Hey guys

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by nepellew, 31 Oct 2010.

1. nepellew

nepellew

Hi guys some help on identifying these things i found in the rock pools on the south coast and if they a good idear keeping and how to feed them thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Has your tank finished cycling yet?

4. Smithers

Smithers

Pic 1 - Its a shrimp!
    Pic 2 - Tube worm that is about to leave its tube.
    Pic 3 - Xenia (Never had any luck with it ... ever)
    Pic 4 - Ditto
    Pic 5 - Zoanthids - They really do well in most tanks.

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

As a general rule, dont take anything out of rockpools unless you know exactly what you taking and what you need to keep it alive.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Last one is green Zoa's, plenty of them on South coast. Once established, they do well. Check around for the purple type.

Look out for a grey slime that could cover the zoa. If you do get it, then immediatly cut the part with the slime away, it will cover the colony quickly and result in all the zoa dying.

Lastly, be extremly carefull with those Zoa's. Actually with the hitchhikers. There could be very small crabs hiding in between those polyps. And they grow big and nasty. Oops, too late, Zoa already in your tank... Ouch.

7. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Ok guys ive removed the tube worm looked kinda freeky haha should i remove the rest or would it live and Viper357 no i havent yet its on its first week so got 3 more , am i taking a chance with this should i just remove every thing and leave the tank to cycle thanks ,oh and the shrimp was in the tank with the live rock already haha i dident get it out if the rock pools

Last edited: 1 Nov 2010
  8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi there bud .... haste makes waste ... Unfortunately you really need to b e patient .... you need to wait about 6 weeks for your tank to settle before introducing livestock .... By then your tank should be stable enough

9. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

so do u suggest I remove them and once my tank has cycled then start to add stuff , oh and how do you clean this brown algae off my tank

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

This is a tough call as the humane thing to do is to remove them as the tank as it goes through its cycling process of having nitrates,nitrites, ammonia and other water parameters changing and causing discomfort to the living conditions for your livestock and most probably death but on the other hand "legally" speaking you are not allowed to reintroduce livestock once it has been in your tank as you may carry a "gogga" back to ocean which can infect the livestock there and though sounds a bt far fetched but can actually wipe out an entire coastline .... Kind of taking one infected person and putting them together with others that have not been in contact with that germ ... Their immune system will still have to develope antibodies to fight of the new infection ... So really a tough decision bud .....

11. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

thanks

Thanks so much guys for the help I know what you guys mean I guess we all get a little impeccant and want to make it quicker , by the way my water smells kind of funny not sure what describes it best but it don’t smell like sea water um and now I’m going to remove these things I have added and let my tank cycle properly will carry on and be patient ha-ha I do have a star polyps in their growing on one of the live rock so will leave him there the guys have told me he will be fine I’m waiting for my sump then will get my piping and do all the things I need to make it work , I’m sure this will help me in the long run but from that I’m going to wait thanks again guys .......:p

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Pleasure buddy ... A good routine in the future is setup a temporary holding facility for livestock caught in the ocean .... doesn't have to be a tank ... could be a few buckets or a spare tank or utility bins ..... Then you catch your goodies, bring them home with water from where you collected them ... Put them in their temporary homes, then post some pics and seek advice before introducing them into your tank ...... then if they are a nono then you can just pop them back into the sea ... Just dont mix these containers with your permanent setups water ....

13. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Good advice from the guys above, but if you want to pop those zoas in a bag and send them to me, I'd be cool with that! LOL!

14. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Hi guys anything I should worry about after tanking those things out of my tank got some green and brown algae growing on the glass, oh and one more thing my temp seems quiet high 30'c need to know what I can do to keep it down e.g. fans, oh I get my sump Friday so will that help thanks again guys

15. rakabos

rakabos

You have asked so many questions in so many threads. Advice was given but you never seem to follow it dude. Whats the point in cycling a tank, or rather calling it that, and then stocking it (with things you have no clue how to care for).

hmmm????????????????????????????

16. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

You know what boet ive made a common mistake that all beginners make trying to rush the process but i get it now and see that it is a big deal for all sea life and now intend to wait my 4-6 weeks up its been going on two weeks now and friday i get my sump so have to set that up so dont be so harsh please ....

17. rakabos

rakabos

All I'm saying is you seem to be very reactive with your setup, you do something then ask us why it didnt work or something went wrong etc. Be more pro-active, google it first or ask here before you do something you are unsure of. Remember when you put live stock in your tank it is EXTREMELY difficult to catch it later if you want to remove it, when you have a lot of rock in the tank...

So research first, then action it. Almost like saying measure twice, cut once. It's the only way you will get it right. Now, ask away ;)

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there bud .... your sump will help with evaporation and cooling but when your wallet is smiling a little might be wise to invest in a chiller .... A bit heavy on the pocket but helps in keeping temperature constant .... Something we all strive for in our setups ...STABILITY..... Dont mind rakabos .... Not taking sides here bud some of here are a bit hardcore about the well being of livestock .... I remember a while back a good few members got alot of tongue lashings when they were not listening ... Granted yours was an honest newbies mistake ... Just dont take it too much to heart but do pay attention when advice is given as you will find that most of us are very passionate about conservation and sometimes do come down very hard on newbies ... Thank your lucky stars crispin didn't get hold of you ......

19. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

never take it personally......... always take it seriously...

Remember if you add a dsb to your sump and live rock to your sump your cycle will to some extent start again.

Also is that a local shrimp? did you get the rock from a pool?

20. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the response I fully understand the reason I’m on this website is to learn and try my best when I do have some knowledge to help other newbie’s but thanks for the heads up (Saltyreef have no idea he was on the live rock I bought from the pet shop, so every one suggests that I start the cycle process again after adding the sump..

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

He he ... bud WE not suggesting it .... Its Mother Natures Law that WILL be enforced and there is sweet nothing we mere mortals can do about it:lol: Enjoy the ride bud ... theres plenty of rewards if you are patient and allow nature to take its course ... There will be plenty of stuff going on in your tank while its cycling and algae blooms will be part of it ..... Just keep us in the loop and keep up with the water checks ... In the meantime spend time here with us little crazy guys ... before you know it the tank would have cycled and you will be on your way to fulfilling reefing ....

Recent Posts