect any LR or Coral frags you are adding to your tank. Chances are however that they will come as hitchikers on your LR.
    Once again , swift action is required once you see them . Nuke them ASAP !

Hope I haven't left anything out.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure !

21. Pete

Pete

:wave2::welcometomasa2:

Recent Posts