Hey guys

Reaction score
Hi there :wave2:

Glad to finally be a part of this forum! I've heard so much about it I couldn't resist joining.

While I don't have any marine tanks per se, I'm very interested in the whole idea of marine fishes and have been dipping my toes in the salty side by messing around with a few brackish tanks.

Unfortunately funding towards the dream marine tank is minimal at the moment, but it'll be up and running someday, sooner or later!:thumbup: Very interested in Lionfish, groupers and puffers, so I have an idea for what I might be planning for...

Anyways, I'll see you guys around the forum.

Cheers
SA

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi SA,
Welcome to MASA, take your time and read as much as you can before spending any hard earned bucks, it could save you lots.

Reaction score
welcometomasa I too love lionfish and puffers, unfortunately the lions eat the groupers often cant have em all at times. But nice choices. Have a read around in the new members forums and have a look at what you could do to start. Nano's arent that expensive comparitively, but for what you are thinking of having you might need something larger. So have a look around, you never know what you might find

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Yeah I've just been cruising between the marine tanks at my pet store, not liking the price so much but hey, ultimately it'll be worth it.

Sorry to throw in a question here, but how much space does a Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish need? I saw some the other day and was curious...

Reaction score
Sorry to throw in a question here, but how much space does a Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish need? I saw some the other day and was curious...
well all lionfish are ambush predators so they dont move about as much as tangs for example, but it would be cruel to keep them in a small enclosure. But i have seen one or two in some of the bigger nanos. So as long as it has decent space it should be ok. Dont be afraid to ask questions, fire away killkanga

Reaction score
Whoa thanks for all the welcomes guys. :thumbup:

Welcome to MASA Salmon Africa :)
I see you based in Durban. Why not join the East Coast Reef Club. Have a read through the forum MASA Reef Club - Durban - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
And pm me or one of the mods should you wish to join :)
I don't think I'll be too keen on joining any reef clubs just yet... for now I'm going to enjoy marine life from 18m below the surface. :biggrin:

Just back to the Dwarf lions though... sorry if I should be starting a new thread about this... but about how many lites are we talking when you say a 'larger nano'?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Whoa thanks for all the welcomes guys. :thumbup:

I don't think I'll be too keen on joining any reef clubs just yet... for now I'm going to enjoy marine life from 18m below the surface. :biggrin:

Just back to the Dwarf lions though... sorry if I should be starting a new thread about this... but about how many lites are we talking when you say a 'larger nano'?
Personally i would think they need a decent space, a 4x2x2 tank would be my minimum for this kind of fish.

Reaction score
A 4'? That's not a bad size to be honest.

I'll just keep my eyes open to see if I can catch a bargain somewhere, who knows.

Thanks for all the help. :)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A 4'? That's not a bad size to be honest.

I'll just keep my eyes open to see if I can catch a bargain somewhere, who knows.

Thanks for all the help. :)
Bigger would be better though;)

Good luck with the project and keep asking the Q's:)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA SalmonAfrica! Great that you found us and have joined MASA!

Please feel free to read as many other "New Members" threads as possible, and also ask as MANY other questions as possible.....

Reaction score
I'm still wondering about where you get all these cool animations from! :lol: But thanks guys...

And Sean, wow, your marine tank is amazing! :thumbup: